Windows 10: Moore's Law

Discus and support Moore's Law in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Back in 1989/90, when I took a Masters in Information Studies, we had to do a group essay on the future of computing. At that time, the pundits were... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by musiclover7, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Fafhrd Win User

Moore's Law

Back in 1989/90, when I took a Masters in Information Studies, we had to do a group essay on the future of computing. At that time, the pundits were all saying that Silicon was nearing the limit of numbers of transistors/chip, hard disks were reaching the limit of storage, and that we had to find new technologies like optical computing, holographic storage, superconducting computers and gallium arsenide to replace Silicon.

386sx processors, 1 Mb RAM, VGA monitors and Windows 3.0, and 200MB hard disks were new and desirable - but out of range of our pockets. at more than £1500.

I am running Windows 10 on 10-year old hardware, and speed is not an issue, so something has changed, and it's not Moore's Law, it is the requirement for ever faster hardware has stopped.

128-bit computing, although the technology has been around for years, is not necessary. Even the Weather and climate forecasting number-crunching supercomputers perform with 64-bit technology. You might find your GPU uses some 128-bit processing, but that's all.

Why do you need an 8TB single point of failure in your PC when it is safer to upload to some cloud storage, and what app or OS needs 64 GB RAM to perform adequately?

When our needs start to exceed the current hardware possibilities, the Moore's Law curve will start climbing again, but someone will have to think of some new, attainable uses for computing first, and it isn't desktop apps, rocket science, medical imaging, pharmaceutical design or anything else you can think of, because anything you can think of has already been done.

Fafhrd, Jul 21, 2015
  2. sgage Win User

In any case, Moore's 'Law' is not a 'law' - it is more like an observation of a trend for a while. It's not like the Law of Gravity or something like that, though sometimes it seems people treat it that way. It is not written into the fabric of the Universe.

sgage, Jul 21, 2015
  3. Fafhrd Win User
    Moore's law has been around long enough to call it that, Like Newton's Law of Gravity, a good enough approximation under special circumstances to hold good for most predictions.

Moore's Law [​IMG]
    thanks to Wikipedia
    However, in a more generalized universe where you may be very close to supermassive objects moving at high relative velocities or at very small scales, it just doesn't work so well.

There may be a few physical constants or limits, but universal laws are more for metaphysics than for modern physics, in which we realize, we know so little about the cosmos and the quantum universe.

Nothing is written into the fabric of the universe. Laws are written by Men.

Fafhrd, Jul 22, 2015
  4. sgage Win User

Moore's Law

Except Newton's Laws aren't going to change.

sgage, Jul 22, 2015
  5. Everyone has different needs. I support hospital radiology archives from my home, and strangely enough I have more storage than many of the hospital's I support. My desire for an 8 terabyte drive is mainly to serve as a stash pit or backup, to prevent data loss. I mostly have 2 copies of all of my files, but an extra 8 terabytes to easily and cheaply back things up to would be welcome.

musiclover7, Jul 22, 2015
  6. ARC1020 Win User
    Upload time maybe a bit problematic...

ARC1020, Jul 22, 2015
  7. Mystere Win User
    Actually, they can. Sort of. There are many factors that go into physics. For instance, a force working against another force can counteract it, and make it appear to violate laws of gravity. A favorite bar-trick of mine uses Equilibrium to counteract gravity.

Balancing Forks on the Tip of a Toothpick Trick - YouTube

Of course this doesn't REALLY change the law, but it does alter its effects.

Mystere, Jul 22, 2015
  8. sgage Win User

Moore's Law

All I'm saying is that Moore's 'Law' is not in the same category, is not the same logical type, as Newton's Law of Gravitation. It should have been called 'Moore's Observation', or something like that.

sgage, Jul 22, 2015
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    Newtons laws of gravitation and motion are special cases. They work fine for most situations on the surface of the earth or for most of the visible planets.

Ask Einstein how Newton's law fails to predict the position of Mercury though.

Nothing (not even light) continues in a straight line or at a constant velocity when relativistic points of view are taken into consideration. Everything is curved, even space.

8TB all at once? are we talking about a database or lots of music an image files? If you are a serious business user you will have fibre to your datacentre, but as far as you are concerned it is cloud storage. Not a piffling 80 Mbps internet connection, but similar rates to your Helium drive of say 12 GBps or even more. If businesses can do it today, it will be available to all within a few years. If the demand is there.

Fafhrd, Jul 22, 2015
  10. sgage Win User
    Yes, I know all that, and you know what I meant.

sgage, Jul 22, 2015
  11. Fafhrd Win User
    Ok I don't want an eternal polemic. We both know what "Moore's Law" means, and as such has limited use, but it held true as an empirical observation until recently, when our requirements for ever more computing power started to slow down. It has been extrapolated to encompass all areas of evolving computer hardware, including storage and even the rate of growth of number of WWW pages.

That Moore's conjecture is of less impact and stature than those of Isaac Newton, I'd agree. If Newton has seen further by standing on the shoulders of Giants, then I suppose I have annoyed them by treading on their toes. Forgive me.

Our belief system enabled us to believe that there were immutable physical laws, until the 20th century - since then, it is realised that even in Physics, there are exceptions to even the simplest laws. Even Mathematics is at its most interesting when some bright star proves some longstanding conjecture, or falsifies it. So, the term law, in science, has been downgraded to a pretty good hypothesis borne out by all the data available at the time, but refuted by xxx under certain conditions (but its easier to call it a law). We'll still call it a Law when we teach it to schoolkids though.

I think this illustrates my point about changing perceptions of the way things used to be done, rather well:
    No RTM for Windows 10, Microsoft Says - Thurrott.com

Fafhrd, Jul 22, 2015
  12. Basically summed up right here. Moore's law applies and gets accelerated by market demands. There is more demand for battery life than hard drive space, more demand for faster internet than more processor cores.

What the average person does these days on quad core processors with four gigs of RAM is ample enough to last a decade. Back then, a single 100MHz processor with 64MB of RAM seemed like a lot, but then computing needs changed and that is puny.

Coke Robot, Jul 22, 2015
  13. Moore's Law

Manufacturers could release 5.25" HDDs to boost storage capacity.
    That would multiply the storage area by ~2.25 times.

The "Cloud" is OK for people with 1 Gb/s Internet connections.

8 TB would take at least 925 days to upload on our connection.
    It would only take ~1 day to copy that much data to a HDD.

Adobe Premiere Pro?

lehnerus2000, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Moore's Law

1. Moore's Law - Similar Threads - Moore's Law

2. Microsoft licensing in breach of contract, and deceptive trade practices law.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft licensing in breach of contract, and deceptive trade practices law.: Microsoft advertised that the upgrade from windows 10 to windows 11 would be free, and I have received a notice that my license is expiring, therefore if I have to buy another copy of windows 11, I am intending to sue Microsoft for breach of contract and deceptive trade...
  3. Microsoft licensing in breach of contract, and deceptive trade practices law.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft licensing in breach of contract, and deceptive trade practices law.: Microsoft advertised that the upgrade from windows 10 to windows 11 would be free, and I have received a notice that my license is expiring, therefore if I have to buy another copy of windows 11, I am intending to sue Microsoft for breach of contract and deceptive trade...
  4. There is a typo instead of Law it reads Lawv

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There is a typo instead of Law it reads Lawv: https://www.loom.com/share/4fcbc3d7076149e7963f213987101ce2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-is-a-typo-instead-of-law-it-reads-lawv/68340615-3f7a-4f61-bfa5-c688bb993ca3
  5. There is a typo instead of Law it reads Lawv

There is a typo instead of Law it reads Lawv: https://www.loom.com/share/4fcbc3d7076149e7963f213987101ce2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-is-a-typo-instead-of-law-it-reads-lawv/68340615-3f7a-4f61-bfa5-c688bb993ca3
  6. What law enforcement agency do I report an App Ads.fiancetrack2.dll fake alert to?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What law enforcement agency do I report an App Ads.fiancetrack2.dll fake alert to?: At https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/concern/scam?SilentAuth=1&wa=wsignin1.0 I reported to Microsoft an App Ads.fiancetrack2.dll fake alert technical support scam which happened to me today. When I submitted the report, the customer complaint form app suggested I report the...
  7. What law enforcement agency do I report an App Ads.fiancetrack2.dll fake alert to?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What law enforcement agency do I report an App Ads.fiancetrack2.dll fake alert to?: At https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/concern/scam?SilentAuth=1&wa=wsignin1.0 I reported to Microsoft an App Ads.fiancetrack2.dll fake alert technical support scam which happened to me today. When I submitted the report, the customer complaint form app suggested I report the...
  8. What law enforcement agency do I report an App Ads.fiancetrack2.dll fake alert to?

9. Can't login with Pin, my father in law can't remember any of his secutity questions. pin...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't login with Pin, my father in law can't remember any of his secutity questions. pin...: He knows the PIN but sign in via PIN isn't reponding and he doesn't remember his password or security question answers as he's always logged in via PIN.Any ideas on how to rest the PIN?...
  10. What's Next For OneDrive with engineering Partner/GPM Jason Moore

in Windows 10 News
    What's Next For OneDrive with engineering Partner/GPM Jason Moore: This week, Jason Moore, OneDrive engineering partner and group program manager and I chat about the new features we announced at SPCNA last week. We dig into how engineering balances the voice of the customer with understanding the product truth when deciding what feature...