Windows 10: More than half my files on desktop disappeared randomly

Discus and support More than half my files on desktop disappeared randomly in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I was using my PC and randomly, more than half of the items on my desktop is gone (shortcuts, files, etc.). The last app I used was Mediamonkey to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/bakinamudno, Feb 4, 2021.

1. More than half my files on desktop disappeared randomly

I was using my PC and randomly, more than half of the items on my desktop is gone (shortcuts, files, etc.). The last app I used was Mediamonkey to listen to music. I re-added a few shortcuts and that they showed up. I did not update my PC and nothing changed to my knowledge. The weird part is when I clicked on Desktop via Explorer, I only see one folder and not the shortcuts that remained; I only see newly added shortcuts.

Did research and did not find any solution. All the typical settings (visibility and whatnot) are turned on. I fear that all my stuff are probably gone but maybe someone may know what happened?

submitted by /u/bakinamudno
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/bakinamudno, Feb 4, 2021
  2. Neox99 Win User

Files disappearing from desktop

Saving files to my desktop causes them to disappear.

My desktop is clear save for the Recycle Bin - and NO the file is not hiding behind it.

File Viewer shows a file ON the desktop but it's nowhere to be found - viewport is completely blank.

Any suggestions?

Neox99, Feb 4, 2021
  3. Desktop Files Disappearing on Windows 10

I am not able to do this because the folder disappeared with the files. The folder was on the desktop and those steps cannot be done on the desktop folder

Jamie Morrow, Feb 4, 2021
  4. MohanC Win User

More than half my files on desktop disappeared randomly

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Feb 4, 2021
Thema:

More than half my files on desktop disappeared randomly

1. More than half my files on desktop disappeared randomly - Similar Threads - More half files

2. Half of my apps have disappeared from my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Half of my apps have disappeared from my desktop: Hello. I found this incomplete thread from a couple of years ago, and I have the same question. There was a response, but the original poster never replied:"Yesterday, I decided to attempt creating a second user on my Windows 10 pc for a family member to use. I only installed...
  3. Half of my apps have disappeared from my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Half of my apps have disappeared from my desktop: Hello. I found this incomplete thread from a couple of years ago, and I have the same question. There was a response, but the original poster never replied:"Yesterday, I decided to attempt creating a second user on my Windows 10 pc for a family member to use. I only installed...
  4. Half of my apps have disappeared from my desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Excel Files Randomly Disappearing from Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel Files Randomly Disappearing from Desktop: Restarted this morning after an update. All Excel files located on my desktop disappeared. Only old versions of them are showing up in my document files. Glitch?...
  6. Excel Files Randomly Disappearing from Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excel Files Randomly Disappearing from Desktop: Restarted this morning after an update. All Excel files located on my desktop disappeared. Only old versions of them are showing up in my document files. Glitch?...
  7. Excel Files Randomly Disappearing from Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Half of my apps have disappeared from my desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Half of my apps have disappeared from my desktop: Yesterday, I decided to attempt creating a second user on my Windows 10 pc for a family member to use. I only installed google chrome onto the desktop, then signed out and returned to my account. I continued using it for the rest of the day, and then again this morning with...
  9. Windows 10 using more than half of my RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 using more than half of my RAM: I have Windows 10 Pro x64 version 2004 latest update at the time of writing. This is on 8GB RAM, yet Windows manages to use over half of that see screenshots I've done some googling but I couldn't find a recent answer or an answer I could find in different places....
  10. Microsoft Defender protecting more than half of Windows PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Defender protecting more than half of Windows PCs: According to Microsoft, Windows Defender has a 50% (active) share on Windows. Windows Defender’s increasing trust and popularity is an important achievement for Microsoft, especially because many people have been trained to believe that Windows Defender alone isn’t enough....