Windows 10: Monitor will not sleep on shutdown

Discus and support Monitor will not sleep on shutdown in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I just changed from DVI to HDMI and now when I shutdown my computer my monitor will not enter sleep mode, and will display 'Cable Not Connected'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Giaccovitch, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Monitor will not sleep on shutdown

Hi,
    I just changed from DVI to HDMI and now when I shutdown my computer my monitor will not enter sleep mode, and will display 'Cable Not Connected' as shown in the image attached. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    Monitor will not sleep on shutdown [​IMG]

:)

Giaccovitch, Jan 8, 2016

2. after an update from Windows 10 my computer does not shutdown automatically anymore

It used to go to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity , that is what I set it up for in power settings and after an update this summer it won't sleep - shutdown and does not respond to any setting I have tried in the power management settings. So now I
    have to manually shutdown the system or it stays on. Monitor and box.

JimO'Neill_968, Jan 8, 2016
  3. JeeperDon Win User
    Windows 10 cannot start desktop after waking from "turn display off after x minutes" and logging in

Apparently Beatrice is a no-show, however I have almost the same problem. Win 10 with 1607 and up to date updates. Power options set to leave desktop on, not sleep, but monitor does sleep after 10 mins. Monitor is on DisplayPort with an AMD 480 video
    card. Occasionally, once a day at least, mouse and kbd won't wake monitor.

I have the PC power button set to wake the monitor when monitor is off, and shutdown the PC when monitor is on. I walk up the the monitor-off PC, try mouse or kbd and monitor does not respond. I touch power button and monitor does not respond. If I assume
    that Windows saw that first power button press and now thinks all is well (though I still have no monitor, thinking it's a video only issue), a 2nd press to power off does not work either to do a shutdown. I can only assume that the sleep/problem is in Windows,
    not just the monitor. The only fix is a forced power off.

JeeperDon, Jan 8, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Monitor will not sleep on shutdown

I think this might be related to the way the Display Power Management Signaling (DPMS) is handled by the DVI and HDMI ports. It may be that your monitor does not support DPMS for both DVI and HDMI. Check the monitor specification and see if there are any menu settings that you can change for how the monitor handles DPMS. Which monitor do you have?

philc43, Jan 8, 2016
  5. I am using an Acer H243H

Giaccovitch, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Monitor will not sleep on shutdown

1. Monitor will not sleep on shutdown - Similar Threads - Monitor sleep shutdown

2. Sleep vs shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep vs shutdown: I just bought a new hard drive that is running Windows 11 Professional. Is it better to shut down the computer at the end of the day use it occasionally throughout the day, or is it better to have it go into sleep mode?Thanks,Carol...
  3. Sleep vs shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep vs shutdown: I just bought a new hard drive that is running Windows 11 Professional. Is it better to shut down the computer at the end of the day use it occasionally throughout the day, or is it better to have it go into sleep mode?Thanks,Carol...
  4. Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?: I'm using AMD laptop. Which is best to use? Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep? I heard Macbook are recommended to use Sleep, Does it same to Windows laptop? Which three consume more and least power?...
  5. Sleep changes to shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep changes to shutdown: When i put my laptop on sleep and when i try to wake it up after apprximately 30 mins .i saw that the laptop has shut down when it was on sleep...plz fiz it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-changes-to-shutdown/52944a22-93e2-41e6-a143-6c4c01b9ee08
  6. Shutdown and Sleep Problem

Shutdown and Sleep Problem: I have Windows 10 in my HP Pavilion 15 Laptop. I am not able to shutdown my laptop even not able to put my laptop on sleep mode. Whenever, I shutdown my laptop its screen became blank and hard disk stop running while power button & Power led still show light. In that...
  7. Sleep/shutdown problems

Sleep/shutdown problems: I have been suffering from a wake from sleep/on from shutdown problem for a while now. On all current updated windows 10 20.04, chipset drivers for mobo mobo and processor, current radeon drivers for gpu. All current optional windows drivers have been tried as well. My rig:...
  8. Sleep and Shutdown

Sleep and Shutdown: This problem is really ridiculous. There are 3 pc's in the house and the main oneMINE has the problem.I have tried everything in all the previous folks that have the same problem to no sleep or shutdown. I have been just turning off monitors so they aren't damaged,if that...
  9. Shutdown/Sleep Issue.

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown/Sleep Issue.: Hi all, wondering if anyone can offer any thoughts or advice. i'm running W10 from a W7 upgrade, and it's been pretty good so far. last night though i had an issue that occurred once before a month or so back. basically, i went to shut down, and instead of the usual blue...
  10. Sleep instead of Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep instead of Shutdown: I have a desktop computer running Windows 10. It has been working with no problems. Recently it stopped shutting down. When shutdown is selected, it appears to shutdown, the monitor reports the video signal is lost and the lights go off on the PC. However it you touch...