Windows 10: Monitor shuts off instead of going to sleep in Windows 10

Discus and support Monitor shuts off instead of going to sleep in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've only had this problem since using Windows 10, and it keeps returning. After a fresh reinstall the screen sleep function works properly, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ADKSRR, Dec 11, 2018.

1. ADKSRR Win User

Monitor shuts off instead of going to sleep in Windows 10

I've only had this problem since using Windows 10, and it keeps returning. After a fresh reinstall the screen sleep function works properly, but eventually something gets borked and instead of going to sleep, it shuts off. Normally in sleep mode moving the mouse or tapping a key will waken the screen, but now the screen just goes off. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

:)

ADKSRR, Dec 11, 2018

2. Windows 10 shuts down instead of going to sleep

Hi,

I am using Dell XPS 13. All of a sudden my windows 10(64 bit) is behaving annoyingly. Whenever, there is a lack of activity or I press the power button, or I close the lid, it shuts down instead of going to sleep.

Things I tried to solve this issue

- Went over the power settings. All of them are still at "Sleep". Reset to default but still no luck

- Ran the power troubleshooter and it does not show any issue

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks,

UmerNaeemRG, Dec 12, 2018
  3. NeilDM Win User
    Laptop shuts down instead of going to sleep

I have a year-old Asus laptop and recently installed Windows 10. Now, instead of going to sleep it shuts down.

If I just leave it running, eventually it goes to sleep. If I don't leave it sleeping for too long it will wake up properly. But if I leave it sleeping for a while it will shut down. If I close the lid, instead of sleeping it shuts down. Under "what
    to do when the lid is closed" it is set to go to sleep but obviously this isn't working properly.

This is getting to be a real pain. Every time I open the lid I have to wait while it boots up.

So far, on a scale of 1 - 10 my satisfaction level with Windows 10 is about a 2!

NeilDM, Dec 12, 2018
  4. Monitor shuts off instead of going to sleep in Windows 10

Computer shuts down instead of going to sleep or hibernate

Good afternoon,

My pc shuts down instead of going to sleep. When I press the on/off button, the sleepbutton, close the lid, or click on 'sleep' in the startmenu, my computer "pretends" going to sleep: the ledlight on the case is blinking, as if the system is sleeping.

But, when I want to wake up the computer, it does not wake up, but it restarts. All applications are closed, unsaved work is vanished, et cetera...

The problem is there: 'fast boot' enabeled or not.

The problem has arrived just a couple of days ago, just after a windows upgrade

(which it does without my approval)

What I have already tried (and failed):

Who will help me?

Sincerely,

Brecht

System configuration:

Asus N551jk

Intel Core I7

Gefore GTX 850m

Windows 10

BrechtLauwers, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

Monitor shuts off instead of going to sleep in Windows 10

1. Monitor shuts off instead of going to sleep in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Monitor shuts off

2. Windows 11 shuts down instead of going to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 shuts down instead of going to sleep: I have installed Windows 11 on a brand new Dell G5 tower PC. Ever since the upgrade from Windows 10 I find that the PC shuts down unexpectedly instead of going to sleep. It doesn't do this every time the PC goes to sleep, but does so at least once or twice daily....
  3. Windows 11 shuts down instead of going to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 shuts down instead of going to sleep: I have installed Windows 11 on a brand new Dell G5 tower PC. Ever since the upgrade from Windows 10 I find that the PC shuts down unexpectedly instead of going to sleep. It doesn't do this every time the PC goes to sleep, but does so at least once or twice daily....
  4. Computer Shuts Down Instead of Going to Sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer Shuts Down Instead of Going to Sleep: I posted this same question in July, but I never found a solution, and now the old thread is locked, so here it is again: I have an ASUS Q550LF laptop running Windows 10, 64 bit. Instead of going to sleep, it shuts down. This happens whether I close the lid, let it idle for...
  5. Computer shuts down instead of going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer shuts down instead of going to sleep: About 2 weeks my computer just started shutting down when putting it to sleep. I don't know why it started doing that and i've checked the power options, but that doesn't seem to be the issue submitted by /u/VanishingBlaze [link] [comments]...
  6. PC Shutting down instead of going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC Shutting down instead of going to sleep: I have put my computer to sleep every night for years and all the sudden it will not go to sleep any more. When I'm done with my work, I go to start > (power icon) > sleep and the screen goes black. Usually at this point a couple seconds later the fans would stop and the...
  7. Computer Shuts Down Instead of Going to Sleep

Computer Shuts Down Instead of Going to Sleep: I have an ASUS Q550LF laptop running Windows 10, 64 bit. Instead of going to sleep, it shuts down. This happens whether I close the lid, let it idle for a while, or select sleep from the shutdown menu options. I've looked up the issue, and it seems to be fairly common, but...
  8. Windows 10 shuts down instead of going to sleep

Windows 10 shuts down instead of going to sleep: I am using an HP ENVY x360. A problem just started occurring about 5 days ago. Whenever, there is a lack of activity or I press the power button, or I close the lid, it shuts down instead of going to sleep. This is super frustrating, particularly when I am in the middle of...
  9. Computer shuts down instead of going on sleep, and when it turns off by itself it's...

Computer shuts down instead of going on sleep, and when it turns off by itself it's...: Does anyone know how to solve a problem I keep having on my laptop - every time I press sleep, it shuts down (meaning I lose everything I had open) and every time I leave it on for more than 10 minutes without use, it shuts down also - since I can't press the sleep button as...
  10. Computer Shutting Off Instead of Sleeping

Computer Shutting Off Instead of Sleeping: Since October (the October update, I think), my computer is shutting down instead of sleeping. Trouble shooter or other solutions I have found here not working. (Reason #465 I wish I could have control over these awful updates.) Suggestions? Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Version...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. monitor sleep shuts down

2. windows 10 shuts down instead of sleep