Windows 10: Monitor turns off

Discus and support Monitor turns off in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This happened sometimes in Windows 8.1 and still happens in Windows 10. I went into settings and changed when to turn off monitor to never and put this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bha19, Jul 31, 2015.

1. bha19 Win User

Monitor turns off

This happened sometimes in Windows 8.1 and still happens in Windows 10. I went into settings and changed when to turn off monitor to never and put this computer to sleep to never so why does the monitor turn off after no activity anyway?

:)

bha19, Jul 31, 2015

2. Monitor turns off then on, off then on.

Hi Opioohana,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. I understand that you are having a hard time dealing with the power issues which is causing your monitor to act funny.

This issue could be either due to some issues with the power settings or corrupted system files on the computer.

I will certainly help you with it.

Appreciate you for trying to fix the issue by yourself.

Here's what you can try to resolve the issue.

Method 1: Run the Power Troubleshooter

1. Open Control Panel.

2. Type “Troubleshooting” in the search bar and press “Enter”.

3. In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.

4. Click on “Power”.

5. Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.

6. Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Shut Down the computer, wait a couple of minutes and then use the
    Power Button to start the computer.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to restore default settings of power plan and check if it helps.

1. Open Control Panel.

2. Click on the Power Options icon.

3. Click on Change advanced power settings.

4. Select the option “Restore default settings for this plan”.

Method 3: Obtain the latest video card drivers.

The video card driver determines how the computer negotiates power saving mode with the monitor, among other things. To ensure that you video card driver is not at fault, download the latest video card driver from the manufacturer's website. You can determine
    which video card you have by opening up the Device Manager and reviewing the model name and number of the Display Adapter.

To do so: In the search bar, type in "device manager"; then click the Device Manager link when it appears. The Device Manager window should appear; look for "Display adapter" and click it. Your video card name and model number should be listed there

Do keep us posted on how it goes. We are happy to help you.

Joy Kemprai, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Monitor turns off then on, off then on.

Hi,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run Power troubleshooter and restore the power plans to default

Step 1: I suggest you to run power troubleshooter to check if there is any corruption in the power plan settings and check if it helps.

• Type troubleshooting in the search box on taskbar and click on it in results.

• Click View all and then click
      Power.

• Click Next and follow on-screen instructions.

If the issue persists,

Step 2: Reset and restore the power plans to default:

• Right-click on Start button
      and click on Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the command prompt, type powercfg –restoredefaultschemes
      and hit Enter.
    • Exit command prompt.
    Note: This would reset the power plan settings to default. Any customized power plans are would be removed.

Method 2: I suggest you to perform a
    Clean boot to
    check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

Disclaimer: Putting your system in
    Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to the section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” to return the computer to a
    Normal startup mode.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post if the issue still persists for further assistance,

Deepika Gowda, Jul 31, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

Monitor turns off

Did you do it in advanced settings too ?
    If it's a brand name computer or laptop it could be some program supplied by manufacturer that overrides it.

CountMike, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

Monitor turns off

1. Monitor turns off - Similar Threads - Monitor turns off

2. Monitor turns off & on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor turns off & on: Hello, it's more than a 2 weeks that my monitor is turn off randomly and turn on it's only happening one timeit's happening always when I'm starting to work with the PC I just surf in the internet.I got a brand new PC with brand new monitor, and everything is updated! From...
  3. Monitor turns off & on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor turns off & on: Hello, it's more than a 2 weeks that my monitor is turn off randomly and turn on it's only happening one timeit's happening always when I'm starting to work with the PC I just surf in the internet.I got a brand new PC with brand new monitor, and everything is updated! From...
  4. Monitors turning off.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Monitors turning off.: Hello! I am using 2 monitors on my RX480 8 gb GPU. But recently i got a problem, randomly, my monitors are going black and they have no response, i can still hear everything but I cannot see anything either. I tried using the shortcut to reset the graphics driver but still...
  5. turn monitor off

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    turn monitor off: How to turn monitor off imediatelly after pc boot up so it's not On for 20 minutes after pc boots up. I don't want to change power settings because for the rest of the time it should be like it is in settings it turns off after 20 minutes of inactivity. I tried nircmd and...
  6. External monitor is turning on and off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External monitor is turning on and off: Hello, today I woke up and the monitor that is connected to my laptop has started flickering on and off when I connect it with my HDMI cord. The monitor itself isn't broken because when I unplug the cord the monitor will stay on fine. This has happened before and I fixed it...
  7. Webcam Turning off when monitor turns off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Webcam Turning off when monitor turns off: Hello, I am trying to record video from my webcam while my monitor is turned off but everytime i turn off my monitor, the webcam turns off aswell. How do I fix this issue?...
  8. Monitor Not Turning Off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitor Not Turning Off: Recently whenever I lock my computer my left monitor turns off when it sleeps, but my main monitor just goes black and stays on. Is there a way to fix this? submitted by /u/Bland_Biscuit [link] [comments]...
  9. Turn off Monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turn off Monitor: How to turn off the monitor ? It's impossible with Windows settings ! [Original Title: Monitor] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/turn-off-monitor/049f875b-88bc-4203-9d59-bc561a18167f
  10. Monitor turns off randomly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor turns off randomly: My monitor turns off randomly. It comes back on after I restart the computer. Today it took 4 tries. Also, sometimes the screen randomly becomes magnified. Help?! Thank you in advance...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. monitor comes on for bitlocker but goes of with windows 10