Windows 10: Monitor turns black after one second

Discus and support Monitor turns black after one second in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hey there, Not sure if this is graphics card related, but it might, so here we go... After long years of being able to successfully troubleshoot most... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by insertmesh, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Monitor turns black after one second

Hey there,

Not sure if this is graphics card related, but it might, so here we go...

After long years of being able to successfully troubleshoot most problems myself, I´ve hit a dead end with this one:

Recently my secondary monitor stopped working in a weird way:
    After turning it on, it would show the desktop for about a second and then immediately turn black.
    Turning it on and off again (yes...) made it come back and turn off after a second again. Before that happend I started to get some interference issues, with small vertical noise lines, that went away with a little jiggling on the cable, so my first guess was a broken cable

Here is my troubleshooting procedure so far:

-Switched cables from my good monitor to my bad monitor.
    -Bought new cable.
    -Updated Nvidia Driver.
    -Booted in safe mode.
    -Checked power settings.
    -After none of that worked, I got a cheap used replacement monitor and guess what...same problem.

So now I´m a bit stumped...Did I get that unlucky and the replacement has the exact same issue, which I have never encountered before?
    Or is there still some stupid hidden setting I accidentally activated?
    Or is it a cable problem? The main monitor has a DVI-D Dual Link cable, the replacement monitor uses a DVI-D Single Link cable (With which the old monitor used to work).
    If I plug in the DVI-D Single Link cable into my primary monitor, I get a display error (noisy lines).
    I also tried accessing the OSD of the monitor, but wether the DVI cable is plugged in or not, I can´t access the OSD Settings, since the display also turns black after a second.
    Which makes it seem like its more likely a hardware issue (unless I don´t understand how monitors work and it won´t show OSD controls, when there is no signal coming in).
    I´ve read something about broken Backlights, but those posts said there should be a faint image visible, when you light a strong light at the screen, which is not the case here.

I also get a short glimpse at an error message from the monitor before it turns off, saying something about "out of range", but like I said, booting in safe mode didn´t fix it and the settings are already at 60hz.

I can´t test the replacement monitor on a different computer for at least another week or so and I don´t wanna buy another one without ruling out other possible issues (software or hardware related), so any help would be appreciated.

The possible troublemakers:

Nvidia Geforce 760 GTX
    Windows 10
    LG Flatron W2346T

:)

insertmesh, Apr 18, 2019
  2. Swapna S Win User

Second monitor turned black, worked before

Hi Hendrik,

I appreciate you for trying the troubleshooting steps.

I will certainly help you with the issue you are experiencing with the display on second monitor.

This issue might be related to the Intel HD Graphics 3000.

Provide us the additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the exact error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    Please follow below mentioned steps to fix the issue:

I suggest you to download and install the latest Intel HD Graphics 3000 drivers from the manufacturer's website and check if it helps.

Refer to the below link:

Search downloads

Please get back to us, if you are still experiencing with the display on second monitor.

Thank you.

Swapna S, Apr 18, 2019
  3. Second monitor turned black

Found a question from 2016 - Second monitor turned black, worked before have
    the same problem, but no solution there...

Problem:

One day i go away from my workplace for an hour and when i came back one of the monitors was black... So i made no changes to my system. I restart my PC and while boot both monitors were working, show motherboard logo and windows start animation, but when
    loaded to login screen secon monitor turned black. So it is driver issue as i think. When i uninstalled drivers second monitor start showing me the duplicate image from first screen! But after restart it's black again...

Spec:

- ASUS PRIME H270M-PLUS

- Intel i5-7400 (Intel HD Graphics 630)

- Two Samsung S24D300 Monitors (connected with HDMI-HDMI and DVI-HDMI cabels to the montherboard)

- Windows 10 1809 (17763.316)

What I did so far:

- Uninstalled graphics and monitor drivers and let Windows reinstall

- Uninstalled graphics and monitor drivers, manualy download latest drivers and install them

- Uninstalled graphics and monitor drivers, manualy download some previous drivers and install them

- Changed from extended desktop to clone display, both using the intel driver and the windows settings.

- Booted in safe mode

Дмитрий Галин, Apr 18, 2019
  4. Monitor turns black after one second

second monitor

Hi Pauline,

Some of the advantages of having multiple screens (dual monitor) are it increases your productivity or it allows you to do multitasking. When awaking your PC after putting it to sleep, it will be directed at the sign in page. Normally,
    the second monitor will just reflect black screen and the main monitor will reflect the sign in page. After signing in, your second monitor will automatically open if it is turned on.

If the second monitor doesn’t turn on, we recommend that you run the Power troubleshooter by following these steps:

• Click the Start button, then type Control Panel and then press
      Enter.
    • Change the View by option on the top-right to Large icons.
    • Click on Troubleshooting, and click on the View all option on the left pane.
    • Run the Power troubleshooter.

If the issue persists, kindly refer to the resolution provided by
    breadbox88 in this
    thread
    and check if it will help you with the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Efraim Gar, Apr 18, 2019
Thema:

Monitor turns black after one second

1. Monitor turns black after one second - Similar Threads - Monitor turns black

2. Second monitor black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second monitor black: Since updating my drivers for my Radeon RX 590, my old dell second monitor is black.When I take out the VGA-cable and Put in back in my screen works for 5 seconds and after that it turns black.I have tried a lot of different solutions, but none worked.Does anyone have a idea...
  3. Second monitor black

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second monitor black: Since updating my drivers for my Radeon RX 590, my old dell second monitor is black.When I take out the VGA-cable and Put in back in my screen works for 5 seconds and after that it turns black.I have tried a lot of different solutions, but none worked.Does anyone have a idea...
  4. Second monitor black

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Second monitor goes black for a second and then turns back on with red moving dots...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second monitor goes black for a second and then turns back on with red moving dots...: I currently have a second monitor plugged into my laptop, but the monitor keeps going black for a few seconds or so and when it is back it has red moving dots everywhere and then it goes black again.This is what i have tried so far to fix this:Used different HDMI chordsUsed...
  6. Second monitor goes black for a second and then turns back on with red moving dots...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second monitor goes black for a second and then turns back on with red moving dots...: I currently have a second monitor plugged into my laptop, but the monitor keeps going black for a few seconds or so and when it is back it has red moving dots everywhere and then it goes black again.This is what i have tried so far to fix this:Used different HDMI chordsUsed...
  7. Wallpaper on second monitor turns black after logging in

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wallpaper on second monitor turns black after logging in: Just fresh installed windows 10 yesterday, and now anytime I log into windows, the wallpaper on my second monitor is just a black background until I open start menu. I haven't even touched any settings settings since I restored it, how could this even happen? I've reinstalled...
  8. Second monitor randomly turns black and comes back on.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Second monitor randomly turns black and comes back on.: Out of nowhere, my second monitor acts like this. I'm not sure what causes this. Online I read it has to do with windows 10 sometimes, hence my post on this sub. I have already done the following: bought a new DisplayPort cable, changed cables (1st to 2nd monitor), updated...
  9. Second monitor turned black

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Second monitor turned black: Found a question from 2016 - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-winpc/second-monitor-turned-black-worked-before/7c059bf0-aa91-49ea-ab13-82fb6a0cf216 have the same problem, but no solution there... Problem: One day i go away from my...
  10. Screen turns black after 30 seconds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Screen turns black after 30 seconds: I use a laptop in a docking station with two screens connected - it has worked well for one year. Suddenly, and as I remember, right after accepting a systems update, screen 1 turns black, looses connection to the computer approx 30 seconds after I have turned on the...