Windows 10: More storage being used then it shows

Discus and support More storage being used then it shows in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My computer says that 157 GB are being used for apps, but going to apps and features that doesnt add up. Not even 20 GB is being used when adding all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Leoynxe, Sep 24, 2022.

1. Leoynxe Win User

More storage being used then it shows

My computer says that 157 GB are being used for apps, but going to apps and features that doesnt add up. Not even 20 GB is being used when adding all my apps up so why does it say 157? And how do i clear this storage?

:)

Leoynxe, Sep 24, 2022
  2. locked Win User

Storage showing as double the actual SSD size

Running Windows 10 Home 20H2 (Build 19042.964) on an AMD based Windows Surface Laptop 4 with 512GB SSD.

Even though it has a 512GB SDD as confirmed by both disk management and file explorer, settings -> system -> Storage reports the size as 951GB! I have searched but struggling to discover how to get it to report the real size.

Per the image below it shows
    • 553GB used - bigger than the size of the SDD
      519GB in system & reserved

More storage being used then it shows [​IMG]

System and reserved breaks down per this screenshot

More storage being used then it shows [​IMG]

Have tried various options including disk cleanup, SFC and DSIM to get it to report the correct size but to no avail. Any suggestions on how to correct this much appreciated?

locked, Sep 24, 2022
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Sep 24, 2022
  4. topgundcp Win User

Conflicting information on my Storage Space...

From disk management, it does report the same storage and used space as from explorer.
    May I ask did you try to create a storage pool or something ? if so, you should not mess with this.

Is this disk an external disk connected via USB ? WD or Seagate branch ?

I have the feeling that this disk is formatted with GPT type using 512K emulation so Windows get confused. To verify:

1. Right click on Disk 6 ->Properties->Volumes. What does it show on partition styles ? GPT ?
    2. Download Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free, install then run. What does it show on disk 7 ? MBR ?

If step 1 shows GPT and step 2 shows MBR then definitely the disk was formatted using 512K emulation. The reason they did this so that it would be recognized by WinXP or if you connect it to a TV.

Windows Updates failed is another problem you have. First, it tried to updates from 1703 -> 1709 and failed so any subsequent updates to 1803 also failed.

topgundcp, Sep 24, 2022
Thema:

1. More storage being used then it shows - Similar Threads - More storage being

2. My Windows 11 shows using more than 300GB of storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Windows 11 shows using more than 300GB of storage: From my Windows Explorer, it seems to show Windows 11 is using more than 300GB of storage. May I know if this is possible as I've used only 133GB and now left with very little storage space left. Not forgetting to leave 30% storage free so it will not slow down my SSD...
  3. My Windows 11 shows using more than 300GB of storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Windows 11 shows using more than 300GB of storage: From my Windows Explorer, it seems to show Windows 11 is using more than 300GB of storage. May I know if this is possible as I've used only 133GB and now left with very little storage space left. Not forgetting to leave 30% storage free so it will not slow down my SSD...
  4. More storage being used then it shows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    More storage being used then it shows: My computer says that 157 GB are being used for apps, but going to apps and features that doesnt add up. Not even 20 GB is being used when adding all my apps up so why does it say 157? And how do i clear this storage?...
  5. Hard drive shows more used space than what is being used

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive shows more used space than what is being used: Hi, i have a 256GB D: drive, and it shows only 22 GB remaining. However, upon use of windirstat, or simply selecting all the folders from the root and clicking properties. The actual used space is less than what is reported in the drive itself. For example:Going to properties...
  6. Hard drive shows more used space than what is being used

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive shows more used space than what is being used: Hi, i have a 256GB D: drive, and it shows only 22 GB remaining. However, upon use of windirstat, or simply selecting all the folders from the root and clicking properties. The actual used space is less than what is reported in the drive itself. For example:Going to properties...
  7. Hard drive shows more used space than what is being used

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Storage settings windows 10 showing more storage used than there actually is

Storage settings windows 10 showing more storage used than there actually is: I keep having issues where my storage is too low in my c drive. I have cleared out some things to give me about 20 GB in my c drive. The issue lies with my apps and features showing to have 39.1 GB when I don't have nearly as much added up when I click on it. When I click on...
  9. Storage spaces showing more used than actual

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Storage spaces showing more used than actual: I am working on tearing down my storage space because it wouldn't allow me to add more drives. Currently I have removed files from it yet it still shows full capacity. SS says using 55.8 TB file explorer shows only 44.2 TB used. How do I resolve this? submitted by...
  10. Storage being used for boot

Storage being used for boot: Hi, I am running Windows 10 (Version: 10.0.18362, if that is relevant). I have an external SSD that I store files on (not system files) just documents, project files from various software, text files, pictures ... etc. The disk is (SAMSUNG MZYTE256HMHP-000 SCSI) This...