Windows 10: more than one MBR

Discus and support more than one MBR in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My OS disk boots from start on in XP. Still need that OS as my UMAX 2200 scanner is only fully supported by XP drivers. Later on bought W7 ultimate and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JosVa, Jan 29, 2021.

1. JosVa Win User

more than one MBR

My OS disk boots from start on in XP. Still need that OS as my UMAX 2200 scanner is only fully supported by XP drivers.
    Later on bought W7 ultimate and installed it as multiboot. EasyBCD does the trick. No problem. Runs both.
    Had to upgrade to W10. As W10 tells me how to run my PC I installed Linux Mint as multiboot and got a GRUB on top. No problem. Still always works fine. Multiboot Mint on top and multiboot Windows as second choice.
    Installed W10 'for you never know' and the MBR under XP accepted it as third Windows multiboot. Installed EASYBCD on W10 too to be in charge if needed.
    for years I clould choose which of the 4 OS I want to work in as every OS does some things better than all others.

Had an crash in W10. Reinstalled it from an month old image backup and used the W7 dvd to get it fully active again. About half hour work. As Linux GRUB starts first it now shows me that I have 2 MBR's on my disk! The old one on the XP partition and a new one on the W10 partition of the same hard disk. Selecting one or the other works fine. Evenso I see some differences in the EasyBCD's where one is running in W7 (XP-mbr?) and the other in W10 (W10-mbr). Both start all 3 Windows versions evenso the names are not the same as once handwritten in EasyBCD.

So ........ do I need to get this fixed or just learn to live with it?

:)

JosVa, Jan 29, 2021
  2. Smittychat., Jan 29, 2021
  3. clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

Hi,

1. You cannot convert mbr to gpt without data loss. otherwise, you can follow directions here:

FROM WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE:

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using a command line

• Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

• Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type clean.

2. I'd suggest converting your vista drive to a virtual machine, load that up on your windows 10 system and use a program like virtualbox to run it.

CoatH4nger, Jan 29, 2021
  4. more than one MBR

Windows 10 & 7th gen Intel Core processors in UEFI mode running on MBR partitions

Hi John,

MBR partition is for older laptops but there's a workaround for it. It is to convert MBR to GPT. In this case, you can use a disk partition management. Try these steps:

• Click "Start Menu" > input "diskpart" in the search box and press "Enter" > Click "Yes" to open command prompt.
    • Type "list disk" and press "Enter".
    • Type "select disk n" and press "Enter". n is the number of the disk you want to convert. (take "Disk 1" for example)
    • Input "clean" and press "Enter" to delete all partitions or volumes on the selected disk.
    • Type "convert mbr" and press "Enter" to complete the conversion from GPT to MBR format.

Inform us for any updates regarding your issue.

Regene Jos, Jan 29, 2021
Thema:

more than one MBR

1. more than one MBR - Similar Threads - more MBR

2. why did my more secure "Xfinity" option to connect disappear? I'm forced to use their open...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why did my more secure "Xfinity" option to connect disappear? I'm forced to use their open...: Why did my more secure "Xfinity" option to connect disappear? I'm forced to use their open hotspot! I would like to try updating the driver for my network adapter first, can anyone possibly send me the current driver for the Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter? Right now...
  3. why did my more secure "Xfinity" option to connect disappear? I'm forced to use their open...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why did my more secure "Xfinity" option to connect disappear? I'm forced to use their open...: Why did my more secure "Xfinity" option to connect disappear? I'm forced to use their open hotspot! I would like to try updating the driver for my network adapter first, can anyone possibly send me the current driver for the Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter? Right now...
  4. My pc has more than 48 hours resetting I’m worried the screen is black and it only shows a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc has more than 48 hours resetting I’m worried the screen is black and it only shows a...: My pc has more than 48 hours resetting I’m worried the screen is black and it only shows a Circle loading it doesn’t show the percentage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-has-more-than-48-hours-resetting-im-worried/b9e24638-68e1-4eb1-b36f-282de96fc34b
  5. My pc has more than 48 hours resetting I’m worried the screen is black and it only shows a...

My pc has more than 48 hours resetting I’m worried the screen is black and it only shows a...: My pc has more than 48 hours resetting I’m worried the screen is black and it only shows a Circle loading it doesn’t show the percentage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-has-more-than-48-hours-resetting-im-worried/b9e24638-68e1-4eb1-b36f-282de96fc34b
  6. My pc has more than 48 hours resetting I’m worried the screen is black and it only shows a...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Grant more time not working

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Grant more time not working: When "grant more screen time" button is pressed when the device is locked an error message appears saying that there was an error and it's not connected to wifi I checked and I was connected every time the device is turned on there's a windows error sound but you can't see it...
  8. Grant more time not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Grant more time not working: When "grant more screen time" button is pressed when the device is locked an error message appears saying that there was an error and it's not connected to wifi I checked and I was connected every time the device is turned on there's a windows error sound but you can't see it...
  9. Grant more time not working

10. Roblox keeps crashing more than usual and so I not only deleted the Local data for the 30th...

Roblox keeps crashing more than usual and so I not only deleted the Local data for the 30th...: After clearing assumably left over files from Roblox. I went into the search bar and typed in Roblox to find any extra files that involve it thinking these may be the culprits for my crashes. After deleting a ton of old versions a .temp files, my game goes to a pure white...