Windows 10: Monitor problems

Discus and support Monitor problems in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello. Recently my pc and monitor have been acting very strangely. Let me start from the beginning and tell the "shortened" version. original... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by OscarStenvall, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Monitor problems

Hello.

Recently my pc and monitor have been acting very strangely. Let me start from the beginning and tell the "shortened" version.

original monitor: Samsung syncmaster 2493hm
    secondary monitor: hp24w (in use on another pc)
    cpu: i3 2100
    ram: 2x 2gb hyperX blu
    graphics card: nonexistent, but i have intel HD graphics

Ok let's start.

Once i opened my pc just as usual but it showed completely black screen so I took my another monitor and it opened windows fine. I tried to put the pc to safe mode, but when it restarted, it froze into the windows loading screen. I did multiple hard resets and it went to the recovery mode but the mode was just black screen with my cursor. Now i thought that it wont open by itself and i would have to get a third-party boot software and put it into my usb stick. I loaded the Norton recovery tool and booted my pc from the usb stick. It started and first thing that appeared was something like "windows is in hibernate mode. boot windows and turn that on" but I couldn't do that because windows didn't start at all! I tried it multiple times and same result over and over. Once when i left my pc to do a windows installer boot drive and repair the pc with it, the pc had gone to windows lock screen by itself. I was kinda stupid, and ran the reset pc, but with the keep files thing. it did that and let me into the windows. I tried to switch the hdmi and power cables to the another monitor, and the image appeared, but it was over the edges of display so i couldn't even see the windows button. I ran the F-secure virus scanner on it but nothing was found. (I also found out that the system didn't recognize my hdd anymore, what helped me a bit later.) I realized that the reset wasn't a full reset so i thought i should use the windows installers "repair your computer" section to reset the pc (I found out later that reset option isn't there) so i restarted the pc and booted it from the usb stick, but the windows installer showed nothing but a purple screen and cursor. I was getting mad and I just randomly plugged out the HDD's sata cable and boom, windows installer purple screen got away! I realised that was a breakthrough for me. I got into the repair your computer place, but i found no reset pc button.
    I decided to hard restart and see if it would go to the lockscreen, what it surprisingly did. Now i restarted it and every time it went to the desktop.
    I switched the cables to the original monitor, but no. The screen still was over the edges. I also found out that windows didn't recognize my original monitor but my secondary it did. And also when booting the original monitor, it got no signal so i had to use my secondary and switch the plugins. Also i figured out that the switch only worked, when the "same display" or "expand" option was on.

So my current state is:
    -windows starts normally
    -it works perfectly with my secondary monitor
    -the boot doesn't work with my original monitor
    and it needs the another monitor to boot and then change settings to "same display" or "expand" (names translated from my finnish windows) and then switch the cables
    -when in the original monitor the windows goes over the monitor edges and doesn't detect my monitor.
    (says in the display advanced settings: display 2: attached intel (R) HD Graphics)
    -changing my "display 2" settings doesnt get registered and windows says: display settings could not be saved. try to use another combination of settings. (again translation)

what i want to know: Can i get my monitor to boot normally and the windows to detect it and not go over the borders?

Thanks for all people that had power to read this all
    Oscar.

:)

OscarStenvall, Feb 2, 2019
  2. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Feb 2, 2019
  3. i have a problem to connect 2 monitors.

Hi Ron,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

• What changes did you make in the BIOS? As making the changes in the BIOS is only recommended by Microsoft if done by the manufacturer.
    • How are you connecting to the 2nd monitor?
    I suggest you to follow the steps from this article below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/how-connect-multiple-monitors

[Applies to Windows 10 as well]

Regards.

SujataMoktan, Feb 2, 2019
  4. Monitor problems

Computer problem with monitor

Hi,

There are many possible reasons this issue is happening, like problem with monitor, cables, hardware. We'd like to ask few questions below to isolate the issue:

• Have you tried using a different monitor?
    • Have you tried using a different set of cables?
    • What other troubleshooting step have you done so far?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Martin Bar, Feb 2, 2019
Thema:

Monitor problems

1. Monitor problems - Similar Threads - Monitor problems

2. bigger problem, now my display does not work, tried using an external monitor,, no change....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bigger problem, now my display does not work, tried using an external monitor,, no change....: Support tried to fix an error on my laptop, They left me hanging and nothing was fixed. Now i have a very big issue. I think the fix has messed up all my drivers. My laptop monitor is blank, external as wellI ve tried all guides provided. No change, cant even activate safe...
  3. bigger problem, now my display does not work, tried using an external monitor,, no change....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bigger problem, now my display does not work, tried using an external monitor,, no change....: Support tried to fix an error on my laptop, They left me hanging and nothing was fixed. Now i have a very big issue. I think the fix has messed up all my drivers. My laptop monitor is blank, external as wellI ve tried all guides provided. No change, cant even activate safe...
  4. bigger problem, now my display does not work, tried using an external monitor,, no change....

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How can i fix all the problems in my realibility monitor?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i fix all the problems in my realibility monitor?: Hello i have had many problems with my pc i had it for a year+ now and for the first 7 months ive had no problems firstly i had win11 when the problems started where i would play rainbow six siege and it would make the noise of a usb being connected then disconnected around 8...
  6. How can i fix all the problems in my realibility monitor?

How can i fix all the problems in my realibility monitor?: Hello i have had many problems with my pc i had it for a year+ now and for the first 7 months ive had no problems firstly i had win11 when the problems started where i would play rainbow six siege and it would make the noise of a usb being connected then disconnected around 8...
  7. How can i fix all the problems in my realibility monitor?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. My screen goes dark after 10 seconds, it’s not a monitor problem, i already checked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My screen goes dark after 10 seconds, it’s not a monitor problem, i already checked: My screen seems to go so dark, I can barely see it. It’s not a monitor problem, because it displays correctly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-screen-goes-dark-after-10-seconds-its-not-a/b280a6e6-dbca-43c7-8320-aba034e7acad
  9. My screen goes dark after 10 seconds, it’s not a monitor problem, i already checked

My screen goes dark after 10 seconds, it’s not a monitor problem, i already checked: My screen seems to go so dark, I can barely see it. It’s not a monitor problem, because it displays correctly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-screen-goes-dark-after-10-seconds-its-not-a/b280a6e6-dbca-43c7-8320-aba034e7acad
  10. Problem with monitor setting

Problem with monitor setting: I just got a 120 hz monitor and i can run it at 120fps but im having a problem that literaly it changes every day...Yesterday i could run fortnite at 120 fps, today only sixty with the 120 fps option selected and this is already going on for like a week.Everyday changing to...