Windows 10: Monitors freeze and go black whenever I start an application

Discus and support Monitors freeze and go black whenever I start an application in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have a dual monitor setup on my computer desk and a few days ago my computer started acting strange. Whenever I go to start something like Discord or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by TCT 2021, Jun 23, 2024.

1. TCT 2021 Win User

Monitors freeze and go black whenever I start an application

I have a dual monitor setup on my computer desk and a few days ago my computer started acting strange. Whenever I go to start something like Discord or Minecraft, or even when I move a Firefox tab from one screen to the other, my computer throws an absolute freaking fit: the screen and mouse cursor completely freeze up then my monitors go black for a few seconds. Sometimes this happens up to 3 times in a row, and sometimes videos I have open in youtube tabs turn green for some bizarre reason.I've even had some programs just straight up shut themselves down when this happens; I'll be typing a r

:)

TCT 2021, Jun 23, 2024
  2. uglytoad Win User

Monitor freezes and then turns black

This only happens when I play video games.

When I play games like League of Legends and Raft, every now and then my monitor will freeze and then turn black, there is a period between the freezing and black screen where the monitor appears to be fully turned off and all sound is cut and then the monitor turns on again leaving me with a black screen (note that I can still hear everything but I cant do or see anything). This 'off' period lasts for around a few seconds.

I've tried many things that havent worked such as a clean reboot, disable automatic restart on system failure, and resetting virtual memory following this thread --> Redirecting

Some help would be definitely appreciated.

uglytoad, Jun 23, 2024
  3. vinsterX Win User
    Random Crash/Freeze on Build 10130

Hello everyone.

I have been running the Windows 10 preview for the last few months and other than a driver issue here or there, did not experience any real problems. However, with the last update to build 10130, I have been experiencing a random crash/freeze that manifests itself in one of two ways:

1. If I step away from the computer and come back before the monitor is set to go to sleep, I will come back to a frozen cursor, unable to do anything.
    2. If I step away from the computer and come back after the monitor has gone to sleep, I will come back to a black screen, unable to do anything.
    In both cases, I have to hold the power button in to shut down the computer for a restart.

Any direction or help would be greatly appreciated.

vinsterX, Jun 23, 2024
  4. Monitors freeze and go black whenever I start an application

2nd and 3rd monitors freezing

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand how annoying it can be when the monitors freezes at the middle of some work. Thanks for the information provided by you on the post.
    To understand the issue better, we need some information.

• Did you observe any changes to the system recently, such as Updates to driver or Windows?
    • What is the make and model of the PC?
    • What is the make and model of the all the three monitors?
    • How the other 2 monitors connected to the PC?

However, you can try the steps below and check if it works for you.

Device Drivers settings.

1. Press Windows + X key from the keyboard and select
      Device Manager.
    2. Expand Display device. Right click on the device listed and select
      Update drivers
    3. You will receive a prompt
      Search automatically for Updated driver
    4. Restart the PC and then check if the Monitor 2 & 3 freezes after sleep.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jun 23, 2024
Thema:

Monitors freeze and go black whenever I start an application

1. Monitors freeze and go black whenever I start an application - Similar Threads - Monitors freeze black

2. Monitors freeze and go black whenever I start an application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitors freeze and go black whenever I start an application: I have a dual monitor setup on my computer desk and a few days ago my computer started acting strange. Whenever I go to start something like Discord or Minecraft, or even when I move a Firefox tab from one screen to the other, my computer throws an absolute freaking fit: the...
  3. Whenever I plug in my second monitor my first monitor and second monitor go black. This was...

Whenever I plug in my second monitor my first monitor and second monitor go black. This was...: My main screen is an Benq and my second screen is a Asus. They are both connected with display ports, I have tried switching the cables and updating all my drivers. Could this be a broken graphics card?...
  4. Whenever I plug in my second monitor my first monitor and second monitor go black. This was...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Whenever I plug in my second monitor my first monitor and second monitor go black. This was...: My main screen is an Benq and my second screen is a Asus. They are both connected with display ports, I have tried switching the cables and updating all my drivers. Could this be a broken graphics card?...
  5. Why does my monitor go black at start up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my monitor go black at start up?: When i turn on my pc, it starts but the screen goes black, why does the screen go black...the screen is fine in safe mode. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-my-monitor-go-black-at-start-up/ea503680-79b1-4501-96cc-9c8dde8587ce
  6. Why does my monitor go black at start up?

Why does my monitor go black at start up?: When i turn on my pc, it starts but the screen goes black, why does the screen go black...the screen is fine in safe mode. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-my-monitor-go-black-at-start-up/ea503680-79b1-4501-96cc-9c8dde8587ce
  7. Why does my monitor go black at start up?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Monitor freezes and then turns black

Monitor freezes and then turns black: This only happens when I play video games.When I play games like League of Legends and Raft, every now and then my monitor will freeze and then turn black, there is a period between the freezing and black screen where the monitor appears to be fully turned off and all sound...
  9. External monitor going black

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External monitor going black: I have a laptop with a damaged screen, so I started using a flat screen TV as a monitor connected with an HDMI cable. I actually have 2 different Dynex flat screens. Both used to work fine. Now one the larger, newer one will display for a short period then go black. The...
  10. Monitor go brown and then black

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitor go brown and then black: Sometimes when Im playing games the monitor starts blinking from brown to black and then I can't do anything unless turn it off from the power button! Any suggestions what can be? submitted by /u/HB209 [link] [comments]...