Windows 10: Monitor size vs. resolution

Discus and support Monitor size vs. resolution in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I just purchased a 24" QHD monitor from Dell, and added it to my ancient ~19" 1280x1024 monitor and my XPS 15's 15" 4K display. Is there any way to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TLDRomeo, Feb 3, 2019.

1. TLDRomeo Win User

Monitor size vs. resolution

Hi, I just purchased a 24" QHD monitor from Dell, and added it to my ancient ~19" 1280x1024 monitor and my XPS 15's 15" 4K display. Is there any way to specify how big the displays actually are? It's frustrating trying to navigate between the monitors because my mouse gets snagged on the corners of my displays. I've attached an image of the problem if my explanation wasn't adequate.

Monitor size vs. resolution e94f6e81-c80d-4954-b430-405336576814?upload=true.png

:)

TLDRomeo, Feb 3, 2019

2. Monitor resolution

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with screen resolution. I will try to help you in fixing the issue.

To help you suggest more steps to resolve the issue, I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

What exactly happens when you try to change the screen resolution? Do you get any error message?

The recommended resolution on windows 10 is 1920 x 1080. Change the resolution to 1920 x 1080 and check.

The reason why your display was stretched sideways is because the resolution was in-corrected.

Here are the steps to change the screen resolution:

• Right Click the Desktop and select
      Screen Resolution.
    • Click the Make text and other items larger or smaller link.
    • In the Change only the text size section click the
      drop down menu
      to select the items you want to change.
    Hope the information was helpful

Nachappa C K, Feb 3, 2019
  3. Monitor resolution

Hello Nachappa C K

Thank you for your prompt reply.Unfortunately I have not been able to

resolve the issue.

I went through the following routine:

rt click desktop>display settings>display>advanced display settings ....

this gave 4 choices only 1600x1200, 1280x1024, 1024x768 (default),

800x600. I tried them all, no error messages, desktop icons varied in size

but all were still out of proportion.

I did not try advanced sizing of text .. as it is not the size that is the

problem but the aspect ratio (if that is the correct term)

Nowhere could I see how to change the resolution to 1920x1080 as you

suggested.

I should mention that I had no problem with win 7

I would be grateful for any further assistance you could give me.

Regards

Tony

TonyDLloyd, Feb 3, 2019
  4. Monitor size vs. resolution

Monitor resolution

Hello again!

Since I sent you the last message I restarted my computer and lo and behold the problem is resolved. The screen is perfect. I am not sure what I did but whatever it was worked.

Thanks a lot for your help.

TonyDLloyd, Feb 3, 2019
Thema:

Monitor size vs. resolution

1. Monitor size vs. resolution - Similar Threads - Monitor size resolution

2. "Size" VS "Size On Disk"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Size" VS "Size On Disk": One Drive is suppose to have 1TB storage. When i check "Properties" on it, it says the following: "Size" = 40GB On my backup it says "size on disk" = 218 MB and my other backup says "size on disk" = 4 KB. But when I check my Memory Stick I get a logical answer: 8GB used, 25GB...
  3. "Size" VS "Size On Disk"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Size" VS "Size On Disk": One Drive is suppose to have 1TB storage. When i check "Properties" on it, it says the following: "Size" = 40GB On my backup it says "size on disk" = 218 MB and my other backup says "size on disk" = 4 KB. But when I check my Memory Stick I get a logical answer: 8GB used, 25GB...
  4. "Size" VS "Size On Disk"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Puzzle Size, resolution or ???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Puzzle Size, resolution or ???: I download or save some of the background pictures that Microsoft displays on the monitor when it is idle.However, many of them are too fuzzy when trying to create a jigsaw puzzle and have to choose something different.It says, I think 'it must be 640 in size'. What does that...
  6. Puzzle Size, resolution or ???

Puzzle Size, resolution or ???: I download or save some of the background pictures that Microsoft displays on the monitor when it is idle.However, many of them are too fuzzy when trying to create a jigsaw puzzle and have to choose something different.It says, I think 'it must be 640 in size'. What does that...
  7. Monitor resolutions

Monitor resolutions: Hello! So I have two external monitors both with 2550x1440 resolution capabilities. When one monitor is connected using a display port cable it displays this resolutions automatically, but as soon as the second monitor is plugged in the resolution is automatically downgraded...
  8. Monitor Scaling/dual monitors, different size, same resolution

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitor Scaling/dual monitors, different size, same resolution: So I have a dual monitor setup, my second monitor is 27in, and my main monitor is 24in, when using backgrounds like shown here, I cannot get my background to line up correctly, if I still want my mouse to move across the monitors smoothly, it seems like windows sees both...
  9. screen size - resolution

in Windows 10 Gaming
    screen size - resolution: Just installed Mahjong on my new laptop. The game area is too large and the bottom row of tiles is covered by the ad banner, or if I resize the top row is covered by the game banner...
  10. Multi-monitor set up with different sizes and resolutions?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multi-monitor set up with different sizes and resolutions?: Hi, Running W10 1709 64-bit, and a multi-monitor setup as pictured in screenshot from display manager: 2x27" 2560x1440 (Monitors "3" and "4") 1x22" 1680x1050 (Monitor "2") and built-in laptop display: 15.6" 1920x1080 (Monitor "1") My problem is that my monitor...