Windows 10: Monitor flickering when TV is off

Discus and support Monitor flickering when TV is off in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi everybody, I have a problem of monitor flickering, I searched for hours and didn't find any solution, if somemone has one, it will be wonderfull.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Eric-G, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Eric-G Win User

Monitor flickering when TV is off

Hi everybody,

I have a problem of monitor flickering, I searched for hours and didn't find any solution, if somemone has one, it will be wonderfull.

First, this is my setup :
    - GTX 980 with 1 DVI, 3 DisplayPort and 1 HDMI
    - GTX 980 connected to monitor ROG PG279Q via DisplayPort
    - GTX 980 connected to 4K TV XBR-65X930E via HDMI cable :
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01HFFCDU2/ref=pe_3034960_236394800_FR_TE_dp_1

When only the TV is on, when both the TV and the monitor are on, or when only the monitor is connected to the GPU, there is no problem.

When the TV is off and the monitor is on, the screen flicker black twice every X minutes.
    The solution I have found was to set manually in display setting "Show only screen 1" when TV is off instead of "Duplicate these views".

I go for a trip some weeks, and when I came back, even with "Show only screen 1" setting set, the screen flicker now (I have only update the GPU driver and maybe Windows). I try to install the beta Windows October 2018 update, it not resolve anything. The only way to stop flickering is to detach HDMI cable...

I know one of the possible fix it to change the HDMI cable, but it goes through the wall and will be difficult to change. However, if it was the cable, I don't understand why the problem occurs only when the TV is off.

I can provide you more informations if necessary.

Thanks.

:)

Eric-G, Sep 22, 2018

2. Monitor Dim and Flickers

I have a new Dell Inspiron 3668 cpu and running it with my old Dell ST2010 I have run the windows "troubleshoot screen flickering in Windows 10" from Windows help. When I go to task Mngr. it still flickers. So, I uninstalled the display driver as suggested
    and then ran the "Check for updates". The problem still remains. Any further suggestions?? My next step is to just replace the monitor and assume Windows 10 will not run it!

corvette65, Sep 23, 2018
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    Monitor flicker

Hi,

Screen flickering in Windows 10 is usually caused by an incompatible app or display driver. As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest following the steps provided in this
    article and see if it will work for you.

Get back to us with the result if you need further assistance.

Anne Ros, Sep 23, 2018
  4. Monitor flickering when TV is off

Flickering TV screen

I purchased a new Samsung LED TV and connected the HDMI cable to my Dell XPS PC. The screen flickered quickly from black to desktop image then went completely red. The computer froze. I rebooted and the same thing happened.

Tried a different cable, same problem. I downloaded and installed the new drivers for my AMD Radeon 6450 graphic card. This time the Radeon control panel recognized tv and got a clear picture for a few seconds then back to flickering. This time from image
    to white. Rebooted, and back to black and image flicker.

I connected my monitor and the tv to the pc and got the same results. The monitor gets a clear picture alone.

I am running Windows 10.

What could be the problem and how can I fix that??

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

DanielDelormejl, Sep 23, 2018
Thema:

Monitor flickering when TV is off

1. Monitor flickering when TV is off - Similar Threads - Monitor flickering off

2. The second monitor flickers and turns off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The second monitor flickers and turns off: Hello, I have a laptop and I use a second monitor I have noticed that when I browse certain web pages, my monitor turns off or flickers to off. When I view those web pages on the Laptop screen, the second monitor turns back on and works fine. The laptop screen does not turn...
  3. The second monitor flickers and turns off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The second monitor flickers and turns off: Hello, I have a laptop and I use a second monitor I have noticed that when I browse certain web pages, my monitor turns off or flickers to off. When I view those web pages on the Laptop screen, the second monitor turns back on and works fine. The laptop screen does not turn...
  4. External Monitors Flicker Off and On

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Monitors Flicker Off and On: Hello, I have three 27" Samsung Curved FHD External Monitors connected to an HP G5 USB-C Docking Station. The laptop I use is an HP Elite Book 830. I read a bunch of forums which stated that you will need to "enable high resolution mode when connected to a usb-c dp alt mode"....
  5. External Monitors Flicker Off and On

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Monitors Flicker Off and On: Hello, I have three 27" Samsung Curved FHD External Monitors connected to an HP G5 USB-C Docking Station. The laptop I use is an HP Elite Book 830. I read a bunch of forums which stated that you will need to "enable high resolution mode when connected to a usb-c dp alt mode"....
  6. External Monitors Flicker Off and On

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Monitor flickers off and on periodically

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitor flickers off and on periodically: In my dorm at university my monitor flickers off and on periodically through the day. It's a quick flicker off then on within a couple seconds. This does not happen at my home. Is there a power/monitor setting within windows I should adjust?...
  8. Monitor doesn't turn off when TV is plugged in?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitor doesn't turn off when TV is plugged in?: So here's the set up: WIN10 pro 64bit MSI X470 Gamingplus + AMD Ryzen 7 2700 RTX2070 MSI MAG322CQR (connected with displayport) Samsung TV (connected with HDMI) Now all works fine if I unplug the TV from GPU. But when I plug in the HDMI to connect my TV, my monitor...
  9. Screens flicker when one monitor is off in 4 MONITOR SETUP

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screens flicker when one monitor is off in 4 MONITOR SETUP: Hello, everyone. I'm a video production engineer and have a 4 monitor setup (Windows 10, up to date) in this arrangement: 4K (TV) 1440p - 4K - 1440p All displays work great, but once the monitors go to sleep, the top 4K monitor (which is a Phillips TV)...
  10. Dual Monitor/TV set up turns off both displays when TV turns on

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual Monitor/TV set up turns off both displays when TV turns on: Hi guys, I have a Dell 23" monitor that i have been using on my desktop PC, i recently tried to connect my old TV with HDMI to it with HDMI to HDMI cable as a dual monitor set up or just to use as my default screen when watching movies. When I plug in my Dell monitor...