Windows 10: Most attachments no longer open through mail client program.

Discus and support Most attachments no longer open through mail client program. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm running Windows Live Mail (the 'client' program) under Windows 10 Pro. Even though it's not supported anymore, I like that mail program. Up until... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Electrojim, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Electrojim Win User

Most attachments no longer open through mail client program.

I'm running Windows Live Mail (the 'client' program) under Windows 10 Pro. Even though it's not supported anymore, I like that mail program.

Up until just quite recently, and not associated with anything that I can identify doing, I lost the ability to open some mail attachments by clicking on the attachment in the message screen. Attached photos still open just fine through Windows Photo Viewer, and iCloud attachments open through my browser, but .pdf files will not open my default PDF viewer, Word .docs will not open Word and show, and zipped files no longer start WinZip. Hyperlinks in the message text do open my browser and display, however. Furthermore, I can no longer drag these items onto my Desktop, however I can do a 'Save as' from the same menu and put them there.

Here's a typical example. Clicking on the Excel attachment does nothing, however it can be 'saved as.'

Most attachments no longer open through mail client program. [​IMG]

Any ideas what could be broken? I've looked at all the options that Windows Live Mail provides, and see nothing having to do with this.

:)

Electrojim, Oct 29, 2018
  2. Michael Gall Win User

Mail not opening attachments

Hi Len,

For us to narrow down your concern with your mail attachment, we would like to know the following:

• What email program are you referring to?
    • When you open your email attachments, are you getting any error messages? If yes, what is the exact error message?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Is this the first time you experienced the issue?

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Oct 29, 2018
  3. Brink Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Most attachments no longer open through mail client program. :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Oct 29, 2018
  4. Len Marshall Win User

Mail not opening attachments

The Microsoft MAIL program that came with the last 2 Windows 10 Refreshes.

This program is more than a disappointment, it is truly a piece of garbage.

Won't open an attachment, won't give you proper information, just an open or save box, which doesn't work.

Scroll over boxes that obscure what you are trying to see, and nobody fixes these things. There's a thread on this that is YEARS old.

My Microsoft Live Mail from 2011 ? still works and will open attachments, apparently no longer supported and the Calendar won't work.

Doesn't seem to get along with other e-mail providers either, occasionally bounces back sent mail as well.

We need a RELIABLE e-mail program that is interoperable with Windows, Android and Apple and Google, etc. Is this TOO hard?

Len Marshall, Oct 29, 2018
Thema:

1. Most attachments no longer open through mail client program. - Similar Threads - attachments longer open

2. Most attachments no longer open through mail client program.

in Browsers and Email
    Most attachments no longer open through mail client program.: I'm running Windows Live Mail (the 'client' program) under Windows 10 Pro. Even though it's not supported anymore, I like that mail program. Up until just quite recently, and not associated with anything that I can identify doing, I lost the ability to open some mail...
  3. E-mail attachments

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    E-mail attachments: Cannot attached files when sending e-mails https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/e-mail-attachments/2f2e4129-5d02-4eb9-bfc1-b905de3a15bb
  4. Windows Mail Client

Windows Mail Client: I cannot successfully change my email password in Windows 10 to match that of my email platform provider. How do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail/windows-mail-client/cdf27461-50da-4fc7-9188-943304bdacda
  5. Opening .txt attachments

Opening .txt attachments: I received an attachment in my email that is a .txt and I can not open it. What do I need to do open it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail/opening-txt-attachments/f20c1cda-38bf-4607-b7ec-2d179d6cf037
  6. Windows Mail app does not open Excel 2010 attachments

in Browsers and Email
    Windows Mail app does not open Excel 2010 attachments: If I try to open an Excel file from the Windows Mail app, Excel 2010 starts, as expected, but the file is not opened. No error message, just a new empty spreadsheet is opened. I can save the spreadsheet and open the file, which is a little awkward. Am I tainting Microsoft by...
  7. Windows Mail app does not open Excel 2010 attachments

Windows Mail app does not open Excel 2010 attachments: If I try to open an Excel file from the Windows Mail app, Excel 2010 starts, as expected, but the file is not opened. No error message, just a new empty spreadsheet is opened. I can save the spreadsheet and open the file, which is a little awkward. Am I tainting Microsoft by...
  8. Ofice Mail Attachments

in Browsers and Email
    Ofice Mail Attachments: Hello from Ireland: As I can't seem to get any help from the MS Office Crowd, I came here because I always get an answer here! In Office Mail, there seem to be no way to save pictures that are attached to an Email! The answers that I receive from the Office crowd in...
  9. Best Open Source E-mail Client for 2018?

in Browsers and Email
    Best Open Source E-mail Client for 2018?: Hi, it's January 2018 and I just did my annual reformat, and I'm a bit out of touch with the open source apps at the moment. So to get right down to it, what are the new "best" open source email clients? I'm looking for something that looks good, not too cluttered, not too...
  10. Opening image attachments

in Windows 10 Support
    Opening image attachments: Hi, when i open and image from an email, windows 10 opens the pictures folder and then the attachment. This is so annoying, does anyone have a solution to this. Thanks Becky 15632