Windows 10: Monitor goes black - Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B

Discus and support Monitor goes black - Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; For anyone having a display adapter keep dropping a second monitor and you know it should be there do Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B. That is a shortcut to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by what happened to us, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Monitor goes black - Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B

For anyone having a display adapter keep dropping a second monitor and you know it should be there do Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B.

That is a shortcut to refresh your display adapters. It will appear to freeze a moment (or go black on all monitors) but it is refreshing the graphic driver.

Here is my experience:

Problem - i have two setups. One with Windows 10 installed directly (personal) and one with Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 (work).

Both are the same model and both use the same docking station. Many co-workers and friends have this same issue where Display 2 goes black.

This seems to happen when the display is idle for too long... For me, at home i use two monitors off the dock - sometimes 3 with the LTop open.

At work, i use three monitors off the docking station directly - Windows 7 never did this but Win10 always has...

For some reason as well it is ALWAYS adapter 2 - never 1, never 3 - just display 2. Clearly there is info there as the mouse travels a distance from 1 to 3 or when just two, the pointer does not stop at the edge - it goes somewhere...

For those who remember, you can do "desk.cpl" to get to the display settings quickly. Right now i was idle for too long away from my laptop & yup, once again, monitor 2 is displaying a black screen. I opened desk.cpl and of course it is on monitor 2 and i cannot see it. Ctrl+Space+M and then move the display to monitor 1 or 2 fine... it detects all three monitors but only 1 and 3 identify - even though it shows a number 2 (funny - number 2 is windows 10).

Even refreshing (Ctrl+R or F5) does not resolve this.

A reboot always resolves this but we shouldn't have to do that.

A quicker fix until there is a fix from MicroSoft for this is to do "Windows +Ctrl+Shift+B" - this reloads the graphics driver.

This will appear to freeze or cause all monitors to go black while it is reloading (only takes a couple seconds) - BAM! Monitor 2 is back displaying again.

Side note: Power users familiar with "Shift+Right Click" to perform "run as another user" notice that while the TaskBar & other areas still have this function, someone forgot to add that to the "start" area. Folks are grouping items there for "ease of use" but then cannot do that - it's an easy reg hack to add it to that area - google it.

:)

what happened to us, Dec 9, 2019

2. Resize and rearrange desktop icons with ctrl+shift+(1-0)

To change your desktop icons from vertical to horizontal, follow the steps below:

• Right-click on your desktop.
    • Select small icons.

Once done, try to change again the size and display of your desktop icons using the
    Ctrl+shift+(1-0) mode and check if the same issue persists.

Let us know how it goes.

Acelyn Alc, Dec 9, 2019
  3. jshell Win User
    windows key + ctrl+shift+b is looping and now 2 of my monitors won't work (originally 1)

So I have 3 monitors and originally 2 of them were working and one wasn't - so I looked around for advice and windows heleper suggested using windows key + ctrl+shift+b so I did, at first I thought wow that was fast since the 3rd monitor appeared - screens
    were all screens flashing on and off as it said it would for a few seconds however this continued for around 10 minutes and by this point I knew something was up - since then i've restarted my pc and also entered safemode - after coming out of safe mode I
    came back to normal and now it is STILL doing this same issue - it seems to keep refreshing the graphics card but monitors 1+2 which were originally working arn't responding at all and the 3rd monitor works for around 6-7 seconds then goes off for 1 second
    CONSTANTLY.

any ideas??

jshell, Dec 9, 2019
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Monitor goes black - Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B

CTRL ALT DEL Black Screen

Hi Dan,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

• Have you installed all pending updates?
    • Are you able to log into Desktop?
    • Is the issue specific to Ctrl + Alt + Del screen?

Black screen error can occur if the computer is not up to date with all Drivers and Windows updates. Install all pending updates and check if that helps.

Refer the link below and perform the troubleshooting steps suggested and check if that helps

Troubleshoot black screen problems.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pavan_N, Dec 9, 2019
Thema:

Monitor goes black - Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B

1. Monitor goes black - Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B - Similar Threads - Monitor goes black

2. black screen - ctrl shift win b schows screen for 1 sec before black again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    black screen - ctrl shift win b schows screen for 1 sec before black again: black screen - ctrl shift win b schows screen for 1 sec before black againSystem:Lenovo ThinkPad X1Windows 11 Pro Insider ProgrammInstalled new Intel display driver since then the problem occured.Unfortunately the Bit-Locker recovery key I stored is outdated*****moved from...
  3. black screen - ctrl shift win b schows screen for 1 sec before black again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    black screen - ctrl shift win b schows screen for 1 sec before black again: black screen - ctrl shift win b schows screen for 1 sec before black againSystem:Lenovo ThinkPad X1Windows 11 Pro Insider ProgrammInstalled new Intel display driver since then the problem occured.Unfortunately the Bit-Locker recovery key I stored is outdated*****moved from...
  4. Windows logs into a black screen, ctrl shift win b, and ctrl alt del won't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows logs into a black screen, ctrl shift win b, and ctrl alt del won't work: Currently posting from a phone. Not sure why this happens but when I do ctrl shift win b, it just comes up with "the tablet driver isn't running". I have had lots of problems with the Wacom tablet driver, like errors at startup stuff like that. This is a new one though,...
  5. Windows logs into a black screen, ctrl shift win b, and ctrl alt del won't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows logs into a black screen, ctrl shift win b, and ctrl alt del won't work: Currently posting from a phone. Not sure why this happens but when I do ctrl shift win b, it just comes up with "the tablet driver isn't running". I have had lots of problems with the Wacom tablet driver, like errors at startup stuff like that. This is a new one though,...
  6. Monitor Goes Black

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor Goes Black: Hey, My current setup is an Acer Laptop with windows 10 connected to an acer monitor and an OLD Lenovo MonitorMy laptop to Acer Monitor works perfect. However, my old Lenovo monitor screen is black and immediately goes into power saving mode when connected to my laptopI...
  7. Fan Running Unnecessarily after CTRL+WiNDOWS+B+SHIFT

Fan Running Unnecessarily after CTRL+WiNDOWS+B+SHIFT: I recently used the key combination CTRL+windows+shift+B after reading that it helped solved an issue with a stubborn blank screen persisting after PC sleep mode. Since then, my computer's fan has been running almost constantly and unnecessarily at high speed. It's not a...
  8. LG monitor 32qn600-B monitor problems still goes black

LG monitor 32qn600-B monitor problems still goes black: so the new screen goes black randomly every once and a while: WIN 10 lists as a generic pnp according to LG there is no driver to update. WIN10 only lists the 2006 generic driver. The video card NVIDIA GT730 has the latest driver updated. I exchanged out the HMDI on the 2...
  9. I am getting black screen on 1 monitor and it fixes after i Ctrl+Shift+Win+B tried verifier

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I am getting black screen on 1 monitor and it fixes after i Ctrl+Shift+Win+B tried verifier: I was getting black screens on 1 monitor which i could control pc and hear sounds even change to other monitor. It fixes after i go fullscreen and back or Ctrl+Shift+Win+B. I tried verifier today and i got stuck in blue screen. I went to safe mode and disabled it. but in the...
  10. Monitor goes black

Monitor goes black: My external monitor loses connection with my laptop 3-4 times per week. First it goes to blue screen with no connection message, then it goes black. Sometimes the image returns in 1-3 minutes, often never without ctl-alt-del then signing in to my account. Is this a computer...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows ctrl shift

2. win crtl shift and b