Windows 10: Monitor will not display anything after computer turns off screen for power saving.

Discus and support Monitor will not display anything after computer turns off screen for power saving. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My screen is set to the default time to turn off to save power. Just built a new computer. I used the same graphics card, monitor, mouse, and keyboard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by fflip8, Dec 13, 2018.

1. fflip8 Win User

Monitor will not display anything after computer turns off screen for power saving.

My screen is set to the default time to turn off to save power. Just built a new computer. I used the same graphics card, monitor, mouse, and keyboard as my old computer. Unfortunately, it seems something is wrong with the new computer that causes it not to turn back on. The fans blow, the lights on the keyboard are on, and when I move my mouse, or press a key on my keyboard, I hear and see the screen turn on, and the backlight is lit, but it stays black, flashes "Display Port" at the top left a couple times, then goes back to sleep. It receives a signal, but with nothing on the screen... The only way to get my computer screen to display anything again is to restart my computer by holding down the power button.

This is not an issue with my graphics card or monitor. Tried my old computer again and it has no such issue.

Anyone know how to fix this?

(Steps tried)
    Updated BIOS.
    Updated Windows.
    Reinstalled Windows.

Reinstalled Graphics drivers.
    Tried a different graphics card.
    Tried different monitor.

:)

fflip8, Dec 13, 2018
  2. Manthas Win User

Display will not turn off, even with power saving option enabled

Please stop. Or, at the very least, read the entire thread before responding. What you are suggesting...

• ... will not work. The same issue preventing the power options from kicking in impact any screen saver settings as well. Windows is incorrectly reading input from USB game controllers connected to the system, and registering these as activity in a way
      that Windows 7/8/8.1 did not. And...
    • ... does not achieve the same results. Powering off the monitor is not simply about preventing people from seeing what you were working on. This is a power saving utility. With a screen saver running, you are still wasting the same amount of power that
      you would without the screen saver running.
    So, not only is your "suggestion", such as it is, unhelpful, but it is also completely inaccurate.

Manthas, Dec 13, 2018
  3. turning off the display option for power button

Hi Caro,

The function to turn off the display on your device only affects the monitor but the rest of the programs still run in the background. On the other hand, sleep mode turns off any unused programs to save energy. To change the power option on your device,
    follow the steps below:

• Type Control Panel in the search box and press Enter.
    • Select Hardware and Sound.
    • Select Power Options.
    • Select Choose what the power buttons do.
    • Under Power and sleep button settings, click the drop-down arrow for
      When I press the power button: option and select Turn off the display.
    • Click Save changes.

Once you're done, check if the music still plays after clicking the power button.

Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Darwin Dim, Dec 13, 2018
  4. Swapna S Win User

Monitor will not display anything after computer turns off screen for power saving.

Power up Display is OFF

Hi Linda,

I will certainly help you with the issue you are experiencing with Power up display of Windows 10.

Before proceeding further, I suggest you to provide the detailed description of the issue, so that we will be able to assist you in better way.

• What is make and model of your computer?

• Is your computer up to date?
    Meanwhile, I suggest you to try the below method and check if it helps.

Please follow below mentioned methods to fix the issue:

Method 1: Create a new power plan.

I suggest you to create a new power plan and check if there is any issues with the current power plan which you are using at present in your system. Follow the below steps sequentially.

• Press Windows key + R, type
      powercfg.cpl in the box and press Enter.

• Select current power pan and click on
      Choose when to turn off the display on the left pane.

• Select your favorite time to display the screen and click on
      Save changes.

• If that does not help, Click on the
      Advanced power plan settings and click on Display on the Window pop up. Expand
      Turn off display after and set as Never.
    Method 2: Update Display adapter driver.

• Press Windows key + X and click on “Device Manager”.

• Expand “Display Adaptor”.

• Right click on the driver device and select
      update.

• Once update is done, restart the computer.
    Also you can download the latest updated display driver from the computer manufacturer website.

Please get back to us, if you are still facing issue
    with Power up display of Windows 10.

Thank you.

Swapna S, Dec 13, 2018
Thema:

1. Monitor will not display anything after computer turns off screen for power saving. - Similar Threads - Monitor display anything

2. Monitor turns off and on with no display after upgrade.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor turns off and on with no display after upgrade.: Computer case - Focus G MiniMonitor - Optix G24C4 CPU - Intel Core i7-12700KFCPU Fan - Artic Alpine 17Storage- Silicon Power Ace A55 M.2Power Supply - Antec Gold 500wGraphics Card - AMD Radeon RX 6600 XTMotherboard - MSI MAG B660M MortarMemory Modules - XPG DDR4 8gb x 2I...
  3. Monitor turns off and on with no display after upgrade.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor turns off and on with no display after upgrade.: Computer case - Focus G MiniMonitor - Optix G24C4 CPU - Intel Core i7-12700KFCPU Fan - Artic Alpine 17Storage- Silicon Power Ace A55 M.2Power Supply - Antec Gold 500wGraphics Card - AMD Radeon RX 6600 XTMotherboard - MSI MAG B660M MortarMemory Modules - XPG DDR4 8gb x 2I...
  4. Monitor turns off and on with no display after upgrade.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Power save mode turns off monitors but they immediately come back on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power save mode turns off monitors but they immediately come back on: Power save mode turns off my monitors but they immediately turn back on. This problem used to be caused by my razer tartarus being recognized as a video game controller but now the problem happens with it unplugged. The computer waking itself from power save mode prevents it...
  6. My computer monitor immediately turns back on after turning off with 'Turn off the display'...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My computer monitor immediately turns back on after turning off with 'Turn off the display'...: For clarification, I have my display to turn off after ten minutes of inactivity and usually, the monitor would go off and stay off until the mouse was moved or a key pressed. Recently I've noticed that after the ten minutes elapses, the monitor goes to turn off and then...
  7. Monitor powers on after computer turns it off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitor powers on after computer turns it off: Trying to find how to keep monitor off after I lock the PC. What I do: 1. Monitor powers off after 1 minute when PC is locked 2. In few seconds computer plays sound like it detects new hardware, monitors wakes up and shows "No Cable Connected". 3. Then monitor turns off....
  8. Windows change screens after computer turns off monitor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows change screens after computer turns off monitor: Hi, I have a Dell Workstation connected to an external monitor, and every time the computer idles and turns off the monitors, all my windows are replaced in the primary screen and resized to a lower resolution. This behavior started right after a windows 10 version 1903...
  9. Display turns off at timer for power save, but then turns back on

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display turns off at timer for power save, but then turns back on: Hi I have set power saving for display to go to sleep after 3 minutes of inactivity when plugged in. And after 3 minutes, display powers off. But then shortly after that it turns back on. And then later off again. I have newer timed this intervals for turning on and second...
  10. Monitor/display will not turn off

in Windows 10 Support
    Monitor/display will not turn off: Hello everyone. Using the same settings and programs as in my 8.1 installation. Nothing funny, or game-related running in the background (also tried disabling everything possible). The problem is that the monitor will not turn off, either from the Power/Display power-off...