Windows 10: Monitor now showing as "not plugged in" in Sounds Settings - cannot get sound!

Discus and support Monitor now showing as "not plugged in" in Sounds Settings - cannot get sound! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; For a week or so now, I haven't been able to get sounds to play through my monitor Monitor is plugged in to the graphics card via DP to HDMI cable -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Dunkz17, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Dunkz17 Win User

Monitor now showing as "not plugged in" in Sounds Settings - cannot get sound!

For a week or so now, I haven't been able to get sounds to play through my monitor

Monitor is plugged in to the graphics card via DP to HDMI cable - been working fine for the past 2 years

Sounds can play through my headphones when I select the headphones device using the sounds icon in the taskbar, but monitor does not even show up now. Computer thinks the monitor is disconnected for sound purposes despite that it is connected (graphics are displayed fine!)

I've tried re-enabling in the Sounds settings applet but to no avail

Has a recent Windows update caused this? help!

:)

Dunkz17, Jul 20, 2019

2. dual monitors stops sound

Hi David,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• When will the sound disable, when playing through main monitor or the extended monitor?
    • Did you try enabling the sound from the sound drivers and check if it helps?
    • Since from when are you facing this issue?
    This issue causes because the monitor automatically takes the HDMI sound as the Default input. Disable and enable the speakers and check if it helps.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

• Right click on the volume control and then
      Properties
    • When you connect the HDMI it becomes the default output device, even though it has no speakers.
    • You need to change this back to "Speakers" and set as default.

Monitor now showing as "not plugged in" in Sounds Settings - cannot get sound! 277833d1379328243t-hdmi-monitor-no-speakers-no-sound-anywhere-when-connected-sound.png

Hope this helps. Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jul 20, 2019
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Good surround sound headset

I know you say you're not that guy, but stepping into the $250+ range really brings a change in build quality that might have you never having to buy another set. Otherwise, getting 6 speakers with decent sound in a headset is hard, and that's what you are asking for, and I have no suggestions, but just a bump up the list. *Stick Out Tongue Monitor now showing as "not plugged in" in Sounds Settings - cannot get sound! :p

cadaveca, Jul 20, 2019
  4. fireberd Win User

Sound Quality

One thing that sticks out from looking at your "My Computer" specs. You list "ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)" which suggests you do not have the correct sound hardware driver. Your motherboard has Realtek sound and the first step is to install the Realtek sound drivers. My ASUS also came with Sonic Studio 2 which is a sound enhancement package. Check the ASUS install disc to see if you have something similar.

May not be a speaker problem.

fireberd, Jul 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Monitor now showing as "not plugged in" in Sounds Settings - cannot get sound! - Similar Threads - Monitor showing plugged

2. Microphone now showing on Control Pancel/Sound?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microphone now showing on Control Pancel/Sound?: Microphone now showing on Control Pancel/Sound? I connected it via USB and it does the 'ding' sound effect, but isn't showing on my system (Windows 10, RODE-NT-USB Mic). Any help would be appreciated submitted by /u/thinlycuta4paper [link] [comments]...
  3. Sound settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound settings: So Recently i used audacity but when i used it i need to change some sound settings in sound control panel and it worked but when i hoped in a video call with my big brother my mic wasnt working i tried fixing my sound settings back to normal but i cant remember.So i tried to...
  4. Headphones not showing up in sound settings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headphones not showing up in sound settings: I have a set of Turtle Beach Elite Pro 2 headphones+ superamp and they will not show up in my sound settings under either the input or output options. Any suggestions?...
  5. Speakers recognized and Sound settings/volume show sound, but no sound coming out of speakers

Speakers recognized and Sound settings/volume show sound, but no sound coming out of speakers: I have an HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop - tg01-0199 DT Rfrbd PC. I have run troubleshooting and driver is present. The computer recognizes the headphones and when you right-click - test, the bar shows sound playing. But no sound comes out of the headphones. The same thing...
  6. Cannot open sound settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot open sound settings: I recently had to factory reset my computer, but ever since i reinstalled windows I can no longer open the settings from the taskbar. This is important because I have a goxlr and I no longer access the 'app volume and devices preferences', so I can't assign different apps to...
  7. Monitor Sound

Monitor Sound: My monitor cannot connect to RPC service. What to do?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monitor-sound/03791502-8b1b-463d-a098-871adfabba22
  8. Plug in charger sound?

Plug in charger sound?: I would like Windows to make a sound when I plug and unplug my power cable. Is that at all possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/plug-in-charger-sound/cf346083-dd82-400f-ba24-0797c0438368
  9. Sound settings

Sound settings: A recent update (1903 I think?) absolutely **** my sound settings. I used to be able to easily change the default audio output between my headset and speakers but with the recent update I cannot switch audio to my speakers. Please help me thank you....
  10. how to get sound sound from ps4 connected to monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to get sound sound from ps4 connected to monitor: My ps4 is connected to my new monitor via HDMI but i cannot hear sound...the only way i can hear sound is by connecting pc speaker audio jack into PS4 headphone socket in controller but sound is there but not loud enough.. is there a better way of getting a beefier sound...