Windows 10: Mono audio forced in headphones (and other strange effects)

Discus and support Mono audio forced in headphones (and other strange effects) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Issues: Whenever I play any audio, the sound is distorted. Specifically, instrumental music often echoes, as if the computer is simulating audio in a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tobybug, Dec 3, 2019.

1. tobybug Win User

Mono audio forced in headphones (and other strange effects)

Issues:
    Whenever I play any audio, the sound is distorted. Specifically, instrumental music often echoes, as if the computer is simulating audio in a cave. Some instruments are also muted. Any voices are either muted, distorted (like a bad connection on a phone call), or made much quieter, as if they were talking or singing on the other side of the cave.
    These issues started yesterday, I think. I had recently moved my computer to a new location, but everything was plugged in in the same places.

These issues disappear when I set the left-right balance slider all the way to the right (or the left) in Realtek HD Audio manager. (See pic, bottom left corner)

Mono audio forced in headphones (and other strange effects) [​IMG]

This does not make all the audio play from one side, instead it plays audio on both sides of my headphones. However, the audio played is actually the right channel, which can be confirmed by playing a test sound in either ear. Essentially, it forces the right channel to play in both ears.

I really enjoy having stereo audio when I listen to music and videos, could someone please help me fix this?

Attempted fixes:
    I have found many methods of fixing this through Google, with little success, including but not limited to:
    I have turned off all sound enhancements from sound settings in Control panel (it wasn't on to begin with).
    I have turned off mono audio in the accessibility settings (it wasn't on).
    I have gone through Realtek HD Audio Manager and reset to default/turned off sound effects, equalizer adjustments, environment simulations, karyoke effects, headphone virtualization, and everything else that I could find (none of them were on).
    I've updated Windows to version 1909 (see pic)

Mono audio forced in headphones (and other strange effects) [​IMG]

I've gone into Device Manager and disabled and re-enabled the default output device.
    I've tried making Windows update the audio driver for the default output device, then I updated it myself by uninstalling the driver and installing a new one from Realtek's website.
    I've tried using earbuds instead of headphones.
    I've looked at every input device and unchecked the box that says "Listen to this device" (It wasn't checked).
    I've gone through the default sound troubleshooter 3-4 times.
    I've restarted the computer many times during this process.
    After every method, the problem has persisted.

Conclusions and Speculation:
    I wonder if Windows is trying to simulate some kind of surround sound, and force it into my headphone jack. If so, I don't want it. It might be a problem with the registry. I'm not confident I won't screw anything up if I touch the registry without guidance, so I came to this forum in case someone smarter than me knows what's going on.

:)

tobybug, Dec 3, 2019

2. Headphones only outputting audio in mono

Hello,

I'd like to play Stereo audio when my headphones are plugged in to my 3.5mm audio port, but they are only outputting in Mono. Stereo works when using them through Bluetooth, but I often use them wired and would like them to play Stereo properly that way
    as well.

System specifications:

Windows 10 64 bit home

3.5mm Audio jack

Realtek Audio

JBL live 650btnc-le headphones

My audio drivers are all up to date.

The "mono" audio option in Ease of Access is turned off.

Turning audio enhancements on or off in the properties menu doesn't solve the problem.

Restarting the computer doesn't solve the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tyler Cernak, Dec 3, 2019
  3. Kitsurai Win User
    Mono audio loss

I use mono to listen to music with one headphone.

For some tracks, all or part of the audio is 180 degrees out of phase between the stereo channels, silencing it.

Solution: Invert one channel then mix both channels, halve the amplitude of the result, then mix it with the original mono track.

Is there a way to make that solution part of the mono function?

* Moved from Community Participation Center

Kitsurai, Dec 3, 2019
  4. MRU
    MrU Win User

Command for toggling mono audio

There is an option in Settings app under Ease of Access > Audio that allows system-wide mono audio.

I find the audio sounds better on mono audio when using telecoil neckloops, however I switch between the neckloop and headphones and find it annoying that I left the mono audio on when using headphones.

Is there a command that I can create a shortcut to, and I can activate it using an automation task or manually?

Thema:

1. Mono audio forced in headphones (and other strange effects) - Similar Threads - Mono audio forced

2. Bluetooth headphones change to mono audio whenever launching an app or game.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth headphones change to mono audio whenever launching an app or game.: I have tried everything from disabling handsfree telephony to disabling the headset portion in the 30 different redundant audio menus. I have also tried setting the headphones to my default audio output, as well as setting my standalone microphone to my default audio input....
  3. Bluetooth headphones change to mono audio whenever launching an app or game.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth headphones change to mono audio whenever launching an app or game.: I have tried everything from disabling handsfree telephony to disabling the headset portion in the 30 different redundant audio menus. I have also tried setting the headphones to my default audio output, as well as setting my standalone microphone to my default audio input....
  4. Noise suppression effect forced on all my audio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Noise suppression effect forced on all my audio: Hi,I have this weird effect with some of my audio I think that it happens more when two things are playing at the same time? where it will sound like the audio is being put through a noise suppression filter. This is a problem because it's doing it with music, mostly. Is this...
  5. Noise suppression effect forced on all my audio

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Noise suppression effect forced on all my audio: Hi,I have this weird effect with some of my audio I think that it happens more when two things are playing at the same time? where it will sound like the audio is being put through a noise suppression filter. This is a problem because it's doing it with music, mostly. Is this...
  6. Headphone audio from one side only, not mono

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headphone audio from one side only, not mono: So, I do not know what is the problem, my computer is completely up to date, with every driver also updated. I checked if the sound was on zero in the levels tab, i checked if it was in mono, i cleaned my headphone jack on the laptop, but sound is still only coming from one...
  7. Make audio output mono

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Make audio output mono: [ATTACH] How do I make it so that the audio output is mono? https://preview.redd.it/bwmy6couaq961.png?width=242&format=png&auto=webp&s=9af7afeb2da85abe6a1eaa038603f8e7926f984e submitted by /u/36_foxtrot [link] [comments]...
  8. Mono audio troubles

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mono audio troubles: Hi, I’ve been having some problems with the audio in my pc... it seems as though no matter what I do it’s always mono audio. The mono audio setting is off and the realtek audio console is no help to this issue at all. When I turn my main volume slider in the Realtek console...
  9. Can't Record Mono Audio

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't Record Mono Audio: Hello! I'll try and make this short. I'm trying to record mono audio from my microphone, but it only records the left I did the following: I went to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Recording > and then I chose the microphone I'm using. When I select it and...
  10. Headphones only outputting audio in mono

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headphones only outputting audio in mono: Hello, I'd like to play Stereo audio when my headphones are plugged in to my 3.5mm audio port, but they are only outputting in Mono. Stereo works when using them through Bluetooth, but I often use them wired and would like them to play Stereo properly that way as well....