Windows 10: Monitor for laptop will not extend when power adapter is connected

Discus and support Monitor for laptop will not extend when power adapter is connected in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey all - recently bought a monitor for my laptop. For the past 4 months have been using it as an extended display or the primary display with no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Seneca_the_younger, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Monitor for laptop will not extend when power adapter is connected

Hey all - recently bought a monitor for my laptop. For the past 4 months have been using it as an extended display or the primary display with no issues, connected via USB-C adapter with an HDMI output into the monitor. Yesterday, it started only intermittently recognizing the monitor; my laptop will only duplicate the display. I realized that this happens sometimes not every time when I plug in the power adapter USB-C, different port on the other side of the laptop. When the power is not connected, seems to work fine, sometimes when the power is connected, it won't recognize the mon

:)

Seneca_the_younger, Jun 22, 2021
  2. Arun B J Win User

DVI not working on extended monitor with Surface Book docking station

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Make sure the power light for the docking station is on

• Make sure the monitor is getting power

• Make sure the cable is connected properly to the monitor

• Unplug and reconnect the Mini-DVI adapter on the back of your docking station

• Try flipping the connector for the adapter over (turns out some adapters can go in upside-down)

• Take the Surface out of the docking station then put it back in

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Jun 22, 2021
  3. Double Monitor Setup is not connecting

Hi Yuri,

To setup dual monitors, I suggest you to press Windows + P keys
    and select Extend or the required option and check for status. If you are still unable to setup dual monitor, suggest you to update the Display Adapter driver by following the steps provided below and check for status.

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters.
    • Right click on the driver and select Update Driver Software.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts to update the driver.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jun 22, 2021
  4. Monitor for laptop will not extend when power adapter is connected

using a monitor to extend my screen

Hi Lou,

There are several possible reasons why your LCD monitor suddenly stopped working. It could be that the graphic driver is outdated or could be the cable used is already damaged.

For us to isolate this problem, we would like to ask the following information:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Have you installed any updates?

In the meantime, please try the following suggestions and see if your laptop will detect the LCD monitor:

• Update the graphic card driver. Check out Update drivers in Windows 10 for the steps.
    • Use another cable. Try using another VGA cable to connect the LCD monitor to the laptop.
    • Connect the LCD monitor to another computer. To help us isolate the issue, try connecting the LCD monitor to a different computer.

Please let us know how it goes. We're looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jun 22, 2021
Thema:

Monitor for laptop will not extend when power adapter is connected

1. Monitor for laptop will not extend when power adapter is connected - Similar Threads - Monitor laptop extend

2. Laptop connected to monitor. Laptop no longer powers up when the lid is closed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop connected to monitor. Laptop no longer powers up when the lid is closed.: My laptop is connected via an hdmi cable to a monitor. I was always able to power up the laptop with the lid closed. After a recent update was installed, I no longer can power up the system unless I raise the cover. What changed?...
  3. Laptop connected to monitor. Laptop no longer powers up when the lid is closed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop connected to monitor. Laptop no longer powers up when the lid is closed.: My laptop is connected via an hdmi cable to a monitor. I was always able to power up the laptop with the lid closed. After a recent update was installed, I no longer can power up the system unless I raise the cover. What changed?...
  4. Connecting Dual Mode Monitor As A Extender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting Dual Mode Monitor As A Extender: Hi I Am Mangal Ram And I Uses Windows 10 I Wanted To Extend My Screen 1. can I Extend My Screen With VGA Y Splitter * I Wanted To Extend My Screen not to Duplicate My Screen2. Or If you have other method to do it * I Have One VGA port And No HDMI port can you tell me how to...
  5. Connecting Dual Mode Monitor As A Extender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connecting Dual Mode Monitor As A Extender: Hi I Am Mangal Ram And I Uses Windows 10 I Wanted To Extend My Screen 1. can I Extend My Screen With VGA Y Splitter * I Wanted To Extend My Screen not to Duplicate My Screen2. Or If you have other method to do it * I Have One VGA port And No HDMI port can you tell me how to...
  6. Dual Monitor flickering when extended

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual Monitor flickering when extended: So I have bought a PC in July 2020. I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with a Radeon 5700 XT. And for some reason when I connect a second display and put it on extended mode it starts to flicker every second until I turn it off again. It works if I use Radeon Eyeinfinty or what ever...
  7. Dual monitor flickering when extended

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual monitor flickering when extended: So I have bought a PC in July 2020. I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with a Radeon 5700 XT. And for some reason when I connect a second display and put it on extended mode it starts to flicker every second until I turn it off again. It works if I use Radeon Eyeinfinty (or what ever...
  8. When using Extend monitor, the monitor extended is going to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    When using Extend monitor, the monitor extended is going to sleep: I need some assistance. I have a new Acer monitor that I hooked to my X1 Carbon Lenovo laptop. When I am in duplicate monitor mode everything works great. However when I put the computer in extend mode, I am having issues. The monitor extends as expected, but if I do not...
  9. Error when I connect Power adapter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Error when I connect Power adapter: Dear Team, When I connect my power adapter there is a strange error window pops up and it is very annoying. Could you please check the attached screen shot and help me to resolve this. Best Regards, Syed Muzammil. [ATTACH]...
  10. Wifi connection lost when power adapter is connected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi connection lost when power adapter is connected: Hello everybody and thank you in advance for your time. My name is . It's been a while, my beloved laptop Lenovo Y50 running Windows 10 pro, keeps losing wifi connectivity a couple of minutes after I plug it in. It works normally once I disconnect the power adapter. I...