Windows 10: Monitor temporarily cuts to black when TV is turned on.

Discus and support Monitor temporarily cuts to black when TV is turned on. in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi, this is getting pretty annoying. I have my monitor connected via a DVI cable (winkey+P reads it as second screen) and my tv connected via HDMI... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by wolfslice, Aug 11, 2020.

1. wolfslice Win User

Monitor temporarily cuts to black when TV is turned on.

Hi, this is getting pretty annoying. I have my monitor connected via a DVI cable (winkey+P reads it as second screen) and my tv connected via HDMI (winkey +p reads as PC Screen). My monitor (second screen) is toggled as my main display in the control panel.

When set via winkey+p to "second screen only" (that is to say, it's on my monitor only) and my girlfriend goes to turn on the tv, my monitor cuts to black for maybe 15 seconds, then resets itself still on the second screen. It doesn't actually transfer to the TV screen and stay there, but that cut to black is absolutely shafting me in certain games because she has a knack for turning on the TV when I'm fighting Awakener in Path of Exile or in an intense firefight in Halo MCC.

Is there anything I can do to ensure this never happens again? I've tried changing around the orders of things via the display control panel, but none of these changes ever seem to save (resolution changes made to the TV reset, etc).

Again I should reiterate that "Second screen" (my computer monitor) IS selected as my "main display" in the control panel (this IS persistently saved), though when I boot up my computer my monitor shows a black screen while loading as it wants to display that on my tv instead. Once it gets to windows it defaults back to my second screen (monitor). I feel like these problems are linked.

:)

wolfslice, Aug 11, 2020

2. No display on monitor when TV set as primary display

Issue solved

Removed DVI/HDMI cable from computer and monitor

Step 1: Check if the VGA monitor cable is defective.

1. Turn off computer
    2. Connect the monitor VGA cable from the monitor to the VGA port on the computer
    3. Turn on computer, VGA monitor cable is good.

Step 2: Tun off computer
    1. Connect HDMI Cable to HDMI port and TV
    2. Turn on computer and TV, there is no monitor black screen
    3. Click on the Windows logo, select the Settings icon , and then select

System. Under Display there are two squares, labeled 1 and 2

D Click on Advanced Display Settings:

Display information: Display 1- Monitor Display 2 -TV

E Right-click the Speakers icon in
      the taskbar, select Sound, click on Playback devices,

a s tv screen with my brand shows
      AMD High Definition Audio Device ready.

F. Problem solved

Cause of the problem: Defective VGA port on the Syba VGA HD15+ 3.5 Audio to HDMI converter

Rooben Kajima, Aug 11, 2020
  3. Laptop monitor is black but HDMI to TV works

So, I seem to be having the opposite problem of most. After updating my laptop to windows 10 the laptop monitor basically does not work - it's as if the graphics card does not see it. When I turn the computer on it shows me the dell logo with options to
    open the boot settings, and it starts to show the graphics for loading windows and then just goes to a black screen. Like others I thought maybe it's the issue with thinking there's 2 monitors when there really are not because it's acting like my dual monitor
    work computer at start-up, but none of the listed fixes worked. I tried to plug the computer into the TV via an HDMI cable and that does work but the laptop monitor goes from a 'light' black to an 'off' black. Of course the computer at that point only thinks
    there's one monitor which is the TV when I go into the settings. I've tried every combination of plugging in and pulling out the HDMI at different points in the reboot process but I always end up in the same place of having to plug the laptop into the TV to
    use it. It's as if the Intel graphics doesn't see the laptop monitor as an option. I also tried to update the graphics drivers but it says there are no available updates. Anyone else have this problem and a suggested solution so I can move my laptop away
    from the TV?!

Greenturtle116, Aug 11, 2020
  4. rhwright Win User

Intermittent black screen on TV

PC connected to TV via HDMI. When TV receiving streaming from PC, the TV monitor intermittently goes black for a couple of seconds and turns back on. No change at PC. Have searched Internet and found problem frequently listed but no solutions. Can anyone
    here help?

rhwright, Aug 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Monitor temporarily cuts to black when TV is turned on. - Similar Threads - Monitor temporarily cuts

2. when connecting an HDMI from the pc to the tv the pc monitor turnes off and the tv shows a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when connecting an HDMI from the pc to the tv the pc monitor turnes off and the tv shows a...: Hello could you please help me with my problem. i recently started conecting my pc to my 4k lg tv and in the display options i selected that it should show only on the tv screen which when enabled turns the computer monitor screen off but after that i saw that there is an...
  3. Second monitor keeps on temporarily going black at random

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second monitor keeps on temporarily going black at random: I am working off of a laptop and have a second monitor to extend my displays. I have been using this set up for two years now and have not had a problem until last night. It seems that my attached monitor only main monitor on laptop is not affected will go black for a few...
  4. Second monitor keeps on temporarily going black at random

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second monitor keeps on temporarily going black at random: I am working off of a laptop and have a second monitor to extend my displays. I have been using this set up for two years now and have not had a problem until last night. It seems that my attached monitor only main monitor on laptop is not affected will go black for a few...
  5. Second monitor keeps on temporarily going black at random

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. TV Monitor can barely turn on when starting PC

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    TV Monitor can barely turn on when starting PC: Windows 10 Pro Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 I have two monitors connected by display port, and a third display which is an LG 720p TV connected by HDMI, all into the NVIDIA Card. Previously, I would power up my machine, turn on...
  7. Monitor doesn't turn off when TV is plugged in?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitor doesn't turn off when TV is plugged in?: So here's the set up: WIN10 pro 64bit MSI X470 Gamingplus + AMD Ryzen 7 2700 RTX2070 MSI MAG322CQR (connected with displayport) Samsung TV (connected with HDMI) Now all works fine if I unplug the TV from GPU. But when I plug in the HDMI to connect my TV, my monitor...
  8. Monitors sometimes stay black when turned off and on

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitors sometimes stay black when turned off and on: I keep my PC on 24/7, and at night I turn my monitors off by pressing the button on the bottom of their frame. I have two monitors, which have a 59 hz and 60 hz refresh rate, and different resolutions. I have had these monitors for over a year or two, and no problem, but...
  9. Second monitor turned black

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Second monitor turned black: Found a question from 2016 - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-winpc/second-monitor-turned-black-worked-before/7c059bf0-aa91-49ea-ab13-82fb6a0cf216 have the same problem, but no solution there... Problem: One day i go away from my...
  10. Dual Monitor/TV set up turns off both displays when TV turns on

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual Monitor/TV set up turns off both displays when TV turns on: Hi guys, I have a Dell 23" monitor that i have been using on my desktop PC, i recently tried to connect my old TV with HDMI to it with HDMI to HDMI cable as a dual monitor set up or just to use as my default screen when watching movies. When I plug in my Dell monitor...