Windows 10: More issues with Windows 10 Upgrade - no start menu, cortana, edge

Discus and support More issues with Windows 10 Upgrade - no start menu, cortana, edge in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I know many have discussed the latest windows 10 upgrade, but I have tried almost all the potential solutions, but alas, my computer is still out of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kmine67, Sep 25, 2016.

1. kmine67 Win User

More issues with Windows 10 Upgrade - no start menu, cortana, edge

I know many have discussed the latest windows 10 upgrade, but I have tried almost all the potential solutions, but alas, my computer is still out of whack. (It upgraded 2 nights ago, 23Sep16).

I now have to:
    1.) right-click my mouse on the start button (which no longer is in the colors, but just white on black) to bring up the start menu; again, just basic black with white words. Versus the normal left-click and the windows 10 menu (in color) pops up.
    2.) Cortana stopped working. Can't even put the curser in the "ask me anything" space. Clicking on "Search" under the start menu won't even register that I clicked on it.
    3.) Tried opening the edge internet , it pops up, blue screen with "e" and quickly disappears. As does any of the edge apps (calculator, shop, etc.)

Any suggestions? I've tried the basic, restart. The "fix windows: ( maketecheasier.com/fix-windows-10-start-menu-search/). The Device manager and try System Restore to an earlier date. Nothing seems to bring the functions back. *Sad Luckily Firefox still works; as does my MS office!

:)

kmine67, Sep 25, 2016
  2. Sal67 Win User

No Start Menu / Edge / Cortana / Windows Store / Task View

I've upgraded from Windows 7 Pro x64 to Windows 10 Pro x64 and upgrading was mostly uneventful. Last night the start menu, cortana, edge, the Windows store, and the task view were working. At some point during the night it stopped working. I did several
    reboots but no luck. I couldn't even left click on the start button.

This morning I started the PC and the screen kept switching between a black screen and the desktop. With every iteration, my taskbar icons would appear or disappear. None then some, then everything except the taskview, edge, and the Windows Store. After
    a while of this flashing back and forth, the computer stabilized but with issues.

• Taskview does not work.
    • Edge and the Window store show an error message that says Class Not Registered.
    • Start Menu does not work and left clicking on the Start Menu does not work either.
    • Cortana does not work, nor does the search bar or the microphone icon.
    Any help would be appreciated. I've already done the steps recommended by Giridhar J in
    this thread to no avail ->Windows 10 upgrade - no start menu, Cortana, app store or Edge

Sal67, Sep 25, 2016
  3. Windows 10's start menu, cortana, browser edge not working

I upgraded from windows 8 to 10 some months ago, but when the January 29 update came, the start menu, edge and cortana stopped working. The fixes do not work for me either.

CurtisSano, Sep 25, 2016
  4. Beowulf1 Win User

Open cmd (As administrator) and write
    sfc /scannow
    This should fix system issues.
    If it fails, please post the screen shot of cmd

Beowulf1, Sep 26, 2016
  5. kmine67 Win User
    Here you go... a few screen shots. For some reason I can create jpg and png, but I can't seem to get them to reopen! *Mad I am ready to toss this stupid computer out the window.

More issues with Windows 10 Upgrade - no start menu, cortana, edge [​IMG]

kmine67, Sep 27, 2016
  6. Kryten Win User
    RT click menu has always been like that-white on black
    For the start menu: have you tried

c:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Winx ( copy group 1,2 and 3 folders)

c:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Winx ( delete the group 1,2,3 folders here and paste the default ones from above.)

Reboot your computer

Kryten, Sep 27, 2016
  7. kmine67 Win User
    Thanks, I'll give it a try this weekend! I have a paper due this Sunday, after I send it in - I'll try your suggestion! BTW, I don't have left-click functions at this time. Just rt click.

kmine67, Sep 29, 2016
  8. cmc3215 Win User

I had similar issues after the update. If you have an Nvidia graphics card try uninstalling your Nvidia graphics card drivers, reboot, reinstall latest drivers. Worked for two of my four computers, the only two that had these issues were using Nvidia cards.

cmc3215, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. More issues with Windows 10 Upgrade - no start menu, cortana, edge - Similar Threads - More issues Upgrade

2. start menu and cortana

in Cortana
    start menu and cortana: start menu and cortana do not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-and-cortana/af6eb818-795d-4653-9bb3-28c3706de982
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu and Cortana Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Start Menu and Cortana Not Working: When I select the Start Menu, the menu does not appear. Same with using the Windows button on keyboard. I cannot access the Start Menu. How do I correct this? Thank you....
  4. Start, Cortana,Edge & Search Menu

in Cortana
    Start, Cortana,Edge & Search Menu: Hi, can anyone help me out with this? Start, Cortana, Edge & Search Menu are no longer working correctly after downloading Windows 10 Pro 1903 OS Build 18362.329 32 bitX64 for 86 based systems(KB 4512941) Aug 30 update. I've still got the start button & search bar but it...
  5. Start menu, cortana and edge not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, cortana and edge not working: So i have an msi laptop which has been amazing, i stopped using it for a while, decided id start it back up. I did a system refresh, removing everything so i could start fresh, set it all up and my start button doesn't work, so i reset and still nothing... i have watched so...
  6. Surface Pro 4 No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge

in Cortana
    Surface Pro 4 No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge: All of the below items don't work: .-Start menu inaccessible .- Search bar doesn't do anything .-Cortana doesn't work .-Can't access windows update "package not registered" Best Regards Terrance...
  7. Surface Pro 4 - No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Pro 4 - No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge: I have a surface pro 4 and recently did a totally clean re-installation for Windows 10.. Machine is just over 12 months old.. and all of the below items don't work: * Start menu inaccessible * Search bar doesn't do anything * Cortana doesn't work * Microsoft edge doesn't...
  8. Start Menu / Settings / Edge / Cortana - None are working...!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu / Settings / Edge / Cortana - None are working...!: Hi - I'm having trouble with windows on my Surface Pro. I'm using Windows 10 Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.165). On my toolbar the following items are unresponsive to left clicks: Start Menu Cortana Any items in the far right corner (calendar, wifi, battery, etc)...
  9. No Start Menu? No Cortana?

in Windows 10 Support
    No Start Menu? No Cortana?: Everything was working ABSOLUTELY AWESOMELY with build 10041. As of 7:00 p.m. central time 3/22/2014. Now, I log into my computer this morning and nothing Start is just not working. I can't get into settings (any way that I know) to revert back. Can someone please assist in...
  10. Start Menu and Cortana Not Opening - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu and Cortana Not Opening - Windows 10: My start menu will not work in Windows 10. Cortana/Search also doesn't work. When I click it, it does nothing. If I right click on my search bar, I see a bunch of options like "Disk Management" and "Control Panel." These are clickable, except for "Search," which does...