Windows 10: Monitors are blank after wakeup

Discus and support Monitors are blank after wakeup in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When I wake up the system from sleep, the monitors are blank. The keyboard does not show activity - its LED indicators, such as Caps Lock or Num Lock,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Dan Vasilov, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Monitors are blank after wakeup

When I wake up the system from sleep, the monitors are blank.

The keyboard does not show activity - its LED indicators, such as Caps Lock or Num Lock, do not light up when pressing the respective keys.

If I soft reset the system, the same thing happens. I have to forcefully turn it off, by keeping the Power button pressed for a few seconds, and then turn it on again.

How can I troubleshoot this issue?

:)

Dan Vasilov, Feb 15, 2021
  2. Pavan_N Win User

External monitor blanking often

Hi,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of your computer and external monitor?
    • Have you installed all pending Windows and driver updates?
    • Do you get any error message?

I suggest you to install all pending Windows updates in your PC and also update Display drivers. Follow the steps below.

Step 1: I would suggest you to check and install any latest Windows Updates available.

• Go to Start and then Settings.
    • Click on Update and Recovery.
    • Check for updates under
      Windows Updates.
    • Restart the system and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 2: Please refer to the following Wiki article created by
    Andre Da Costa on How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10.

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Do let us know if you still get random black screen in the external monitor. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Feb 15, 2021
  3. External monitor blanking often

Hi,

Thanks for the update and response.

I suggest you to reinstall the monitor drivers form the manufacturer website and check if it helps. Follow the below steps for the same.

• Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.
    • Click on “Device Manager” from that list.
    • Search for the Monitor driver from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that
      and then remove the corrupted drivers from the computer.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and then restart the computer if prompted.
    Refer the below link for the same.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=VCFD2

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Feb 15, 2021
  4. Juntao Win User

Monitors are blank after wakeup

monitor goes blank

hey, i have a samsung 22"ws and an 850xt. 1 gig of ram and an old xp3200. Every time I watch a movie in powerdvd or media player i can get some of the way through it and then the monitor goes blank and it acts like the cable is not even hooked up. After that I have to reset. Atitool temps are fine throughout on vid card and mobo temps are good as well. I was just wondering if anyone may have a suggestion at to what it may be. Thanks.

Juntao, Feb 15, 2021
Thema:

Monitors are blank after wakeup

1. Monitors are blank after wakeup - Similar Threads - Monitors are blank

2. Icons on monitor 2 seem to sleep for about 5s after I wakeup the monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons on monitor 2 seem to sleep for about 5s after I wakeup the monitors: I don't have the PC going to sleep at all, but the displays do turn off. Often when I hit spacebar or something to bring the system up, and after fingerprint login, I cannot click on any of the icons on monitor 2 for about 5 seconds, then they will work as expected. On...
  3. Icons on monitor 2 seem to sleep for about 5s after I wakeup the monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons on monitor 2 seem to sleep for about 5s after I wakeup the monitors: I don't have the PC going to sleep at all, but the displays do turn off. Often when I hit spacebar or something to bring the system up, and after fingerprint login, I cannot click on any of the icons on monitor 2 for about 5 seconds, then they will work as expected. On...
  4. Laptop monitor not working after wakeup from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop monitor not working after wakeup from sleep: Hi, I have an Asus g14 with the latest windows 10 64. my laptop monitor won't work sometimes 3 times a week after sleep. Also if I keep the lid open for few minutes when this error happens my laptop starts to getting heat up. I updated all the graphic drivers but still the...
  5. BSOD - unexpected_store_exception after sleep wakeup or hybernate wakeup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - unexpected_store_exception after sleep wakeup or hybernate wakeup: I build new PC, and since beginning I'm getting randomly BSOD, when I wake up PC from sleep or hybernation. I run the chkdsk and also memtest, they both passed. Thx for help. The BSOD says: unexpected_store_exception the minidump is debugged below. Microsoft R Windows...
  6. Reliability Monitor is blank

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Reliability Monitor is blank: I check Security and Maintenance\Reliability Monitor every so often but recently it has completely stopped showing reports/events. It used to show minor app crashes and events like Windows Defender updates but now shows nothing. I cleared "reported problems" hoping it would...
  7. UI moved to one monitor after wakeup from sleep, with a mutli-monitor setup.

in Windows 10 Customization
    UI moved to one monitor after wakeup from sleep, with a mutli-monitor setup.: Hey all, I recently started having issues with programs being moved on wakeup to one monitor, regardless of where I had them prior to sleep. Including things such as my LOCKED taskbar, they would just... move across. I searched online for any help regarding this, or...
  8. Black screen after wakeup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black screen after wakeup: When I wake up the computer, the screen shows the log in screen for a second and then it turns black. I turn the screen off and then back on, and I the screen turns on for an instant and then it goes black again. I have to do this four times before the screen stays on. I...
  9. Blank Screen and No Monitor Signal After a Restart

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Blank Screen and No Monitor Signal After a Restart: I7 3770K GTX 950 Windows 10 64 So everything was fine before Windows 10 AU updates. The problem is that if I restart the computer it will I get a blank screen and my monitor(s) goes to sleep and loses signal and doesn't detect the video card so I don't see POST and just...
  10. Monitor black/blank after 1709 update

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor black/blank after 1709 update: I have a dual monitor setup that was previously working prior to updating to 1709. My main monitor is an ASUS VG248QE using display port. This monitor is working fine. My secondary monitor is an old NEC LCD 1920 NX monitor using DVI cable. Both are plugged into my GPU NVidia...