Windows 10: modifyed imageres.dll preventing windows startup

Discus and support modifyed imageres.dll preventing windows startup in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi guys, after various experiments about Windows customization i found out two things: 1) The registry way is the safest, plus it's "portable". But... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Barnack, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Barnack Win User

modifyed imageres.dll preventing windows startup

Hi guys,
    after various experiments about Windows customization i found out two things:
    1) The registry way is the safest, plus it's "portable". But you HAVE to know the apparently meaningless numbers sequence that identifyes every icon within imageres.dll (if there's a logic i'd really like to know it). Without a full list i can't do all i wish.
    2) Directly editing imageres.dll is fastest, more direct, and you can easily modify every single icon.

I found that many people customized icons by modifying imageres.dll. But everytime i try it, after computer shutdown i can't boot anymore. Windows gives Always different bsod errors apparently completely unrelated to imageres.dll. First times i thought there was nothing in common, and probably i had an hardware problem. Still, just renaming my "imageres.dll.old" to "imageres.dll" (which was the original one) and deleting my custom "imageres.dll" Windows magically boots without problems...

Just... why? Why does a file which only contains images prevent from booting giving errors like "kernel file damged" or other random stuff?

:)

Barnack, Sep 12, 2016
  2. ArifFebri Win User

How to Restore windows 10 system icons

Not help, because its modifying system files (imageres.dll, imagesp1.dll, zipfidr.dll)

I need backup original of imageres.dll, imagesp1.dll, zipfidr.dll for build 1703

ArifFebri, Sep 12, 2016
  3. {T}erry Win User
    Windows 10 Annivesary update: still no Startup sound

Where is the win 7 startup sound in imageres.dll?

{T}erry, Sep 12, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I modify mine using a program called Icon Changer and its default Win 7 icon library. I've never had the difficulties you mention.

This is mine for the anniversary edition x64. You can download it and try it if you wish.
    Dropbox - imageres.zip

(Hope I've used Dropbox correctly.. not sthg I use).

dalchina, Sep 12, 2016
  5. Barnack Win User
    well at least now i know that the solution for even the most scary error is just... restore original imageres.dll xD
    i'll try yours later, then if it doesn't give problems for 3 or 4 startups i'll use the program you said. Ty a lot for advices

Barnack, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. modifyed imageres.dll preventing windows startup - Similar Threads - modifyed imageres dll

2. give me the **** windows 11 imageres dll and shell32 dll so i can get the icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    give me the **** windows 11 imageres dll and shell32 dll so i can get the icons: THERES LITERALLY NO DOWNLOADS ONLINE WHEN I SEARCHED AND I TRIED TO USE A VIRTUAL MACHINE TO INSTALL WIN11 JUST TO GET THE ICONS BUT THE VIRTUAL MACHINE WOULDNT LET ME INSTALL BUT I DONT CARE ABOUT THAT AND NO I DONT WANT TO DOWNLOAD AN ICON PACK AND I WOULD RATHER NOT TELL...
  3. give me the **** windows 11 imageres dll and shell32 dll so i can get the icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    give me the **** windows 11 imageres dll and shell32 dll so i can get the icons: THERES LITERALLY NO DOWNLOADS ONLINE WHEN I SEARCHED AND I TRIED TO USE A VIRTUAL MACHINE TO INSTALL WIN11 JUST TO GET THE ICONS BUT THE VIRTUAL MACHINE WOULDNT LET ME INSTALL BUT I DONT CARE ABOUT THAT AND NO I DONT WANT TO USE AN ICON PACK AND I WOULD RATHER NOT TELL WHY I...
  4. MBCfg64.dll error on startup.

in Windows 10 Support
    MBCfg64.dll error on startup.: Ok... So I've been getting this "There was a problem starting C:\Windows\System32\MBCfg64.dll The specified module could not be found." When I boot my PC I've tried updating drivers and tried to look through startup for a likely culprit to this error, and search the...
  5. Startup Run DLL error on startup

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Startup Run DLL error on startup: On startup, I get message "There was a problem starting C\:Users\rober\cnmss The module could not be found" I "x" out of it, and it doesn't seem to effect anything. Is there something I should be doing about this?...
  6. How to prevent "Modified on" date from changing during update?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to prevent "Modified on" date from changing during update?: I organize my files using the "Date Modified" date and when some event happens, maybe the system updates ? It's as if I restored files from one HDD to another, even tho I didn't. I will then find all of the "Modified On" dates have changed to the current date from what...
  7. Preventing DLL hijacking in C# application

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Preventing DLL hijacking in C# application: The RpcRtRemote.dll can be used to perform DLL Hijacking attack on our Windows app. Simply by planting the DLL within the same folder as our app, the executable file will execute the malicious DLL code. My security vendor advised me to bundle the actual DLL file with the...
  8. Prevent iTunes from loading on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prevent iTunes from loading on startup: Since I've upgraded to Windows 10, iTunes keeps loading on startup. I looked in the task manager under Startup, and disabled iTunesHelper. I don't see any other apps listed under Startup that are associated with iTunes or any other apple software. Am I missing something?...
  9. Prevent Onedrive from Syncing at Startup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Prevent Onedrive from Syncing at Startup: Is there a way to prevent Onedrive from syncing at startup or perhaps completely disable it altogether? My reason for doing it is quite obscure and I not sure I can explain. Thank you. 4197
  10. DLL files missing at startup

in Windows 10 Support
    DLL files missing at startup: Hi everyone I upgraded my laptop from Windows 8 to 10 a few months back. Of recent, my system displays two error signs whenever I start the system There was a problem starting C:/users/appdata/local/webrest/bin/webrest.dll and...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows10 imageres.dll imagesp1.dll zipfidr.dll