Windows 10: Monitor functionning in HDR even if turned off in windows.

Discus and support Monitor functionning in HDR even if turned off in windows. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi, Monitor: AW2721dGPU: TUF 3080Cable: Display port.Everything was fine last week. And on a boot I did nothing unusual, got that oversatured colors... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Patrick Beauchemin, Dec 4, 2023.

1. Monitor functionning in HDR even if turned off in windows.

Hi, Monitor: AW2721dGPU: TUF 3080Cable: Display port.Everything was fine last week. And on a boot I did nothing unusual, got that oversatured colors like the white hurts my eyes..After hours of searching and trying:My monitor is in HDR mode even if windows HDR is off. see image If i activate HDR in windows, it's like grayish washed out AND my monitor is NOT in HDR anymore :O.. It only happens with DP input, it is not the cable, neither the monitor. I tried so much.. DDU, reinstalled drivers, even did a freaking full format of windows. The only way to make it work and for such a short momen

:)

Patrick Beauchemin, Dec 4, 2023
  2. PDRHDR Win User

HDR on HDR monitor causes issue on secondary, non-HDR monitor

I have an Aorus AD27QD (HDR) monitor as my primary display and an ultrawide 34UM88-P (Non-HDR) as my secondary. If HDR is enabled in windows and I go to a full screen video on the non-HDR monitor after a few seconds it will flicker blue then become severely
    washed out. Coming out of full screen fixes this. If HDR is not enabled full screen shows the colors perfectly normally.

Secondarily, with windows HDR on on the Aorus, the colors dim pretty drastically. HDR content great but anything that isnt HDR is dim enough to make me question if my brightness is turned down. (Its not, its 90/100). The white of a plain browser window
    seems so dim its nearly grey. I also tested this on what I know is a particularly vibrant (non-HDR) . HDR on? Terrible and muted. HDR off? Bright and vibrant.

I have played with in-monitor settings, nvidia control panel, factory reset of monitor, basically everything I can think of. Everything points to it being a windows issue.

I also tried out the suggestions from this post. And it pointed me to this
    set of OS release notes
    which didnt solve my issue either.

I could really use some help because I am really feeling like I wasted my money on this monitor.

PC:

i5 7600k

GTX 1080ti

16GB 3000Hz Corsair RAM

Windows, CPU and GPU on latest drivers available.

Monitors:

LG 34UM88-P (HDMI)

Aorus AD27QD (DisplayPort)

PDRHDR, Dec 5, 2023
  3. USB-C connected Monitor become inactive after HDR is turned on in Windows 10

This very similar question has actually been asked here, however the answer with a whole bunch of links didn't help.

I have one HP laptop connecting to the two monitors below:

• LG ULTRAFINE which supports HDR - connect using USB-C to USB-C
    • LG monitor which does not support HDR - connect using USB-C to HDMI
    The laptop itself also does not support HDR.

Both monitors connected as extended, not duplicated, all was working fine.

Then today In windows 10 Display Settings, I noticed the option to turn on HDR, so I turned it on.

Once turned on, the LG ULTRAFINE immediately blacked out. and the HDR on/off setting in Windows display settings disappeared.

I can now still see three monitors in the 'Rearrange your displays' area. However, I can only duplicate output to the ULTRAFINE monitor.

Trying to Extend to the ULTRAFINE, it goes blank again.

Trying to show only on the ULTRAFINE, it automatically set itself to 'Disconnect this display'.

Also tried to use the short-cut keys Windows+Alt+B to toggle HDR which didn't help.

Then I connected the laptop to the ULTRAFINE with a HDMI cable, the monitor can then be extended to again, even with HDR turned on.

So it looks like although Windows was able to detect the ULTRAFINE can support HDR while the monitor was connected through USB-C, HDR isn't really supported by USB-C connection. So once HDR is turned on, the monitor blacks out. BTW, the USB-C cable came with the ULTRAFINE.

Now the question is: How can I reverse the change, so that I can extend to the ULTRAFINE with USB-C again with HDR off?

Please do not just drop a bunch of links in here, as most of the links people drops in their replies really isn't related to the question asked. I'm looking for peoople who really understand what the problem is and how to resolve it. For example, if you know how I can tell windows don't try to send HDR to the USB-C connection any more, without using the HDR switch in Display Settings, that would be really great!

Thank you!

Conway Liu, Dec 5, 2023
  4. Monitor functionning in HDR even if turned off in windows.

Monitor not active after turning on HDR

I recently picked up another monitor, and after turning on HDR on my laptop it went blank and says it's not active. I don't have a way to turn off HDR anywhere (I've looked at tutorials and I don't have the button). How can I activate my external monitor?

Thanks in advance

pedrazafco, Dec 5, 2023
Thema:

Monitor functionning in HDR even if turned off in windows.

1. Monitor functionning in HDR even if turned off in windows. - Similar Threads - Monitor functionning HDR

2. Monitor functionning in HDR even if turned off in windows.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor functionning in HDR even if turned off in windows.: Hi, Monitor: AW2721dGPU: TUF 3080Cable: Display port.Everything was fine last week. And on a boot I did nothing unusual, got that oversatured colors like the white hurts my eyes..After hours of searching and trying:My monitor is in HDR mode even if windows HDR is off. see...
  3. Monitor functionning in HDR even if turned off in windows.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor functionning in HDR even if turned off in windows.: Hi, Monitor: AW2721dGPU: TUF 3080Cable: Display port.Everything was fine last week. And on a boot I did nothing unusual, got that oversatured colors like the white hurts my eyes..After hours of searching and trying:My monitor is in HDR mode even if windows HDR is off. see...
  4. Monitor detecting HDR even if turned off in windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor detecting HDR even if turned off in windows.: Hi, Monitor: AW2721dGPU: TUF 3080Cable: Display port.Everything was fine last week. And on a boot did nothing, got that oversatured colors like the white hurts my eyes..After hours of searching and trying:My monitor is in HDR mode even if windows HDR is off. see image If i...
  5. Monitor detecting HDR even if turned off in windows.

Monitor detecting HDR even if turned off in windows.: Hi, Monitor: AW2721dGPU: TUF 3080Cable: Display port.Everything was fine last week. And on a boot did nothing, got that oversatured colors like the white hurts my eyes..After hours of searching and trying:My monitor is in HDR mode even if windows HDR is off. see image If i...
  6. Monitor detecting HDR even if turned off in windows.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor detecting HDR even if turned off in windows.: Hi, Monitor: AW2721dGPU: TUF 3080Cable: Display port.Everything was fine last week. And on a boot did nothing, got that oversatured colors like the white hurts my eyes..After hours of searching and trying:My monitor is in HDR mode even if windows HDR is off. see image It only...
  7. Cannot project to monitor when turned off HDR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot project to monitor when turned off HDR: Normally, the monitor will auto-project and change the display to fit with screen properties when I connect a monitor to my laptop and close the laptop lid.This time, I use a new S32A70 monitor and found the HDR toggle option in Display setting of Windows 10 version 21H2. I...
  8. Cannot project to monitor when turned off HDR

Cannot project to monitor when turned off HDR: Normally, the monitor will auto-project and change the display to fit with screen properties when I connect a monitor to my laptop and close the laptop lid.This time, I use a new S32A70 monitor and found the HDR toggle option in Display setting of Windows 10 version 21H2. I...
  9. Cannot project to monitor when turned off HDR

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Hdr turns off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hdr turns off: I am on a Gaming Pc to be Exact its my tower hooked to a 4k UHD TV but when I turn HDR on and try to play a game for example, Minecraft it turns itself off https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdr-turns-off/8503274d-b9ff-4f6c-9b16-853a419b6c5b