Windows 10: More disk space used by Windows 10 with upgradation

Discus and support More disk space used by Windows 10 with upgradation in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, When I purchased a Windows 10 laptop. I believe it was Windows 10 1809 version in the laptop. C Drive size is 100GB. That time, free space was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by InTechSys, Aug 7, 2020.

1. InTechSys Win User

More disk space used by Windows 10 with upgradation

Hi,

When I purchased a Windows 10 laptop. I believe it was Windows 10 1809 version in the laptop.
    C Drive size is 100GB. That time, free space was between 50-55GB.

Since that day I didn’t install additional application in the laptop.
    Now it’s upgraded to Windows 10 2004 with free space 22GB.

On another side, I installed Windows 10 2004 in another computer as fresh installation with bootable USB stick.
    Initially I taken C Drive size as 20GB and Windows 10 2004 installed successfully with free space of 8 GB.
    It means, Windows 10 2004 taken only 12 GB in case of fresh installation.

But in case of upgradation, it’s taking more disk space.

Please let me know, how to diagnose and fix it without fresh installation?

With Regards
    InTechSys

:)

InTechSys, Aug 7, 2020

2. Windows 10 upgrade rant..

The free space shouldn't prevent you from upgrading to built 1607. I manually upgraded my own laptop which had only 9gigs free space left on the system drive.

I unzipped the Windows 10 Pro anniversary edition ISO on my D drive, and started the upgrade process from there. At one point the installer complained about not having enough free space on the main drive, i just had to point it to the D drive to proceed to the next step. Now the rollback installation is stored there and doesn't clog up the C drive anymore.

In your case you could insert a large sdcard to act as the required rollback drive, i'm pretty sure it would do the trick.

Oh and by the way, if you want to further compress your System files:
    • do a search Command Prompt, right-click it, and select Run as administrator.
    • Type COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:always and hit Enter.
    You'll will gain anything from 2 to 4 gigs free space after it's done.

blobster21, Aug 7, 2020
  3. hard disk space

Hello,

Taking into consideration that the free space is shrinking fast, it is possible that your system is creating restore points. To
    delete restore points except for the recent one, simply follow the steps below:

• From the Cortana search box, type Disk Cleanup and click on the first result.
    • Once the Disk Cleanup window appears, select the
      More Options
      tab.
    • Under the System Restore and Shadow Copies column, click on the
      Clean up... button.

Once done with the steps, see if your disk space has expanded.

If you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Aug 7, 2020
  4. trog100 Win User

Windows 10 upgrade rant..

the machine "without enough disk space" has a 128 gig micro sd card installed as well as its 32 gig system drive.. it shows up as drive D..

the problem is windows and its totally useless error message.. it could for example (when its aware there is limited system drive space) use the additional drive to download and store its extra upgrade stuff.. or before it starts it could give the user the option of doing this.. it does none of what it should do and comes across as a total kludge..

i consider myself computer savvy and got around the problem in the end.. the average user would not have.. windows advice is pathetic and utterly useless..

my machine is a Linx 1010 tablet.. 32 gig of solid state drive space and 2 gigs of ram.. bought about three weeks back with its keyboard dock for £140.. a very good value for money portable "browsing" machine with a good battery life.. they come with win 10 installed and there must be loads of them out there..

used with care the 32 gig system disk is enough for what the machines are.. however it dosnt seem enough for windows enforced updates.. the problem is windows updates not the machines.. he he..

trog

ps.. i have three more win 10 laptops waiting for the adversary (typo left in) upgrade.. none of them are short of system drive space so should not have problems.. i would not lay money on it though.. he he

my main machine took the upgrade basically okay but borked my nvidia gpu drivers which i had to reinstall to get my SLI back.. it also borked my recrium back up system which had to be patched.. an old dell machine i have took the upgrade with no problems.. windows seems to know how to cope with old dell machines.. *Smile More disk space used by Windows 10 with upgradation :)

trog100, Aug 7, 2020
Thema:

1. More disk space used by Windows 10 with upgradation - Similar Threads - More disk space

2. WPR.exe for Windows 10 uses 2x more CPU, RAM, Disk IOPs, and Disk Space vs. Xperf

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WPR.exe for Windows 10 uses 2x more CPU, RAM, Disk IOPs, and Disk Space vs. Xperf: Hello Windows Support, I would like to report a likely bug that is easily reproducible in Windows Performance Recorder and I like to see it fixed as this is an important tool for determining root cause analysis for OS & Application performance issues.Problem:wpr.exe -start...
  3. more disk space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    more disk space: Can I buy more disk space and will i be allowed to download apps or programs with this additional disk space? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/more-disk-space/fb4a9a17-795e-4755-8ad0-5f45200a0250
  4. Windows showing more used disk space than it should

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows showing more used disk space than it should: The Windows File Explorer says I've used 226 GB out of my 475 GB drive. I thought this number was off, so I checked each large file on the drive (ProgramFiles, ProgramFilesx86, Users, Windows, WindowsUpgrade, etc). Long story short, it all adds up to 186.55 GB instead of the...
  5. Update asking for more disk space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update asking for more disk space: While updating to latest version through update tool, it asked me to connect external drive since my drive is out of space. This happened to me on last update as well....
  6. Windows 10 upgrade disk space

Windows 10 upgrade disk space: I cannot upgrade my windows 10 as there is less than 1GB of space available. I have nothing saved on this device, windows is taking up all the space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-upgrade-disk-space/fae316cb-92db-41a8-9e57-704990a39477
  7. Disk Space Issue Upgrading Windows 10

Disk Space Issue Upgrading Windows 10: Hi, I am trying to update a tablet with 32GB disk the majority of which is consumed by the operating system leaving me insufficient space. I have removed everything that I possibly can and have run clean up and update. I have a SD card and an external hard drive with...
  8. need more storage and disk space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    need more storage and disk space: I am having trouble getting windows 10 downloaded becuz of not having enough space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-more-storage-and-disk-space/5eb28f2b-e81a-4093-8a24-2b60aaeac93f
  9. Windows taking more disk space

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows taking more disk space: I have upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Now, my C drive is almost full with 714GB occupied by "System and reserved". I was in an assumption that, Windows 10 was suppose to take less space. Can you please help me in this. 22430
  10. Windows needs more space on upgrade

Windows needs more space on upgrade: Hi, So I was going to upgrade to Win10 today on my laptop but I received a message about Windows needing more space on my disk drive. 8.1 is installed on my C:\, a 64Go SSD, of which 45Go is available, but only 5Go is free and Windows wants 14.8Go. I cannot create...