Windows 10: Modify Wi-Fi Preferences in Win10 Pro

Discus and support Modify Wi-Fi Preferences in Win10 Pro in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I'm running Win10 Pro on SurfaceBook. Can anyone suggest method or link to modifying Wi-Fi network preferences or order? Selecting and searching... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by 1SWeber, May 29, 2019.

1. 1SWeber Win User

Modify Wi-Fi Preferences in Win10 Pro

Hi, I'm running Win10 Pro on SurfaceBook. Can anyone suggest method or link to modifying Wi-Fi network preferences or order? Selecting and searching Help provided unrelated topics or results - no support. Thanks in advance. Steve

:)

1SWeber, May 29, 2019

2. Trouble Changing Wi-Fi Password

I've been following the following steps to change my Wi-Fi password for some time:

1. Launch Control Panel.
    2. Click "Network and Internet."
    3. Click "Network and Sharing Center."
    4. Click "Wi-Fi...."
    5. Click "Wireless Properties."
    6. Click the Security tab.
    7. Check "Show characters."
    8. Enter the password in "Network security key."
    Those steps have been working just fine, but today I discovered a new wrinkle. If I change the password inside the router first, "Wi-Fi..." doesn't appear in step 4. This isn't much of a problem at home, because I can just change the password in Control Panel before I change it inside the router, but it would be a problem at a public hotspot, or something of that nature. I also tested Brink's instructions in "How to Connect To a Wireless Network in Windows 10," but they don't work for me either. How can I fix this?

gregyurkon, May 29, 2019
  3. johnny234 Win User
    Windows 10 stop automatically connecting to random new wi-fi networks

Hi,

I have searched a lot, but all the tutorials I found only explained how to not connect automatically to a known wi-fi network or how to disable wi-fi sense... but this is not what I am looking for...

PROBLEM:

• When my laptop (Windows 10 Pro X64) is not connected to a network and the wireless adapter is on, it will automatically connect to any random new unsecured wi-fi network... The only way I have now to avoid this is to disable my wi-fi adapter.

UNUSEFUL TUTORIALS I FOUND ON THE INTERNET:

• How to manually uncheck the option for a particular wi-fi network not to connect automatically in Network Properties. This is not what I am looking for. This would suggest that everytime I power my computer. I would have to manually go through all the available wi-fi networks and unclick them all...
    • How to disable Wi-Fi Sense. This is not useful, because I don't even have a Wi-Fi sense option in my computer where the tutorials say it should be.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:

• I am looking for an option to tell my computer to stop connecting randomly to unknown wi-fi networks like an hyperactive, reckless idiot.

PERSONAL COMMENT:

• Honestly, why would any respectable company think that it could be somewhat wise or secure to do this... Anyone's computer could just randomly connect to any hacker's wi-fi network without the user even knowing it...

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

johnny234, May 29, 2019
  4. Modify Wi-Fi Preferences in Win10 Pro

Wi-Fi errors (Windows 10)

I'm currently troubleshooting a HP laptop (HP G62-a10SQ to be more specific). The problem is that it doesn't want to connect to any Wi-Fi network. It leaves me with the generic error "Can't connect to this network." I've tried these steps so far

• Restarting the computer
    • Flushing DNS
    • Releasing and renewing the ipconfig
    • Uninstalling the driver
    • Reinstalling the driver
    • Reseating the Wi-FI module
    • Checking Windows Update for any drivers
    • Updating the driver in Device Manager
    • Temporarily removing my Wi-Fi encryption
    • Trying to connect to a different Wi-Fi network outside of my network
    • Probably more troubleshooting steps I can't remember atm (I will edit the post if I remember anything)

DoNotSpamPls, May 29, 2019
Thema:

Modify Wi-Fi Preferences in Win10 Pro

1. Modify Wi-Fi Preferences in Win10 Pro - Similar Threads - Modify Preferences Win10

2. Band Preference missing in Wi-Fi adapter propertie.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Band Preference missing in Wi-Fi adapter propertie.: I'm trying to change my 2.4GHz band on my Wi-Fi adapter to 5GHz but the 'band preference' is missing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/band-preference-missing-in-wi-fi-adapter-propertie/1fcb5ae1-1211-47ba-ad9c-085337db6de5
  3. Band Preference missing in Wi-Fi adapter propertie.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Band Preference missing in Wi-Fi adapter propertie.: I'm trying to change my 2.4GHz band on my Wi-Fi adapter to 5GHz but the 'band preference' is missing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/band-preference-missing-in-wi-fi-adapter-propertie/1fcb5ae1-1211-47ba-ad9c-085337db6de5
  4. Win10 Home 2004 Wi-Fi not enabling

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 Home 2004 Wi-Fi not enabling: I have Windows 10 Home 2004 and when going to the adapter settings, Wi-Fi just says “Enabling” Help! submitted by /u/ATastyBiscuit [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gweh5l/win10_home_2004_wifi_not_enabling/
  5. Wi-fi problems after Win10 update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wi-fi problems after Win10 update: I am able to connect to the wi-fi router but it gives me the following message "no internet, secured". Internet works fine when ethernet cable is plugged in and cell phone also has connects to same router and has internet via wi-fi. The router is part of cable company's...
  6. Frequent Wi-Fi problems only on win10

Frequent Wi-Fi problems only on win10: Like every 10-30 minutes I get dns error(or no internet connection error or site can't be reached) on Chrome that lasts for like couple minutes or until I manually reconnect. It's a new laptop with fresh install of win10 home and I updated both win10 and chrome to latest...
  7. Prefer Wi-Fi over Ethernet

Prefer Wi-Fi over Ethernet: Situation: My PC is connected to a switch via Ethernet. Recently I bought a Wi-Fi card Asus PCE-AC56. I get a gigabit connection to the switch, but the wired connection to the switch is just 25Mbit because of crappy DLAN. With Wi-Fi I get the full 100Mbit over 5Ghz....
  8. Panasonic Toughbook, Wi-Fi and Win10

Panasonic Toughbook, Wi-Fi and Win10: I have the Panasonic CF-52 laptop that has the wifi switch. When logging in from boot or sleep even though the Intel 6200 wifi card is on at the switch Win10 would show the wifi as off. This required turning the switch off and then back to on to get the wifi up and running...
  9. Win10 Wi-Fi issues.

Win10 Wi-Fi issues.: I was using 1903 and my Wi-Fi started behaving strange, some sites were loading normally while some sites refused to go past TLS handshake. I reinstalled the OS, still the issue persisted. Upgraded to 1909, same issue. If I tether my android phone then it works flawlessly....
  10. win10 wi-fi home sharing

win10 wi-fi home sharing: In win10, wi-fi, 2 win10 computers connected to the internet via modem/router. Computers cannot see each other, cannot share. In File explorer, on the share tab, the share icon is grayed out. Connection properties are set to private. able to ping each other. Both units as a...