Windows 10: Modify default folder locations

Discus and support Modify default folder locations in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My new computer has an SSD drive [C:] and a 1TB hard drive [D:], I'd like to change the default Documents and Pictures folders to the D: drive, is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by rboppy, Feb 16, 2017.

1. rboppy Win User

Modify default folder locations

My new computer has an SSD drive [C:] and a 1TB hard drive [D:], I'd like to change the default Documents and Pictures folders to the D: drive, is there a registry tweak that will do that?

:)

rboppy, Feb 16, 2017

2. When I move My Files To New Internal Drive, Folder Icons That I've Set Disappear

Hi,

The reason why the icon wont copy because its a different file location and will automatically set to default ones the folder/files went out the drive. We tried to re create the issue and we found this:

• Moving/copying a modified icon folder from a drive to another set the folder icon back to default.
    • Moving/copying modified icon folder from a drive to any sub folder with in the drive will not set the icon to default.
    Regards.

Angelo Bar, Feb 16, 2017
  3. how do I uninstall something that was put in c:/programfiles in windows 10?

Hello,

In Windows OS, by default, software get installed on your System Drive, usually C drive, in the Program Files folder. It’s a convention that ensures proper inter-operation between your program and the OS’s application and security models. So, once software
    programs are installed they go by default to C:\Program files on the computer. This can, however, be changed by selecting another folder or location or partition. To change the default installation folder, the data must be modified in the ProgramFilesDir
    key and a new path must be chosen for the installation folder.models. So, once software programs are installed they go by default to C:\Program files on the computer.

Kindly take note that Microsoft does not support changing the location of the Program Files folder by modifying the ProgramFilesDir registry value. It states that if you change the location of the Program Files folder, you may experience problems with some
    Microsoft programs or with some software updates.

Let us know if that worked out for you.

Marilou Ser, Feb 16, 2017
  4. rboppy Win User

Got it. Settings, Storage, done!

rboppy, Feb 17, 2017
Thema:

1. Modify default folder locations - Similar Threads - Modify default folder

2. Change Default Location of Picture Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Default Location of Picture Folder: I want to change the default location of my pictures folder from out of my OneDrive and just under the main user folder. I keep getting this error. Is there a workaround for this?...
  3. Change Default Location of Picture Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Default Location of Picture Folder: I want to change the default location of my pictures folder from out of my OneDrive and just under the main user folder. I keep getting this error. Is there a workaround for this?...
  4. Cannot retrieve default file location of folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot retrieve default file location of folder: Suddenly, my OneDrive started syncing with everything in m desktop including the folders. I tried restoring the default folder and it says "Can't move folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access denied." So I transferred all the...
  5. Cannot retrieve default file location of folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot retrieve default file location of folder: Suddenly, my OneDrive started syncing with everything in m desktop including the folders. I tried restoring the default folder and it says "Can't move folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access denied." So I transferred all the...
  6. Modify folder ..?

in Windows 10 Support
    Modify folder ..?: Hi All Is there a way to get rid of folder infos ..? [img] Thanks 139798
  7. Restoring Default User Folder Locations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restoring Default User Folder Locations: Hello. A couple weeks ago I did a fresh install of Windows and all my folders are in particular locations across multiple drives. Now, while I was configuring the location of my Downloads folder while formatting my backup/downloads HDD (Seagate BarraCuda), I had temporarily...
  8. Cannot restore default location of Documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot restore default location of Documents folder: I accidentically set the location of my Documents folder to D:\ and now cannot restore it to C:\Users\MyName\Documents. When I try this I get the message "Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under D:\System Volume Information. Access is denied". How can I...
  9. Changing default folder location in the start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing default folder location in the start menu: Hi there! On the start - sorry for any possible mistakes, English is my second language ;) I've got everything set up perfectly, the problem is, that I want default Windows buttons in my start bar (The Documents, Images and Personal Files ones)...
  10. Changing default folder locations for Public users

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing default folder locations for Public users: I've upgraded two machines going from a single 1T hard drive to a SSD and a 1T hard drive for data. I was able to change the default user file locations for docs, pics, music, video, and download. When I went to do the same for the public user, I was not allowed to change the...