Windows 10: Monitor won't display after latest W10 update install

Discus and support Monitor won't display after latest W10 update install in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi, new to the forum and I thank any in advance for entertaining this noob's dilemma. I purchased a HP desktop a couple of years ago with W8, upgraded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by SZonian, Oct 10, 2016.

1. SZonian Win User

Monitor won't display after latest W10 update install

Hi, new to the forum and I thank any in advance for entertaining this noob's dilemma. I purchased a HP desktop a couple of years ago with W8, upgraded to 8.1 and subsequently to 10. The computer has had no previous issues/problems, until the latest round of updates. I've searched this forum for similar problems, but what I've found don't quite match mine. I don't get a mouse cursor, no images or text of anykind, nothing...just black, and the monitor doesn't wake up.

Last week, what I suspect is the most recent update, prevented my monitor from displaying. I restart the monitor and get "No Signal" and it goes right to power save/sleep mode. I performed a number of "hard" shutdowns and restarts and I finally got my monitor to display. I went back to my restore point and didn't have any problems for the past week, until last night. I tried to prevent the update, but was unable to, Windows forced the update and now I cannot get anything on the monitor. I tried a couple of "hard" restarts/reboots like last week, tried the Ctrl key and password, CAD, Esc all to no avail. F8 key had no discernible effect, still no display.

Any help is appreciated.

:)

SZonian, Oct 10, 2016

2. Monitor won't stay in standby in windows 10

Hello!

I'm having a weird issue with my Acer G237HLABI monitor on windows 10.

After the display turns off (after 15 minutes of inactivity), the monitor searches for input, displays a message for a minute or so, and goes to standby. This is normal behavior.

However, ever since I installed windows 10, the monitor randomly starts this process again. It won't show the desktop, it's not like my mouse sensor picks up some movement.

It's like some signal is sent to the monitor.

This issue appears on either HDMI or DVI input.

When the pc is powered off, or the cable is unplugged, there is no such issue.

Haven't had this issue on any other version of Windows or other OS like Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

All the latest drivers and updates are installed.

Levente Besenyei, Oct 10, 2016
  3. Dual monitor Detection Issues

Thank you for the quick response.

If the issue continues even after updating to the latest version, we advise downloading and installing the display adapter driver from the device manufacturer's support page. This is to ensure that the display adapter driver is compatible with your Windows
    10 device. Make sure that the secondary monitors are already connected when you installed the display adapter. After connecting the second monitor, press the
    Windows key + P to configure the projection of the displays between the two monitors.

We're looking forward to your response.

Devlin Sco, Oct 10, 2016
  4. batlhilz Win User

did you try simple thing as unplugging the cable ? it might have some "short circuit" stuff going on in the 5v line and not to detect the display cause of that.

batlhilz, Oct 11, 2016
  5. SZonian Win User
    Hi batlhilz,
    Thank you for the reply.

I have, I've also switched out monitors (DVI & VGA) and also attempted a boot with both plugged in. I did a CMOS reset by pulling the battery out for about 20 minutes. I've noticed that it appears my keyboard and mouse aren't powering up either. No power indications from them. I unplugged everything but the monitor and tried a restart, and restarted with a combination of items plugged in.

From what I can gather by reading on line, it appears w10 has bricked my drivers. However, I can't do a thing about it because I can't see anything to do anything.*Mad

I'm reading up on how to do a clean install and booting an HP Pavilion desktop from USB...keeping my fingers crossed.

SZonian, Oct 15, 2016
  6. bobkn Win User
    If you have a bootable Win 10 installation device, you can boot from it and rather than installing Windows, you can go into a repair mode and do a system restore (if you have a restore point).

That would save you from having to do a clean install.

Good luck.

bobkn, Oct 15, 2016
  7. SZonian Win User
    Hi bobkn,

Thanks, but I'm afraid I don't have any such devices...the W10 install was pretty recent and like many amateur computer users, I didn't think to create a disc or other medium to help get me out of trouble...didn't think I'd get put into this deep of a mess by MS to be honest.

Regards,
    SZ

SZonian, Oct 16, 2016
  8. SZonian Win User

UPDATE on what I've attempted and found out so far...
    No input signal to monitor, no mouse power, no keyboard power.
    Attempted a CMOS reset by pulling the battery on motherboard ~20 minutes
    Attempted booting in current "safe mode" multiple times
    Disconnected power from HD to check for hardware issue
    Switched monitors and tried both DVI and VGA ports
    Switched USB ports for keyboard and mouse

SZonian, Oct 16, 2016
  9. M4v3r1ck Win User
    This is a MS issue! After I installed the AU 1607 my boot time went from 15 secs to 165 secs. When booting I see the Win logo and the happy dots, then my monitor goes black and gives the message "no input signal". I also hard-rebooted many times, but then I got the advice to WAIT! So, after waiting 2:45 min the login screen appeared. Many users are having this issue.

When the nvidia drivers are not installed, using the Windows drivers, my boot is 15 secs.

MS flawed with the latest updates! Nvidia drivers are broken in this version.

ADVISE!: WAIT A FEW MINUTES and then look if uninstalling your video drivers will change anything!

Cheers

M4v3r1ck, Oct 19, 2016
  10. bobkn Win User
    Which nVidia drivers were installed?

I generally don't use the ones supplied by Windows Update.

bobkn, Oct 19, 2016
  11. SZonian Win User
    Hi M4v3r1ck,

I have left the machine on for over 2 days and got nothing, it won't go to sleep, still "No input signal" to monitor, no mouse, no keyboard. I have essentially given up on it.

But I am going to try one last thing...going to take the machine to a computer shop and at least have the motherboard checked by someone with the proper tools/equipment. If they can't find anything, then MS is most certainly responsible for crashing a <2 year old computer with their crap software and even worse update processes. Bundles? WTF?

Again, I appreciate the input/replies.

Regards,
    SZ

SZonian, Oct 20, 2016
  12. M4v3r1ck Win User
    Have you guys tried to uninstall your video drivers and vidio card software, then let MS install its own drivers?

I used the DDU tool, in my experience the best tool getting rid of drivers, software and possible leftovers. Then tried re-installing the NVIDIA drivers & software using the "clean install" method! Good luck.

Cheers

M4v3r1ck, Oct 20, 2016
  13. SZonian Win User

I would if I could see anything on my monitor...I get no power or signal to monitor, mouse or keyboard. I have reached out on the HP forums for information on W10 clean install, but it appears I need to be able to SEE what I'm doing in order to accomplish that. Since I don't have any signal to monitor, I'm hosed.

SZonian, Oct 20, 2016
  14. M4v3r1ck Win User
    Reading this, I'm leaning towards a bricked MB. I may assume you have tried different video cables/ports and or checked them for not being faulty?

Wow, feel your frustrattion... This behaviour of your HP is NOT GOOD!

Cheers

M4v3r1ck, Oct 20, 2016
  15. SZonian Win User
    Thanks mav,

Yes, I have just about exhausted all the options that an amateur might be able to.

It's funny that apparently my MB bricked after another or the same update, but I was able to recover it and after getting back to a restore point, had no further problems, until.... On a Sunday night, when MS TOOK control of my computer again to push another or the same update, I wake up the next morning to these problems.

A mere coincidence? I don't think so.

Regards,
    SZ

SZonian, Oct 20, 2016
Thema:

1. Monitor won't display after latest W10 update install - Similar Threads - Monitor won't display

2. No laptop screen won't display on monitor after driver update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No laptop screen won't display on monitor after driver update: I was performing a clean install of the new Nvidia driver for my laptop and the screen just went black I had broke the laptop screen so I can't use that I took the whole screen and hinge off a while ago so it's just the keyboard and motherboard. I have tried everything. It...
  3. No laptop screen won't display on monitor after driver update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No laptop screen won't display on monitor after driver update: I was performing a clean install of the new Nvidia driver for my laptop and the screen just went black I had broke the laptop screen so I can't use that I took the whole screen and hinge off a while ago so it's just the keyboard and motherboard. I have tried everything. It...
  4. No laptop screen won't display on monitor after driver update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. After latest w10 update casting to windows display adapter often fails

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After latest w10 update casting to windows display adapter often fails: I have a tv that can be cast to, with a windows display adapter plugged in the back (more responsive mouse). This used to work just fine but now I typically need to switch between them a few times to get it working. After some tries I will see the cursor, but nothing else,...
  6. Computer won't detect monitor after latest Windows 10 update

Computer won't detect monitor after latest Windows 10 update: Windows applied a new update this morning and since then one of my monitors isn't working. If I have it plugged in by itself it stays active (the light stays green) and the loading screen appears for a second, but then the screen turns black even though Windows is obviously...
  7. Blurry monitor after W10 update

Blurry monitor after W10 update: Since the last (mandatory) W10 update, my ACER screen has gone wonky. Will it help to reload the driver? And if so, how do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blurry-monitor-after-w10-update/efb5ff84-81e7-4d40-b583-7e3ada5975a8
  8. Latest Update Won't Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latest Update Won't Install: Whatever update it is - the one from June or July - "couldn't finish installing updates." This has been going on almost every day for too long. Microsoft support hasn't given me a solution to this issue. I've run the troubleshooter several times. Where is the manual...
  9. W10 Won't Restart After Update

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Won't Restart After Update: My Gateway desktop running W10 updated a few days ago and I believe, restarted on its own. We used it without problem, for several days. This afternoon, I saw I had notifications and one said the computer needed to be restarted. Not having anything pressing at the moment, I...
  10. slow boot after latest W10 updates

in Windows 10 Support
    slow boot after latest W10 updates: This morning after windows installed these updates my startup time increased significantly. I've had fast startup enabled. It stays on the welcome screen for at least 10 seconds 15598