Windows 10: Modifying Registry with "reg" file

Discus and support Modifying Registry with "reg" file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I exported a HKCU key and saved it as a reg file. I now want to import it to another HDD. Prior to doing this I noticed the properties list in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dw85745, Mar 29, 2020.

1. dw85745 Win User

Modifying Registry with "reg" file

I exported a HKCU key and saved it as a reg file.
    I now want to import it to another HDD.
    Prior to doing this I noticed the properties list in the Receiving system:
    1) Contains the same list of items
    BUT
    2) Are in a different order than the exported file.

What to confirm whether this matters when I import the file --or -- if regedit will handle accordingly (update the correct key) ?

Thanks
    David

:)

dw85745, Mar 29, 2020
  2. DCnewbie Win User

Are my Registry Files all legitimate programs?

Isn't there a web tool whereby I can check if programs listed in my REGISTRY FILES are legitimate programs?

DCnewbie, Mar 29, 2020
  3. Edwin Win User
    Adapting .REG Files.

I would also suggest creating the entries manually so it's not such a pain to modify one or more at a time...

Modifying Registry with "reg" file [​IMG]

Edwin, Mar 29, 2020
  4. CarolLJ Win User

DELETION OF FILES MODIFIED BY VIRUS IN FILE REGISTRY

Kindly provide suggestions on how to permanently remove these files or on how to remove the modified files in windows registry.

You do NOT need to remove files or registry entries manually.

From Microsoft's site: Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly
    by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system.

You've only killed the running processes so far. Until you remove the malware that's creating those processes and registry entries, it'll likely keep appearing in startup. What you need to do is run anti-malware
    scans to remove the malware permanently that's creating those processes.

First, open Control Panel. Under Programs and Features - Uninstall a program, check for anything suspect and remove/uninstall it. If unsure, leave it alone. Note: This will only 'start' the uninstall process. Then run Disk Cleanup to clear out temp, temp internet
    files, cookies, etc.

After which, run Rkill again if necessary to kill those processes before running these malware removal programs.

How to Remove Adware from a PC

How to find and clean malware infections with
    Emsisoft Emergency Kit

Edit: Just FYI, I Googled a couple of those entries. According to Symantec, one of those entries: Trojan.Egguard is a Trojan horse that downloads malicious files and injects malicious javascript into
    web pages on a compromised computer. Trojan.Egguard Another site says it's PUP.

It may be necessary for you to seek further help on a specialty forum if those steps don't get rid of it. Let us know how things go after following above steps.

CarolLJ, Mar 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Modifying Registry with "reg" file - Similar Threads - Modifying Registry reg

2. Registry Modified

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry Modified: I believe that someone changed my registry values, probably an intruder program. I cannot access certain programs as it specifies that this application is managed by your organization but as it happens, I don't have any organization or control party. How can I set my registry...
  3. Reg file Please

Reg file Please: Hello Had a look round the net to see if I can find a reg file to remove digital signatures tab in Windows 10 1809 x64 context menu properties for .exe files.Plenty of other edits but none for what I need. Does anyone have such a reg file or can point me to regedit to remove...
  4. Modify this .reg to take ownership of just the drive?

Modify this .reg to take ownership of just the drive?: So im trying to polish off a big ole fancy context menu and I want to add the ability to take ownership of a drive (non system ofc) the conventional Code: @="powershell -windowstyle hidden -command \"Start-Process cmd -ArgumentList '/c takeown /f \\\"%1\\\" /r /d y &&...
  5. Adapting .REG Files.

Adapting .REG Files.: I came across these somewhere [sorry I can't remember where or I would credit the owner]. I know that Icon and Position are optional, but MUIVerb and SubCommands are compulsory. Code: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\AdvancedStartupOptions]" MUIVerb"="Advanced...
  6. Modify this .reg to take ownership of just the drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Modify this .reg to take ownership of just the drive?: So im trying to polish off a big ole fancy context menu and I want to add the ability to take ownership of a drive (non system ofc) the conventional Code: @="powershell -windowstyle hidden -command \"Start-Process cmd -ArgumentList '/c takeown /f \\\"%1\\\" /r /d y &&...
  7. Adapting .REG Files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adapting .REG Files.: I came across these somewhere [sorry I can't remember where or I would credit the owner]. I know that Icon and Position are optional, but MUIVerb and SubCommands are compulsory. Code: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\AdvancedStartupOptions]" MUIVerb"="Advanced...
  8. Double click on *.reg file does NOT change the key value in Registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Double click on *.reg file does NOT change the key value in Registry: I have a *.reg script which just modifies (overwrites) the value of a certain, existing Registry key. When I double click on it (similar to Win7) then a popup appears asking me if I really want to add the key. After clicking Ok I was informed that the key value has been...
  9. .reg file error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    .reg file error: Hi,I tried to change windows 10 font style by running a reg file- Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts] "Segoe UI (TrueType)"="" "Segoe UI Bold (TrueType)"="" "Segoe UI Bold Italic (TrueType)"="" "Segoe...
  10. A REGISTRY mystery - reg file doesn't import properly

in Windows 10 Support
    A REGISTRY mystery - reg file doesn't import properly: I have imported hundreds of reg files into every windows build since 95, now I run into another W10 mystery. I have a complete export of the key REPETIER. When I import it some REG_SZ entries do not import. This is an unmodified export of a sub-key under Repetier. reg...