Windows 10: Monitor Resolution Issue

Discus and support Monitor Resolution Issue in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Since upgrading my desktop PC to Windows 10, I've been having an issue with the monitor. Icons are large, and stretched out. So, I went in to change... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by KnightLife, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Monitor Resolution Issue

Since upgrading my desktop PC to Windows 10, I've been having an issue with the monitor. Icons are large, and stretched out. So, I went in to change the resolution, and noticed that they display reads as "Generic Non-PnP Monitor," and when I try to change it to a higher resolution I get an error message that "input signal out of range change settings to 1600 x 900 - 60Hz." Now there's no option for that, and the only 1600 x anything gets the input signal message.

So I tried running a windows update, restarting the computer, unplugging the monitor and plugging it back in but still the same issue. Went into device manager and tried automatically updating the driver, but that just comes back as up to date. In Device Manager, under monitors it just says "Generic Non-PnP Monitor," and under Display Adapters, it reads "Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor."

Any help is greatly appreciated.

:)

KnightLife, Aug 6, 2015

2. Win 10 display scaling issue

I work daily with a lot of diffrent monitor brands and designs, paired with Nvidia, AMD or Intel GPUs. I have come across an issue with Win 10 not reporting the correct resolution to the monitor. If I change the resolution via win 10 the video resolution
    will change visually but the monitor never receives the correct resolution information.

This becomed a problem when the monitor needs to change aspect ratio. Since the resolution info is not reported to the monitor, the monitor has no idea what the aspect ratio should be.

But when I use the GPU control panel to change the resolution the resolution info is successfully transmitted to the monitor.... Even the OSD information displays the correct res.

This issue does not occur on win 7 with the same system and GPU set up. Which leads me to believe it is a win 10 issue.

Has anyone seen this issue before?

Doing a search showed that several people had similar issue that were "corrected" by a new GPU.That makes sense because when you do a hardware install the GPU will use the driver to control the res and by pass the win control. I see the issue because
    I change resolutions all the time using the windows controls.

Thanks

TodGourley, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    Unpredictable, sporadic loss of resolution with external monitor with Microsoft Office applications

Let us isolate the issue by using the resolution of your laptop while connected to the monitor for us to check if the issue is with the resolution or not. You need to boot up your computer while connected to the monitor when performing the isolation step.
    After checking if the issue will persist when using the laptop's resolution while connected to monitor, let us know the result.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Argel Obm, Aug 6, 2015
  4. darkf0xx Win User

Monitor Resolution Issue

This may or may not help, do you have a graphics card? if so did you install the software for it (nvidia geforce experience, or amd catalyst)? One thing you might also try is go to device manager and uninstall the video driver then reinstall it. Another thing is make sure your previous version of your graphics software from windows 7 or 8 was uninstalled then reinstalled for WIN10.

darkf0xx, Aug 6, 2015
  5. Ok, finally managed to figure it out. Took a bit of digging, but found that the graphics card was NVIDIA. From there, I went to the NVIDIA website, ran their diagnostic tool, which told me that I had GeForce 60150SE 430 driver, and that it should be updated to GeForce 309.08 driver. Downloaded and installed that, and now everything looks exactly as it should. So, thank you for the help.

KnightLife, Aug 6, 2015
  6. darkf0xx Win User
    no problem, glad it helped.

darkf0xx, Aug 6, 2015
  7. Hi there! I am experiencing the same problem, but I have no idea about how to check which graphics card is there in my laptop. If you could please tell me how you did it, I would be grateful.

keijiTeragnes, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Monitor Resolution Issue

1. Monitor Resolution Issue - Similar Threads - Monitor Resolution Issue

2. Third monitor resolution issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Third monitor resolution issue: Hi, I have got a DELL laptop with windows 10 Pro and am able to connect TWO external monitors DELL monitors and extend fine.But when I try to extend to the third monitor by duplicating display 1 which is my laptop I get a resolution 720 x 576 max but when I switch back to...
  3. Third monitor resolution issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Third monitor resolution issue: Hi, I have got a DELL laptop with windows 10 Pro and am able to connect TWO external monitors DELL monitors and extend fine.But when I try to extend to the third monitor by duplicating display 1 which is my laptop I get a resolution 720 x 576 max but when I switch back to...
  4. Third monitor resolution issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External Monitor having resolution Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Monitor having resolution Issues: Hey there, I have a just bought a new Laptop and It has Windows 10 Preinstalled in it More details provided below. Now, I am using an External Display My old PC's Monitor which has maximum Resolution capacity - 1366 x 768 Model details given below so now if I connect my...
  6. monitor resolution issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    monitor resolution issue: I recently accidently changed my monitor's resolution to a higher one and now it only shows "Input not supported", It is an old acer monitor, I use a vga cable converter to hdmi to connect to my windows 10 dell laptop. When I plug in the hdmi connecting the monitor to the...
  7. monitor resolution issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    monitor resolution issue: I recently accidently changed my monitor's resolution to a higher one and now it only shows "Input not supported", It is an old acer monitor, I use a vga cable converter to hdmi to connect to my windows 10 dell laptop. When I plug in the hdmi connecting the monitor to the...
  8. Dual Monitor Resolution Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual Monitor Resolution Issue: I have dual monitors but my second monitor will not change resolutions; it only has one mode and that is 800 x 600. Any suggestions? I have a Windows 10. Thank you!...
  9. Second monitor resolution issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    Second monitor resolution issues: Hi, I have a problem with the resolution of my second monitor. I work with two monitors which I switch between occasionally, but I can't seem to find the right resolution for either one. The first monitor is pioneer PDP-lx5090, and the second monitor is a sony kdl-32w705b. My...
  10. Monitor Resolution Issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor Resolution Issue: I recently got a Samsung 22A300B 21.5" 1080p 60Hz as my temp 3rd monitor. When I hooked it up to my computer through my GTX1080, (even though the monitor says that the optimal resolution for it to be set at is 1080p) windows won't let me increase the resolution above...