Windows 10: Monitor Goes Black/To Sleep During Windows 10 Installation

Discus and support Monitor Goes Black/To Sleep During Windows 10 Installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey everyone, I've been dealing with this issue for the past four hours and have tried almost everything I can think of, so I'm hoping someone can help... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by edmonddantes182, May 15, 2020.

1. Monitor Goes Black/To Sleep During Windows 10 Installation

Hey everyone, I've been dealing with this issue for the past four hours and have tried almost everything I can think of, so I'm hoping someone can help me. Also, I apologize because this is going to be a long post.

PC SPECS:
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE AORUS GAMING 5 WIFI
    CPU: AMD RYZEN 2700X (Not O.C)
    RAM: G.SKILLZ 16GB DDR4 3000 MHZ (Not O.C)
    SSD: WESTERN DIGITAL 500GB NVMe
    COOLER: STOCK AMD PRISM COOLER (Came with Ryzen 2700X)
    BIOS VERSION: F50 (Latest One So Far)
    WINDOWS VERSION: 1909

PART ONE
    Earlier today, I had decided that I was going to organize my PSU Cables as my PSU is modular and I realized I only needed/used three of the six cables that were attached to it. As I was going to shut down my PC, I noticed that a Windows Update was pending, so I installed the update and after my computer returned to the login screen, I shut down my PC.

PART TWO
    I then opened my PC and organized the cables, only taking about 15 minutes. After putting the PC case back on and hooking up all the cables again, I turned on my PC and was met with the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen, which weirdly didn't have a loading circle/bar. After twenty minutes of no progress, I turned my PC off and than back on again, and was met with the same screen and waiting twenty more minutes, once again with no loading circle/bar. For the third time, I turned my PC off and than back on again, this time also taking out a single stick of RAM just in case that was the issue. Turning my PC on again, I was met with a different screen saying that "Windows didn't complete the update. Currently undoing changes" and after five minutes was at my login screen. I logged in and remembered that I had taken out a stick of RAM and was now down to 8GB instead of 16GB. I than was about to shut down my PC when I noticed that there was another Windows Update so I did the exact same thing as before, ran the update and once my PC was back at the login screen, I shut down my computer. I than put my other stick of RAM in and than turned my PC back on.

PART THREE
    Once again, I was met with the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen and I realized that the Windows Update must have not finished. I than removed the stick of RAM I had just reinstalled, hoping that that would fix the issue as before, but this time it didn't, as I was still at the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen. I went to the boot menu and tried booting from my SSD (Western Digital, 500GB, Nvme), but my SSD wasn't listed, which was weird because it's my main boot device with Windows installed and was the only HDD/SSD installed in the computer. I than made a bootable USB using Rufus and Microsoft's Media Creation Tool and went to "Repair My Computer." I than ran "Advanced Options" > "Troubleshooting" > "Uninstall Windows Updates" > "Uninstall Windows Quality Updates" and than after the PC restarted and I went to the boot menu, my SSD was listed as a boot device, but when I clicked on it, I was met with the preparing "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen. I tried to remove another Quality and a Feature Update, but Windows now says that "Windows cannot remove the update from your PC. Please reset your computer". I than tried to reset my computer but when I did, I got a "There was an error and Windows cannot reset your PC." I than figured that because of the failed Windows Update, due to me shutting down my computer when I though it was done, my SSD's boot section must have gotten corrupted. I than booted to my bootable USB again and chose to reinstall Windows and here's where I got stuck and I haven't gotten past.

PART FOUR
    When I went to reinstall Windows, I chose my Windows version (Windows 10 Pro), my SSD, and than started to install Windows, but after the install got 6% through "Preparing to install Windows Features", my monitor went black and than went to sleep with "No Signal Detected." I never had that happen before, so I waited five minutes but nothing changed and the screen was still black and I noticed that my mouse wasn't working and wasn't lit up. I than shut down my PC and restarted the install process, but this time, my monitor went black at 75% and the same thing occurred. I tried this about four more times, with the monitor screen going black at different times through the install, once when it was past the install section and was at the "Getting Devices Ready" screen, and once when I wasn't even at the "Installing" screen, just when I was at the "Terms And Agreements" screen and once when I chose to "Repair Windows" and was at the command prompt and was running a "sfc /scannow" and the monitor went black at 100% and at 8% the second time.

I am 99.99% sure this isn't a hardware issue (Video Card, CPU, or RAM) as the black screen only occurs mainly when installing Windows, as it's currently been at the "Select Version" screen of the Windows 10 screen before it starts to install for just over forty minutes and nothing has happened at all and I'm starting to think that the Windows Update I bricked possibly destroyed a boot section on my SSD, as I can get to it in the Command Prompt and get to the "Users/Desktop" and perform a "dir" and see all my files, but whenever I try to install to it, I get the black screen even though the PC is still running. I've tried different USB sticks, running "Startup Repair" but it couldn't fix anything and am now going to create an Ubuntu Live CD just to see. If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

:)

edmonddantes182, May 15, 2020

2. Monitor goes to sleep randomly with windows 10 upgrade

Hi Jaro,

Since you've tried the troubleshooting above, let's proceed to the next troubleshooting steps to further identify the issue. Kindly follow these steps:

Let us know the result.

Raymond Ave, May 15, 2020
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Screen goes black

Hi Kris,

It is possible that your screen goes black may be due to a critical system error which can cause the system to shut down. To isolate your issue, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Did you get any error messages when it turns black?
    • Have you tried checking if the sleep mode is turned on/off?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, we recommend that you perform the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot blank/black screen errors. This will provide you instruction when you see a black screen before signing in to Windows 10 and when you see a black or blank screen after signing in to Windows 10.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, May 15, 2020
  4. Monitor Goes Black/To Sleep During Windows 10 Installation

Monitor not connecting after windows 10 installed

Installed Windows 10 and now my computer is not connecting to monitor. I checked connections. Black screen on monitor, cpu is working, screen shows checking doesn't find connection and goes black. Appreciate suggestions.

LocalladyYO, May 15, 2020
Thema:

Monitor Goes Black/To Sleep During Windows 10 Installation

1. Monitor Goes Black/To Sleep During Windows 10 Installation - Similar Threads - Monitor Goes Black

2. Monitor Goes Black

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor Goes Black: Hey, My current setup is an Acer Laptop with windows 10 connected to an acer monitor and an OLD Lenovo MonitorMy laptop to Acer Monitor works perfect. However, my old Lenovo monitor screen is black and immediately goes into power saving mode when connected to my laptopI...
  3. Monitor goes to sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Monitor goes to sleep: Since I bought a omen 27i I've been having a little problem, when I open certain games such as Trove, Unturned, Muck and a lot more my monitor screen goes black and the monitor goes to sleep. When I press windows or esc or something to close or minimize the app the monitor...
  4. MONITOR GOES TO SLEEP

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    MONITOR GOES TO SLEEP: While working on the computer, it suddenly shut down and went into sleep mode. I cannot "wake it" back up. I have checked all connections and tried to power down completely. when I attempt to wake it up manually, it does through its startup routine and then goes back to...
  5. Monitor goes black

Monitor goes black: My external monitor loses connection with my laptop 3-4 times per week. First it goes to blue screen with no connection message, then it goes black. Sometimes the image returns in 1-3 minutes, often never without ctl-alt-del then signing in to my account. Is this a computer...
  6. monitor goes into sleep mode

monitor goes into sleep mode: If I'm starting up my PC from sleep mode, my monitor goes into sleep mode 5 - 10 seconds after it gets going. If I'm turning on my PC, this isn't an issue; it works fine. My graphics card is up to date. Help!...
  7. Monitor goes to sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Monitor goes to sleep: I have gone into settings and set Scree to Never and Sleep to Never, so why is it doing this? I have even gone to Balanced which is selected and that is never also. What part of don't switch of does windows not understand? 120663
  8. Screen goes black during updates installation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Screen goes black during updates installation: Here is the pic of the update - https://i.imgur.com/OZajxoY.png?1 About 5-10 seconds after clicking on the "install now" button, the screen goes black, and stays black until I have to restart the computer through the button on the cabinet. Any solution ? 43457
  9. Monitor goes to sleep after 10 minutes -- And during movies.

in Windows 10 Support
    Monitor goes to sleep after 10 minutes -- And during movies.: Running a fairly fresh install of Windows 10. (not upgrade). Was having no problems. I really like Windows 10 so far. I upgraded my graphics card from gtx650 to a gtx960 this is when a minor problem began. The monitor turns off after 10 minutes, even if I have 'NEVER'...
  10. Monitor goes to sleep when screen has lot of black.

in Windows 10 Support
    Monitor goes to sleep when screen has lot of black.: Hello, First of all, I can't remember when and how this started, but definitely after upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro. So, my screen (Acer LCD, connected to GTX 560 with 1 meter DVI cable) started going black (power light on, background light completely...