Windows 10: Monitor Issues, Windows displays on Monitor 1 or Monitor 2 but will not extend or duplicate...

Discus and support Monitor Issues, Windows displays on Monitor 1 or Monitor 2 but will not extend or duplicate... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; When first turning on the computer, the motherboard screen and windows loading screen appears on both monitors, then when signing into Windows it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Chazam_, May 17, 2020.

1. Monitor Issues, Windows displays on Monitor 1 or Monitor 2 but will not extend or duplicate...

When first turning on the computer, the motherboard screen and windows loading screen appears on both monitors, then when signing into Windows it reverts to only showing on monitor 1. After signing in I simply extend the screen using Windows + P and through display settings.

My problem occurs when I switch monitor inputs from my computer to a game console. When I switch the output on a switcher I can hear the disconnect sound effect confirming its no longer connected to windows. When I switch the input back to the computer it also makes the disconnect sound effect confirming it is connected to windows.

When reconnecting the monitor after changing inputs, the options of extending the screen and duplicating the screen no longer work, however, the option of only displaying on monitor 2 works. This tells me that all of the drivers work and that the monitor can be used by windows.

Windows will only display on monitor 1 or monitor 2 but won't extend or duplicate display. All display drivers are up to date and connections are sound and work. The only noticeable thing I can see is that I can no longer change resolution or scaling on monitor 2, and in the display settings monitor 1 is shown as a full 16:9 monitor while monitor 2 is shown as a smaller 4:3 despite them being the same monitor model.

The only way to extend the display again is to restart the computer until it will let me extend the display, the problem starts to occur when I change the input away from my computer and change it back.

submitted by /u/Chazam_
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Chazam_, May 17, 2020
  2. Qumar_-_ Win User

External monitors extending issue.

I am trying to connect 6 external monitors to my laptop running on windows 10. I am using DVI-D dual-link to HDMI cable to connect the monitors to the HDMI splitter and HDMI to HDMI cable to connect the splitter to the laptop. There
    is just one problem when I am extending the screens, the external monitors seem to duplicate themselves rather than extend. So instead of 1 to 7 for all monitors combined, all my laptop only detects 1 and 2. 1 being my laptop and 2 being all the other external
    6 monitors. That means that all the external monitors showing me the same thing as in they duplicate and not extend. Any suggestion on it can be fixed so all the external monitors become the extension of my main laptop and do not duplicate?

Qumar_-_, May 17, 2020
  3. Dual monitors - extend works, duplicate does not.

I have a Windows 10 PC, with two displays, a 1080p Lenovo monitor and a Samsung UHD TV. In settings, when I set the monitor to Monitor 1 (Samsung), the display is fine. When I set the monitor to Monitor 2 (Lenovo), the display is fine. When I set displays
    to Extend, both displays are fine. But when I set displays to Duplicate, both displays are distorted. The desktop, windows, text, icons, etc are stretched, with more horizontal stretch than vertical stretch, and the system is unusable.

It is now Monday July 29; duplicate displays was working perfectly just last Thursday, July 25, 2019.

How can I get "duplicate displays" to behave?

David P. Vancouver, May 17, 2020
  4. pizza.dan Win User

Monitor Issues, Windows displays on Monitor 1 or Monitor 2 but will not extend or duplicate...

Change monitor 2 to monitor 1 and make it stay.

I did as you suggested, but the problem was not resolved. Windows detects the monitors just fine, but I need to switch monitor 2 to be numbered monitor 1. The main diplay has not effect, as once monitor 1 is turned on monitor two looses display.

pizza.dan, May 17, 2020
Thema:

Monitor Issues, Windows displays on Monitor 1 or Monitor 2 but will not extend or duplicate...

1. Monitor Issues, Windows displays on Monitor 1 or Monitor 2 but will not extend or duplicate... - Similar Threads - Monitor Issues displays

2. 2 Identical Monitors. Duplicates just fine, but when switched to extend, monitor 1 reverts...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 Identical Monitors. Duplicates just fine, but when switched to extend, monitor 1 reverts...: I think the title says it all... 2 Identical Monitors. Duplicates just fine, but when switched to extend, monitor 1 reverts to an unusable resolution config? So I cannot "keep" the changes because the screen is black with error message, so that I could go into display adapter...
  3. 2 Identical Monitors. Duplicates just fine, but when switched to extend, monitor 1 reverts...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2 Identical Monitors. Duplicates just fine, but when switched to extend, monitor 1 reverts...: I think the title says it all... 2 Identical Monitors. Duplicates just fine, but when switched to extend, monitor 1 reverts to an unusable resolution config? So I cannot "keep" the changes because the screen is black with error message, so that I could go into display adapter...
  4. Extending Monitor Display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extending Monitor Display: I am using a television as a second monitor, but when I extend the display, it gives me a "not supported" box. The main monitor however is fine, but all the windows and icons disappear, and I am left with only the taskbar on the screen as if my main monitor has become the...
  5. Extending Monitor Display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Extending Monitor Display: I am using a television as a second monitor, but when I extend the display, it gives me a "not supported" box. The main monitor however is fine, but all the windows and icons disappear, and I am left with only the taskbar on the screen as if my main monitor has become the...
  6. Second monitor -- duplicate screen 1 and 2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second monitor -- duplicate screen 1 and 2: I have a new HP Pavilion laptop. In the display settings, I cannot select monitor 1 or 2 -- it only says "1/2." My second monitor shows a duplicate of the laptop screen, but I need to be able to teach with Zoom and see slides on one screen and participants on another.Thank...
  7. Windows seeing 2 monitors as 1 monitor.

Windows seeing 2 monitors as 1 monitor.: Hi there, When I started my PC today Windows spread the screen you would normally see on 1 monitor onto 2 monitors. This caused me to have a wide screen. This looks really weird. Is there a way to fix this problem so I see 1 monitor screen on one monitor instead of 2...
  8. Setting monitor 2 as monitor 1

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting monitor 2 as monitor 1: Hello, I've recently got a two monitor setup on my Windows 10. I want to set my main monitor 144hz as monitor 1. Currently it is displayed as monitor 2. Is there a way to switch these monitors? I've set my 144hz monitor as my main display in the display settings....
  9. 2 Monitor Display - Display 1 stuck on wrong monitor

2 Monitor Display - Display 1 stuck on wrong monitor: I have a 2-monitor setup. As recently as yesterday 1/20/2020, the display settings had Display 1 on the left monitor main display and Display 2 on the right monitor. Today, Display 1 is on the right monitor regardless of how I configure the display settings. In the top...
  10. Duplicate monitor display

Duplicate monitor display: 1. Since recently being upgrade to WIN 10 1803 I am unable to show both monitor screens. What are the steps to getting both monitors to show? 2. I was also at a user's screen and tried to get the mouse cursor to go forward to one monitor to the other without the cursor...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 extended display issues