Windows 10: monitor(s) intermittently failing to activate on cold boot up

Discus and support monitor(s) intermittently failing to activate on cold boot up in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I’ve started encountering a problem with my desktop PC running windows 10. I have 2 monitors fed by a GeForce GTX 670 on a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Toby43, May 24, 2020.

1. Toby43 Win User

monitor(s) intermittently failing to activate on cold boot up

I’ve started encountering a problem with my desktop PC running windows 10.
    I have 2 monitors fed by a GeForce GTX 670 on a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H motherboard with an Intel I 7 3770K chip.
    Recently the monitors have failed to display anything when the PC is switched on – not always – but frequently enough recently to raise the alarm that this is a problem.
    The PC emits its usual beep but no start up screen or any other sign of boot up occurs with increasing frequency.
    I’ve tried booting to ‘safe’ – no effect ; un/replugging the hdmi cables and swapping them over – no effect ; soft rebooting and completely disconnecting from the mains. A total switch off from the manins worked twice but now even that cannot guarantee a cure - the failure rate of booting to a visible desktop is getting greater.
    This is a fairly venerable machine (built 2012), but has performed as a steady workhorse for years, requiring only a thorough vacuuming some time ago to deal with filth build up on internal fans.
    I might add that when (as now) both displays are on, everything is normal, no shudders, odd noises, nothing suspicious at all.
    Before I dismantle things, has anyone a pointer as to the most likely cause of this gremlin?
    BTW – 1 further point.
    The button battery on the motherboard. If this is replaced (and I suspect it’s on its last legs), does it mean that anything has to be reset? Over the years I’ve fitted 3 extra hard drives.
    I hate going into BIOS, the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H motherboard display is not a model of clarity and a lot has been lost in translation. If I can get away with not having to navigate the BIOS screen, either in its traditional or Gigabyte’s flaky schematic form, I’d add years to my life

:)

Toby43, May 24, 2020
  2. billybob Win User

9700 Pro cold boot syndrome

I have a powercolor 9700 pro that has the cold boot syndrome (fails post on cold boot, reset machine and everthing works fine). Does anyone know if flashing to the latest vid bios will remedy that? The card has been tried in D865PERL, Soyo P4S, ASUS P4S800D-X, Soyo Dragon Ultra (Platinum), and now an ECS NForce3-A. *Mad monitor(s) intermittently failing to activate on cold boot up :mad: All mobos exhibit the same problem. On some other forums, people have claimed that changing memory timings has helped. Any suggestions?

billybob, May 24, 2020
  3. ElderJohn Win User
    BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE randomly after cold boot/sleep

For the past month I have been getting random BSOD's all with driver power state failure. They happen randomly, usually within the first 5-10 minutes of cold booting or waking my computer. Steps I have taken to attempt to fix the problem:
    1. Reinstalled GPU drivers/ tried old drivers
    2. Fresh installed Windows 1803, still happened, then fresh installed 1709
    3. Disabled Fast Boot
    None of these things fixed the issue, any help would be much appreciated at pinpointing the issue. Thanks

ElderJohn, May 24, 2020
  4. kyle2020 Win User

Cold boot issue, very frustrating!

its from a 100% cold boot. Ill try the overclock thing, and also run some memtest tonight.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I do appreciate it. That USB one seems strange but ill try it! *Toast :toast:

kyle2020, May 24, 2020
Thema:

1. monitor(s) intermittently failing to activate on cold boot up - Similar Threads - monitor intermittently failing

2. Taskbar autohide intermittent fail on 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar autohide intermittent fail on 2nd monitor: Windows 10 Enterprise latest feature update version 20H2Autohide is ON desktop mode and set to "Show taskbar on all displays". Taskbar is at the bottom of the screen. Autohide works on the main monitor monitor 1 either by moving the mouse or by hitting the Windows button. BUT...
  3. Taskbar autohide intermittent fail on 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar autohide intermittent fail on 2nd monitor: Windows 10 Enterprise latest feature update version 20H2Autohide is ON desktop mode and set to "Show taskbar on all displays". Taskbar is at the bottom of the screen. Autohide works on the main monitor monitor 1 either by moving the mouse or by hitting the Windows button. BUT...
  4. Taskbar autohide intermittent fail on 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Cold boot BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cold boot BSOD: Everyday at startup I get a BSOD. This only happens once and then never for the duration the pc is on. The BSOD errors sometimes vary but this is a analyzed dump file from a recent one:******************************************************************************** **...
  6. Cold boot BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cold boot BSOD: Everyday at startup I get a BSOD. This only happens once and then never for the duration the pc is on. The BSOD errors sometimes vary but this is a analyzed dump file from a recent one:******************************************************************************** **...
  7. monitor(s) intermittently failing to activate on cold boot up

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    monitor(s) intermittently failing to activate on cold boot up: I’ve started encountering a problem with my desktop PC running windows 10. I have 2 monitors fed by a GeForce GTX 670 on a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H motherboard with an Intel I 7 3770K chip. Recently the monitors have failed to display anything when the PC is switched on – not...
  8. USB devices will intermittently not respond after windows wakes up or when windows cold boots.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB devices will intermittently not respond after windows wakes up or when windows cold boots.: Hi all so I have been having this issue that has been happening on and off with my mouse and keyboard where when windows wakes from sleep or boots up from a powered off state the mouse or keyboard or both will power on but will not respond and I will just be stuck at the lock...
  9. Cold boot issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cold boot issues: Hello, i have this issue on one PC that I've installed windows 10 and it doesn't boot properly. It goes to the windows logo part then it hangs for a bit before shutting itself down , then i need to power it on again and it will boot after a while. It also creates massive...
  10. Windows intermittently failing to boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows intermittently failing to boot: I have an issue with a recent build whereby the system boots straight into UEFI and the SSD boot drive doesn't show up under boot options. It happens intermittently (roughly every 2 or 3 weeks) and in the beginning a simple reboot would solve it. Recently though, once...