Windows 10: Modifying the hidden Recovery folder?

Discus and support Modifying the hidden Recovery folder? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I work in IT for a higher learning institution. We deploy out about 210 laptops a year to students who lease the laptops and end up purchasing them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by TimTheEnchanter, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Modifying the hidden Recovery folder?

I work in IT for a higher learning institution. We deploy out about 210 laptops a year to students who lease the laptops and end up purchasing them after graduation. This creates some headaches.. To make a long story short, the laptops are basically the modified OEM image (I get the install media from the manufacturer and I boot into audit mode, make some changes, add some scripts, reseal and deploy).

In Win 8/8.1 I was able to also modify the recovery/reset partition by overwriting the wim image with my own captured image.

In Windows 10 the push-button reset doesn't seem to work this way. I researched some of my options and it looks like a 3rd party partition backup or setting up a provisioning package with ADT were my only real options.

However, I did some digging and managed to find a way of overwriting the unattend.xml file and adding my own startup scripts by adding some files to the hidden C:\Recovery\OEM folder. This SEEMS to work exactly like I want it to. The computer does its reset process and when it boots it uses my unattend.xml and runs my configuration scripts.

My question is... Is this an acceptable method? I seem to be coming up dry looking for official MS documentation stating one way or the other.

:)

TimTheEnchanter, Jul 31, 2017

2. Where is files of installed program?

Yes they are hidden files,,,,

Note that modifying those is at your own risk....

It may lead to system instability

aco99---01, Jul 31, 2017
  3. New Dell with Windows 10 - can't create recovery USB - can someone help?

Further investigation seems to indicate the following;

1. If you do a clean install of win 10 (meaning wiping the drive and installing), a hidden partition

of 450mg is created. Disk Management shows this partition as "Healthy Recovery". Again,

this partition is hidden.

2. If you do an upgrade of win 7 or win 8, 8.1 and you had no hidden recovery partition

created by Microsoft, you will not get one when you upgrade to Win 10.

I could be wrong, but you can't create a Recovery Drive if you don't have a hidden healthy 450mb

or larger recovery partition.

Can anyone confirm this?

snifferpro, Jul 31, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Modifying the hidden Recovery folder?

Tony K, Aug 1, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    If it works fine - MS do not impose any restrictions on how to do something.

It would be interesting if you could share principles of how you changed things for our education Modifying the hidden Recovery folder? :).

cereberus, Aug 1, 2017
  6. It's ridiculously simple, so much so that it make me nervous... - In the C:\Recovery\OEM folder there's a directory structure as the computer will be when going through the reset process - a folder called C will be the root of the drive. It seems to copy over this structure even when creating reset media. Within the "C" folder there's a copy of a default unattend.xml - located at C:\Recovery\OEM\C\Windows\Panther\unattend.xml (there's not much in there and there was a reference to a startup script I wasn't sure what it did, but I just added it to my modified unattend, just in case). I simply overwrote this with my own unattend which includes references to startup scripts located at %localdir%\Scripts\* and I copied my scripts folder into the "root" folder... so C:\Recovery\OEM\C\Scripts\*.

That's it. Now when I do reset/recovery it uses my unattend, creates my accounts and runs my scripts.

I'm not fully read up on this stuff for windows 10 and I THINK that Windows updates can overwrite these changes.... so I made another quick script/package to set these things back to the way I like them so I can run that before running the reset process.

My first go at it, I was taking ownership of c:\Recovery so I could make the changes and copy the files, but now I'm using psexec to run the script to make these changes so I don't have to alter any permissions - NT Authority/System still owns Recovery.

I can't say that this will work with every OEM install of Win 10.

TimTheEnchanter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Modifying the hidden Recovery folder?

1. Modifying the hidden Recovery folder? - Similar Threads - Modifying hidden Recovery

2. Hidden folder recovery after reinstalling windows 10.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hidden folder recovery after reinstalling windows 10.: I had a hidden folder for my photos and for some reason I reinstalled windows 10. Now, I have padlock icons on my files. I tried a couple of methos to remove the icon but not successful. Anybody had this problem and solved it? Please help me....
  3. Hidden folder recovery after reinstalling windows 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hidden folder recovery after reinstalling windows 10.: I had a hidden folder for my photos and for some reason I reinstalled windows 10. Now, I have padlock icons on my files. I tried a couple of methos to remove the icon but not successful. Anybody had this problem and solved it? Please help me....
  4. Hidden folder recovery after reinstalling windows 10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hidden folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Hidden folders: Here are two folder that you cannot view in File Explorer unless you know the path to them and even if you do, the folder name does not show: C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations...
  6. hidden folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    hidden folders: Hello I was trying to find out if there was anything hidden in my laptop. when I put folders in taskbar and clicked on protected folders Windows Security Came Up Then a message popped up saying: Page Not Available... Your IT administrator has limited access to some areas of...
  7. Hidden folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hidden folders: I would appreciate assistance. I have shared privileges with my Manager. I have access to her Mailbox and have full permissions. I experience the following problem. Recently, when I create a New Folder in Manager's Inbox, the folder in question is not visible on my side....
  8. Modify folder ..?

in Windows 10 Support
    Modify folder ..?: Hi All Is there a way to get rid of folder infos ..? [img] Thanks 139798
  9. HIDDEN hidden folders

in Windows 10 Support
    HIDDEN hidden folders: I was doing backing up of certain files, reg files in particular (take ownership, add copyto, etc) I was using "everything" programs which lists files on all drives. I came across one reg disableanti.reg in a very odd place.I viewed the file in note pad and it said it...
  10. Hidden folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hidden folder: How can I access a file in a hidden folder on my Desktop WITHOUT unhiding the folder? Onlookers need not be aware of the folder's existence, let alone its location . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hidden-folder/3bf8a7d1-28c2-485a-9cb6-b802d05e429e"