Windows 10: Monitor standby cycles twice before standing by for good

Discus and support Monitor standby cycles twice before standing by for good in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Specs: Desktop PC, custom build. MB = ASUS Zenith Extreme X399 CPU = AMD Threadripper 1950X GPU = AMD Rx Vega 64 32 GB RAM Monitor = Acer XR341CK... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by coch, Jan 20, 2018.

1. coch Win User

Monitor standby cycles twice before standing by for good

Specs:
    Desktop PC, custom build.
    MB = ASUS Zenith Extreme X399
    CPU = AMD Threadripper 1950X
    GPU = AMD Rx Vega 64
    32 GB RAM
    Monitor = Acer XR341CK via DisplayPort
    Windows 10 x64 build 1709.

I have monitor stand by set to 10 minutes.

The monitor stands by, then eventually, even without moving the mouse or touching the keyboard, it will wake by itself, then after a second timeout period it will standby again, this time for good.

To test this more efficiently, I set the monitor standby to 1 minute, and this happens every time (100% reproducible).
    - I clocked the issue to 4 minutes i.e. the monitor wakes 4 minutes after the monitor goes on standby when set to standby after 1 minute, meaning 5 minutes after all input stops. Schematized:

Code: Time = 0, I stop touching keyboard/mouse Time = 1 minute, monitor stands by Time = 5 minutes, monitor wakes by itself. Time = 6 minutes, monitor stands by, and stays put this time[/quote] Oddly enough, setting standby to 2 minutes keeps the same time table (only change from above is in red):
    Code: Time = 0, I stop touching keyboard/mouse Time = 2 minutes, monitor stands by Time = 5 minutes, monitor wakes by itself. Time = 6 minutes, monitor stands by, and stays put this time[/quote] Now, this mentions it is due to Firefox: https://www.thefreewindows.com/14060...diately-sleep/
    However I shutdown Firefox and it still happens.

Anyone has a clue why this would happen?
    I don't think this is an issue with my system, because even though I just finally decided to post about it now, it's been doing that for as long as I remember, from when I was still on Windows 7. I've been through Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 since then, and changed motherboard/RAM/CPU 4 times, graphics card 5 or 6 times, and monitors 3 times, and with all those hardware combinations the problem was present.

Seems to me like this is inherent to how Windows manages power? Anyone knows what Windows could be doing after 5 minutes that wakes the monitor?
    Or maybe this is an AMD-specific issue? (I only ever had AMD systems).

:)

2. HOW TO SQUEEZE MAXIMUM JUICE OUT OF YOUR E7

but still the question stands how much standby time are you getting without the monitor app

malange007, Jan 20, 2018
  3. Display turns black when making a call

It go in stand by when I make a call before I take it to my ear. The only way to go out from stand by is to press twice the stand by buton.

What can I do to fix this problem? pls help

Ciprian Catalin, Jan 20, 2018
Thema:

Monitor standby cycles twice before standing by for good

1. Monitor standby cycles twice before standing by for good - Similar Threads - Monitor standby cycles

2. Windows 11 Laptop cycles between waking the external monitor before going back to sleep...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Laptop cycles between waking the external monitor before going back to sleep...: When I use minidp to connect external Monitor LG-GP2783B, and manually make the laptop sleep, after 5 or 10 minutes, the external Monitor will power on and show a lit-up black screen before flashing an on screen display message that there is no signal and shutting down again....
  3. Windows 11 Laptop cycles between waking the external monitor before going back to sleep...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Laptop cycles between waking the external monitor before going back to sleep...: When I use minidp to connect external Monitor LG-GP2783B, and manually make the laptop sleep, after 5 or 10 minutes, the external Monitor will power on and show a lit-up black screen before flashing an on screen display message that there is no signal and shutting down again....
  4. AOC 24G2U/BK stand on other monitors

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    AOC 24G2U/BK stand on other monitors: Hi, I bought 24G2U/BK AOC monitor and mounted it on another type of stand more suitable for my setup. I'm left with AOC original monitor stand, looks great, but I have no use for it so I'm wondering, is there any way to mount other vesa compatible monitors on said stand? I...
  5. Monitor Not Going To Standby

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor Not Going To Standby: Hello,I had this issue with Windows 10 it was randomly working sometimes not. I upgraded to win 11 still the same. It's a fresh install. I contacted MSI they weren't able to help. said it was a windows issue.Now, before suggesting me basic troubleshooting steps. I have been...
  6. Monitor Not Going To Standby

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor Not Going To Standby: Hello,I had this issue with Windows 10 it was randomly working sometimes not. I upgraded to win 11 still the same. It's a fresh install. I contacted MSI they weren't able to help. said it was a windows issue.Now, before suggesting me basic troubleshooting steps. I have been...
  7. Fingerprint and PIN not working after a few standby/wakeup cycles

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Fingerprint and PIN not working after a few standby/wakeup cycles: Logging in by fingerprint or PIN stops working after the system went to standby and back a few times. I can then reboot the system to make it work again. It seems not to be a hardware issue to me. Thanks in advance for your help!...
  8. Removing old stand from monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Removing old stand from monitor: Ant ideas how to remove this redundant part of a stand attached to the bottom of the monitor. With all 4 visible screes removed it is just as tight as with them in. 105320
  9. Dual monitors cycling on and off

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dual monitors cycling on and off: I'm trying to figure out what the hell is going on with my monitors. I am running a HP 8560W laptop hooked up to a docking station that has dual video outputs. I had dual AOC monitors hooked up with DVI cables before and they worked just fine. I upgraded to dual HP 27ea...
  10. Stand By

in Windows 10 Support
    Stand By: At the present my computer goes into standby automatically. How do I change it so it doesn't go into standby so I don't have to enter my password every time? I have tried everything! 2426