Windows 10: Monitors set to "Disconnect this display" on startup

Discus and support Monitors set to "Disconnect this display" on startup in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have a 3 monitor setup, with my primary monitor set to monitor 2. Whenever I restart or update my computer it will change the monitor settings for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Xzavior, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Xzavior Win User

Monitors set to "Disconnect this display" on startup

I have a 3 monitor setup, with my primary monitor set to monitor 2. Whenever I restart or update my computer it will change the monitor settings for monitor 2 and 3 to "Disconnect this display" rather than "Extend desktop to this display." This is very annoying because monitor 1 is a TV that I use when I want to play games laying down, so I have to sit at an awkward angle to change the settings back to normal. Is there any way I can prevent windows from changing my monitor settings on a reboot?

:)

Xzavior, Nov 21, 2021

2. No display on monitor when TV set as primary display

Issue solved

Removed DVI/HDMI cable from computer and monitor

Step 1: Check if the VGA monitor cable is defective.

1. Turn off computer
    2. Connect the monitor VGA cable from the monitor to the VGA port on the computer
    3. Turn on computer, VGA monitor cable is good.

Step 2: Tun off computer
    1. Connect HDMI Cable to HDMI port and TV
    2. Turn on computer and TV, there is no monitor black screen
    3. Click on the Windows logo, select the Settings icon , and then select

System. Under Display there are two squares, labeled 1 and 2

D Click on Advanced Display Settings:

Display information: Display 1- Monitor Display 2 -TV

E Right-click the Speakers icon in
      the taskbar, select Sound, click on Playback devices,

a s tv screen with my brand shows
      AMD High Definition Audio Device ready.

F. Problem solved

Cause of the problem: Defective VGA port on the Syba VGA HD15+ 3.5 Audio to HDMI converter

Rooben Kajima, Nov 21, 2021
  3. Vivian_S Win User
    External monitor display settings

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with the display scaling on your external displays. We will certainly look into this for you.

As you are using Vizio TV, you may have to try using custom resolution settings if the in-built settings do not provide the required settings.

For better clarity, please let us know:

• What is the version of Windows 10 that is currently installed on your computer? You can click on Search and type
      winver.
    • Are you aware of any recent changes to the system, such as updates, after which you are facing this issue?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to check the steps mentioned in the Workaround section in

Windows scaling issues for high-DPI devices

I would also suggest you to check the Display drivers. Please refer

Troubleshoot external monitor connections in Windows 10

Set up dual monitors on Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Vivian S

Vivian_S, Nov 21, 2021
  4. Junaid_A Win User

Primary monitor blacks out after disconnecting from external

Hi Oscar,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

• Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer prior to this issue?

This issue could be due to the display setting corruption that only affected the primary display when disconnected from the secondary.

I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works for you:

• Press ‘Win + R’ keys on the keyboard together to open the Run dialog box and type the following into the Run box:
      appwiz.cpl
    • Uninstall Intel HD Graphics Drivers and exit
      Programs and Features.
    • Right click the Windows icon on the taskbar and choose
      Device Manager
    • Expand Display Adapters and right click on
      Intel HD Graphics Display Driver.
    • Click on Uninstall and check the box
      Delete the driver software for this device.

• With the external monitor connected, reboot the machine.
    • Once the machine boots into the desktop, disconnect the external monitor and check if the issue persists.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Nov 21, 2021
Thema:

1. Monitors set to "Disconnect this display" on startup - Similar Threads - Monitors set Disconnect

2. Windows 10 keeps setting third monitor to "Disconnect this display" on boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 keeps setting third monitor to "Disconnect this display" on boot: I have 3 identical monitors, two of which are connected via DisplayPort, the third one uses HDMI:Monitor setup and connection from left to right as displayed in Windows3 - HDMI2 - DisplayPort main1 - DisplayPortEach time I boot Windows monitor 1 which is the one on the right...
  3. Windows 10 keeps setting third monitor to "Disconnect this display" on boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 keeps setting third monitor to "Disconnect this display" on boot: I have 3 identical monitors, two of which are connected via DisplayPort, the third one uses HDMI:Monitor setup and connection from left to right as displayed in Windows3 - HDMI2 - DisplayPort main1 - DisplayPortEach time I boot Windows monitor 1 which is the one on the right...
  4. Windows 10 keeps setting third monitor to "Disconnect this display" on boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. No display on startup with monitor turned on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No display on startup with monitor turned on: I have a problem with booting up Windows 10 Pro x64. When I start up or reboot my PC with any of my monitors turned on the Windows Logon screen doesn't show up.The main monitor wakes up and the backlight turns on but the screen stays black. The problem doesn't occur if I turn...
  6. No display on startup with monitor turned on

No display on startup with monitor turned on: I have a problem with booting up Windows 10 Pro x64. When I start up or reboot my PC with any of my monitors turned on the Windows Logon screen doesn't show up.The main monitor wakes up and the backlight turns on but the screen stays black. The problem doesn't occur if I turn...
  7. Monitor not displaying the WinRE/Advanced Startup

Monitor not displaying the WinRE/Advanced Startup: My PC is having a problem with the PIN, and is saying the PIN is unavailable. I have attempted to fix the problem by trying to reset the PC, but when I do Shift + Restart in the login screen it doesn't display the troubleshoot screen required on my monitor. I believe the...
  8. Monitors set to "Disconnect this display" on startup

Monitors set to "Disconnect this display" on startup: I have a 3 monitor setup, with my primary monitor set to monitor 2. Whenever I restart or update my computer it will change the monitor settings for monitor 2 and 3 to "Disconnect this display" rather than "Extend desktop to this display." This is very annoying because...
  9. Monitors set to "Disconnect this display" on startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitors set to "Disconnect this display" on startup: I have a 3 monitor setup, with my primary monitor set to monitor 2. Whenever I restart or update my computer it will change the monitor settings for monitor 2 and 3 to "Disconnect this display" rather than "Extend desktop to this display." This is very annoying because...
  10. Display Monitor Setting Changes on Startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Display Monitor Setting Changes on Startup: I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows 10. My main display monitor is a LG 24 widescreen plugged into the laptop. With Windows 7, I had no problems in using Fn key f5 to set the display to only the LG (showing as "CRT" on the screen). This did not change when I re-booted...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how stop monitors from starting as disconnected on startup