Windows 10: more columns on windows screen for icons?

Discus and support more columns on windows screen for icons? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I need help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/more-columns-on-windows-screen-for-icons/4ce92140-5121-4ddb-a978-a570fa07f4a7 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JohnAbbott3, May 24, 2020.

1. more columns on windows screen for icons?

I need help

:)

JohnAbbott3, May 24, 2020

2. Windows vista x64 computer icon always changing

what icons are you referring to?
    In the Windows Explorer list or desktop?

twicksisted, May 24, 2020
  3. Mystere Win User
    Desktop Icon Columns

The line shows insertion point, just like the caret when you drag text in word or other apps.

When you have Auto-arrange, the icons are constrained to the auto-arranged group. This has always been the case, but in older versions of Windows if you dropped the icon outside of the range it just moved it back to the end of the list. The effect here is the same, you get the icon moved to the same place, but the feedback just always shows you where the icon will go.

You certainly CAN move icons to more than one column, I had no trouble doing this.

See this image where I dragged an icon in auto-arrange mode from the left column to the right

more columns on windows screen for icons? [​IMG]

Mystere, May 24, 2020
  4. more columns on windows screen for icons?

Adjust the Number of Columns in the Start Menu beyond 4

Thank you for your reply Sangeeta.

I tried your steps and was not able to get it to work.

When you are in full screen in three column mode I was not able to add or move an icon to a fourth column.

When I turned on the more columns mode (4 columns) in full screen I was able to add or move an icon to a fourth column on both of the 4 column panels, however, when I de-selected the full screen mode to show the left hand column (recent items, settings,
    all apps, etc.) the start menu reverted to one 4 column panel organized vertically instead of a horizontal arrangement of two four column panels which is what I was hoping to achieve. There is ample screen space to have two 4 column panels in the default
    start screen mode (i.e. not full screen mode).

I also went through several shutdowns and reboots to see if that would make a difference in trying to add more columns to the default start screen. Shutting down and restarting did not help.

In sum, I am trying to utilize the horizontal space when not in full screen mode so I don't have to scroll down to see all the apps or icons. By adding more available columns I can add more Apps and still see them on the screen without having to scroll.
    To me, having to scroll to see all the Apps defeats the functionality of the start screen in default mode or full screen. In prior versions of Windows you could add many, many icons without having to scroll.

Finally, when I turned off the more columns selection to go back to three column mode I was left with one long vertical column instead of the two 3 column panels which I had before I started this exercise. After rebooting I was able to get back to the two
    3 column panels which I had originally.

So a lot of effort and time was expended to get back to where I started.

In the future, I would ask that you (or anyone else) do all the steps on your own Surface Book or Tablet to insure that they resolve the issue before suggesting that someone try some steps that maybe will solve the issue or maybe not.

Thank you,

Jim

JP Surface Book, May 24, 2020
Thema:

more columns on windows screen for icons?

1. more columns on windows screen for icons? - Similar Threads - more columns screen

2. How to remove / icons in the language column?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to remove / icons in the language column?: Same this question topic: https://answers.microsoft.com/zh-hans/windows/forum/all/win10%E5%A6%82%E4%BD%95%E5%8E%BB%E6%8E%89%E8%AF%AD/2437e7d4-61dc-45f6-ad86-295a16e8f027But the topic didn't solve my problem. The questioner solved the problem himself, but he didn't know how to...
  3. How to remove / icons in the language column?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove / icons in the language column?: Same this question topic: https://answers.microsoft.com/zh-hans/windows/forum/all/win10%E5%A6%82%E4%BD%95%E5%8E%BB%E6%8E%89%E8%AF%AD/2437e7d4-61dc-45f6-ad86-295a16e8f027But the topic didn't solve my problem. The questioner solved the problem himself, but he didn't know how to...
  4. How to remove / icons in the language column?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 11 changes number of icons on a column on desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 changes number of icons on a column on desktop.: Hello. I'm a Windows 10 and Windows 11 user. I've recently upgraded to Windows 11 but Windows 11 has changed number of icons on a column on desktop. It displays only 9 on Windows 11 desktop screen whereas 10 on Windows 10. How do I make Windows 11 desktop having 10 rows of...
  6. Windows 11 changes number of icons on a column on desktop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 changes number of icons on a column on desktop.: Hello. I'm a Windows 10 and Windows 11 user. I've recently upgraded to Windows 11 but Windows 11 has changed number of icons on a column on desktop. It displays only 9 on Windows 11 desktop screen whereas 10 on Windows 10. How do I make Windows 11 desktop having 10 rows of...
  7. More than 3 columns in Windows Startscreen Fullscreen mode?

More than 3 columns in Windows Startscreen Fullscreen mode?: Hi, is there any way I can place 4 icon side by side without creating a new group in start screen or resizing the icons to small? Thanks in advance. [img] 145290
  8. How to make the window10 "Highlight" of work column more obvious

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make the window10 "Highlight" of work column more obvious: In window7 The working window "Highlight" on the work bar is very obvious [img] But in win10 this is not very obvious [img] I can't use the first intuition to correctly select the target window in milliseconds to 1-2 seconds, in 4~8 working windows. Minimize the window...
  9. 1803 update - No more file details in Windows Explorer columns for mkv

in Windows 10 Support
    1803 update - No more file details in Windows Explorer columns for mkv: and e.g. frame height and width are no longer listed for almost all mkv files and some mp4 files. strangely, some few mkv files work, though most dont display properties in windows file explorer since the 1803 update. apparently this seems to be an issue looking at the...
  10. Desktop Icon Columns

Desktop Icon Columns: I have lots of shortcut icons on my desktop for files and programs. That means 2 or 3 columns of small icons. It would appear the Win 10 will only allow 1 column. I've messed with the icon spacing and vertical spacing (regedit) and the vertical spacing works but horizontal...