Windows 10: Monitor issue that is driving me crazy - Ghost monitors showing up in device manager,...

Discus and support Monitor issue that is driving me crazy - Ghost monitors showing up in device manager,... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; This issue is something that has been haunting me for some time now and just recently I discovered what could be the culprit. I came across this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Mercron, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Monitor issue that is driving me crazy - Ghost monitors showing up in device manager,...

This issue is something that has been haunting me for some time now and just recently I discovered what could be the culprit.

I came across this because of a videogame called osu!. Long story short, the game renders your cursor by itself ( so no windows pointer or reskinned windows pointer), but the cursor should behave just about the same as your normal desktop cursor. The cursor, however, **did not**. It wasnt input lag or acceleration. The cursor was behaving on its own, when I moved it to the right it would flick up and down, slow down or speed up totally on its own. Really weird, and it makes the game unplayable since the whole point is aiming. After investigating, I came across this microsoft blog post : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...ell-experience/mouse-input-incorrectly-scaled

It details how windows scaling can mess with a game's mouse (and tablet) inputs. Fair enough, and it also gives a solution... but it doesnt work. It does nothing. At all. I tried changing the DPI scaling on wndows from 100%( recommended) to every value that was available, and even used a custom value, every option and every combination and it changed nothing. That is when the very own game developer told me on twitter that they were aware of that issue, and they had no solution but it was caused by multiple monitors connected. Okay, so multiple monitors, right? Just unplug them and problem solved!

... I only have and I have only had one monitor on this computer, ever (and I even recently reinstalled windows fresh). So I decided to dig on the registry edit for clues and I found that I had about 6 monitors on the reg edit configuration for no reason at all( this key, Configuration and Connectivity:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\ScaleFactors)

Checked the device manager and lo and behold, 5 "ghost" monitors there aswell. So I deleted the reg edit entries like this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...settings/b3a53cef-e54f-4410-b09e-6846fa297a3f

and also deleted the ghost monitors on device manager, then rebooted and for once, my cursor in game felt controllable. Day and night difference. Even booted up my laptop with the same issue and compared just to make sure. However, it doesnt end here, since its much better but its not done yet. I get no weird slow downs/speed ups but the cursor still flicks a lot and gets stuck for brief moments, so its still behaving differently.

**This is my problem: Did I miss anything on the reg edit or the device manager? Should have I left any of those ghost monitors? Any help at all is appreciated, since I know I am very close to the final solution.**

Thanks for reading if you have made it this far.

submitted by /u/Mercron
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Mercron, Apr 13, 2021
  2. k._.f Win User

monitor not showing up in device manager, leading to resolution issues

Hello,

Windows stopped recognizing my ViewSonic monitor and started saying the native resolution is 1024x768 instead of 1920x1080. I added 1920x1080 as a custom resolution, but this doesn't work for all programs which still use 1024x768.

I went to device manager, and the monitor does not show up. If I check hidden devices, it shows up but says

"Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."

Even though the monitor is plugged in.

I have tried disconnecting the monitor and plugging it back in, but it has not help.

Suggestions?

Thanks

k._.f, Apr 13, 2021
  3. steve108 Win User
    Ghost Devices in 20H2 Device Manager

Maybe that's the key - "Show hidden devices" - I don't recall doing that in a long time personally.

I'm on a 20H1/2004 PC now which shows 2 extra ghost drives for every real drive I have installed - seeing this for SSD, HDD, and DVD - so 6 ghost drives. Assuming I'm following this issue correctly *Smile

And I did do a couple of in-place repair upgrades to this PC after initially installing 2004 on it a few months back.

EDIT:
    Two more ghosts for my monitor too.

steve108, Apr 13, 2021
  4. SamuelLV Win User

Monitor issue that is driving me crazy - Ghost monitors showing up in device manager,...

'Generic PnP monitor' issue

Hello Angelica,

I would suggest you follow steps to update the monitor driver:

Press Windows + X keys

Choose Device manager

Click on Monitors

Right click on ‘Generic PnP monitor’ and click on update driver

Tap on Browse my computer for driver software

Tap on Let me pick from a list of available drivers

Choose ‘Generic PnP monitor’ and tap on Next

When you are done please restart the computer.

SamuelLV, Apr 13, 2021
Thema:

Monitor issue that is driving me crazy - Ghost monitors showing up in device manager,...

1. Monitor issue that is driving me crazy - Ghost monitors showing up in device manager,... - Similar Threads - Monitor issue driving

2. Monitor section not popping up in device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor section not popping up in device manager: I've been trying to fix the Generic PnP monitor problem in Windows but my problem is that I simply don't have the monitor section on the device manager. My monitor is displayed in the section of "other devices. Even after scanning for hardware changes, nothing pops up....
  3. Monitor section not popping up in device manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor section not popping up in device manager: I've been trying to fix the Generic PnP monitor problem in Windows but my problem is that I simply don't have the monitor section on the device manager. My monitor is displayed in the section of "other devices. Even after scanning for hardware changes, nothing pops up....
  4. Monitor section not popping up in device manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows showed a "ghost" monitor which is not mine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows showed a "ghost" monitor which is not mine: I installed windows then updated drivers with software normally then windows showed me that my monitor is Acer S271hl but my real monitor is Dell E2016h and it also has some extra unusable resolution.I tried reinstall graphic driver and nothing changed then monitor driver...
  6. Monitor issue that is driving me crazy - Ghost monitors showing up in

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor issue that is driving me crazy - Ghost monitors showing up in: Windows 10 pro 19042.867 This issue is something that has been haunting me for some time now and just recently I discovered what could be the culprit. I came across this because of a videogame called osu!. Long story short, the game renders your cursor by itself ( so no...
  7. ghost monitor removal

ghost monitor removal: I only have one monitor but display settings say i have two and that im using number 2, device manager reports it as generic non-pnp monitor, i can disable it or uninstall it from device settings but i still have the ghost monitor. If i uninstall it it just comes back after...
  8. Ghost monitor?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ghost monitor?: My computer thinks I have two screens plugged in when I only have one, how can I fix this? submitted by /u/Im-Real-Human [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ghf8oo/ghost_monitor/
  9. Fixing ghost monitor issue

Fixing ghost monitor issue: Hi, i have three monitors set up on my PC. Two are through the geforce card and one is via the onboard intel card. Every day now i constantly have to re-detect my monitors because it always changes to 4 monitors after i wake up the PC from sleep mode. Once i choose detect...
  10. Second monitor shows up in BIOS and Device Manager but not Windows

Second monitor shows up in BIOS and Device Manager but not Windows: Hi, So I have a dual-monitor setup hooked up to my port replicator for my Dell E7240. I have my main monitor hooked up with a DVI cable and my second monitor hooked up with a DisplayPort (from the port replicator) to HDMI (on the monitor) cable. This setup has worked fine...