Windows 10: Monitors Randomly Reassigned at Bootup

Discus and support Monitors Randomly Reassigned at Bootup in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've had this problem since Windows 7 and I see it still it's fixed in Windows 10 Pro: When I boot up my machine, a random, different monitor gets... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by M A Weiss, Feb 21, 2019.

1. M A Weiss Win User

Monitors Randomly Reassigned at Bootup

I've had this problem since Windows 7 and I see it still it's fixed in Windows 10 Pro:

When I boot up my machine, a random, different monitor gets assigned as my primary monitor, or my primary monitor number changes.

I have 3 displays.. a 2.5K main UI display, a 4K video output display that's also extended desktop, and a 4K projector in the screening room that is also extended desktop when Premiere Pro is not outputting to it.

For instance, during one session, my primary display was monitor #1. After rebooting, it became monitor #2. Sometimes it's monitor #3.

The problem with this is that my apps get confused and my Wacom tablet mapping gets out of whack.

Adobe Premiere chooses which monitors will be used to output full screen video. When the monitors get renumbered, this changes the assignments in Premiere Pro.

Wacom tablet mapping changes too. If Wacom stylus is mapped to monitor 1, and the system is rebooted and suddenly primary becomes monitor 3, I have no pointer on screen as my tablet is mapped to a display that's on the other side of the room and turned off at the time.

If I fix this, I have to go fix it for every application setting within the Wacom preferences.

Naturally, I can't be spending half an hour reconfiguring tablet for every application and reconfiguring Adobe programs that use full screen output, every time I reboot. This is one of the reasons why I never turn off my editing workstation, because I don't want to be in for nasty surprises while I'm working with a client looking over my shoulder.

It was much worse in Windows 7, such that my whole desktop would get scrambled as well, and it's gotten a bit better, but it's still not what it should be.

Are there plans to prevent monitor assignments from randomly changing on multimonitor pro installations, or is this what we are to live with on a consumer quality operating system?

:)

M A Weiss, Feb 21, 2019
  2. Anna Bon Win User

Reassign shorcut

Let us perform some other process. You can reassign some keys to access different commands, shortcuts, or Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center features to better fit your work style.

Please note that the options listed in this wizard vary depending on the key selected. For example, since you cannot reassign the Windows key, the only option available is to disable it. To reassign a key, please follow the steps below:

• Using the keyboard that you want to configure, start Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center.
    • From the displayed list of key names, select the key you want to reassign.
    • In the command list of the key that you want to reassign, select a command.

Let us know the outcome of the steps provided.

Thank you.

Anna Bon, Feb 21, 2019
  3. polsar88 Win User
    Triple monitor issue - left monitor not woken up from sleep during bootup

I have restarted the computer 14 times in a row and some interesting patterns have emerged:

• The left monitor woke up by itself on 4 of the 14 restarts: 1st, 5th, 9th, and 14th. So the monitor wakes up every 4th restart (or 5th in the last case).
    • When the left monitor wakes up, the time it takes to login is extremely fast – the delay between entering the password and when the desktop appears is very small. But when the monitor does NOT wake up, and I have to wake it up manually, the delay is considerably
      longer.
    • The left monitor waking up correlates very strongly with fast startup. What I mean by that is that the startups programs start very quickly. If the monitor does not wake up, the startup is much slower.

It's as if there is some sort of jam/timeout issue in the Windows bootup process. What would be a good tool to investigate this further? Something that can give me a detailed trace of the bootup process?

polsar88, Feb 21, 2019
  4. Monitors Randomly Reassigned at Bootup

Monitor is going black or distorted white randomly

I have a LCD monitor on my computer. Randomly, the monitor will either go completely black (as if powered off, and the power light turns off) or it will get a distorted frozen white screen (like how your smartphone would look if you dropped it in a toilet and tried to turn it on). Not too surprising, I have not dropped this 21 inch monitor in a toilet. The only way I can get the monitor to work again is by unplugging it and plugging it back in

I'm pretty sure that it is just a dead monitor that needs to be replaced, but a friend suggested that it might just be the power cord, since the monitor will work (like it is now) for hours on end, then suddenly start randomly not working. It's worth checking out, but before dropping money on a new monitor (if it isn't the power cord), can anyone confirm (or strongly suggest) that it is not a CPU issue or video card? Or maybe someone has seen this before?

Steven Rayback, Feb 21, 2019
Thema:

Monitors Randomly Reassigned at Bootup

1. Monitors Randomly Reassigned at Bootup - Similar Threads - Monitors Randomly Reassigned

2. Second Monitor is not working when bootup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second Monitor is not working when bootup: My second monitor doesn't work after I bootup my pc I always have to Right click on desktop>Display settings>Multiple displays>change it from Show only on 1 to Extend these displaysMy PC specs:Intel Core I5-4460 3.2GHz8GB Ram 1600MHzGigabyte H81-S2PTMSI Nvidia GeForce GTX...
  3. Second Monitor is not working when bootup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second Monitor is not working when bootup: My second monitor doesn't work after I bootup my pc I always have to Right click on desktop>Display settings>Multiple displays>change it from Show only on 1 to Extend these displaysMy PC specs:Intel Core I5-4460 3.2GHz8GB Ram 1600MHzGigabyte H81-S2PTMSI Nvidia GeForce GTX...
  4. Second Monitor is not working when bootup

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Monitors switched during bootup, I want to fix that

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitors switched during bootup, I want to fix that: Hi, Stupid question but I thought I'd ask. I have my larger monitor set up to be my main monitor for all things I do, the second monitor is a smaller monitor for extra stuff or viewing tutorials while I'm working on the larger monitor. ANYWAY, during the boot up the larger...
  6. Monitors switched during bootup, I want to fix that

in Windows 10 Support
    Monitors switched during bootup, I want to fix that: Hi, Stupid question but I thought I'd ask. I have my larger monitor set up to be my main monitor for all things I do, the second monitor is a smaller monitor for extra stuff or viewing tutorials while I'm working on the larger monitor. ANYWAY, during the boot up the larger...
  7. Reassigning touchpad buttons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reassigning touchpad buttons: Hi! Does anyone know if it's possible to reassign the touchpad buttons on a laptop? I use a bluetooth mouse and would therefore like to use the touchpads left and right buttons with my thumb for something else. But I can't seem to find a solution for this. It could be that...
  8. Reassigning Monitor ID's

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reassigning Monitor ID's: [ATTACH] Windows derped when I replaced a monitor that died today and reassigned the monitor ID's. Normally this shouldn't be an issue however, the monitor now ID'd as 2, which was 3, is an aging display that can't reproduce colors very well. This is important as some of...
  9. Random freezes + bootup issues after

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random freezes + bootup issues after: Dear friends, I'm new to this forum and would like to seek help to my problem. Been experiencing random freezes, sometimes with a blue screen, sometimes green, sometimes pink even and many times just running lines on the edge of the screen when freezing. I'm not running any...
  10. Reassign account to New Administrator

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Reassign account to New Administrator: how do I reassign my old laptop to another person as administrator..??? I would like to give my laptop that has windows 10 on it to my friend as the new adminstrator of the acccount, and take my family group off any help would be greatly appreciated....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Reassigned the monitor