Windows 10: Most attachments no longer open through mail client program.

Discus and support Most attachments no longer open through mail client program. in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I'm running Windows Live Mail (the 'client' program) under Windows 10 Pro. Even though it's not supported anymore, I like that mail program. Up until... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Electrojim, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Most attachments no longer open through mail client program.

I'm running Windows Live Mail (the 'client' program) under Windows 10 Pro. Even though it's not supported anymore, I like that mail program.

Up until just quite recently, and not associated with anything that I can identify doing, I lost the ability to open some mail attachments by clicking on the attachment in the message screen. Attached photos still open just fine through Windows Photo Viewer, and iCloud attachments open through my browser, but .pdf files will not open my default PDF viewer, Word .docs will not open Word and show, and zipped files no longer start WinZip. Hyperlinks in the message text do open my browser and display, however. Furthermore, I can no longer drag these items onto my Desktop, however I can do a 'Save as' from the same menu and put them there.

Here's a typical example. Clicking on the Excel attachment does nothing, however it can be 'saved as.'

Most attachments no longer open through mail client program. [​IMG]

Any ideas what could be broken? I've looked at all the options that Windows Live Mail provides, and see nothing having to do with this.

:)

Electrojim, Oct 29, 2018

2. Mail not opening attachments

Hi Len,

For us to narrow down your concern with your mail attachment, we would like to know the following:

• What email program are you referring to?
    • When you open your email attachments, are you getting any error messages? If yes, what is the exact error message?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Is this the first time you experienced the issue?

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Oct 29, 2018
  3. Brink Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Most attachments no longer open through mail client program. :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Oct 29, 2018
  4. Most attachments no longer open through mail client program.

Mail not opening attachments

The Microsoft MAIL program that came with the last 2 Windows 10 Refreshes.

This program is more than a disappointment, it is truly a piece of garbage.

Won't open an attachment, won't give you proper information, just an open or save box, which doesn't work.

Scroll over boxes that obscure what you are trying to see, and nobody fixes these things. There's a thread on this that is YEARS old.

My Microsoft Live Mail from 2011 ? still works and will open attachments, apparently no longer supported and the Calendar won't work.

Doesn't seem to get along with other e-mail providers either, occasionally bounces back sent mail as well.

We need a RELIABLE e-mail program that is interoperable with Windows, Android and Apple and Google, etc. Is this TOO hard?

Len Marshall, Oct 29, 2018
Thema:

Most attachments no longer open through mail client program.

1. Most attachments no longer open through mail client program. - Similar Threads - attachments longer open

2. Mail client

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mail client: After windows10 update on 4 aug 2020 I am getting the following message on start up: Either their is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the message request. Please run outlook and set as default client. I went to outlook2019, file, general,...
  3. Mail attachments

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mail attachments: When trying to open catalogue attachment to auction mail received, it won't open and an icon appears which is a YELLOW SQUARE WITH MONKEY HEAD INSIDE and click1x1. What is this. Seems to be only happening since MICROSOFT EDGE format change recently....
  4. Attachments not showing on mail accessed through Microsoft Mail on Sufrace Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Attachments not showing on mail accessed through Microsoft Mail on Sufrace Pro: I operate my Gmail through Microsoft mail on a surface pro . My attachments are not showing up in mail when I open through the Microsoft mail but can be seen when I access Gmail through Google Gmail Any help please Moved from: Outlook / Windows 10 ? Microsoft 365 Family...
  5. No Attachment in mail

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No Attachment in mail: I tried to send an Email with a picture attached. the email comes but the attachment is not visible. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-attachment-in-mail/2ee517d7-6bd3-48d0-92cc-7e47bc8b6ab9
  6. Cannot open attachments in Mail for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot open attachments in Mail for Windows 10: Hello! I cannot open any attachments in my Outlook email accounts from my Windows 10 mail app. It was working fine until yesterday. It won't even open if I hit Ctrl and click on the attachment. Suggestions? Thanks!...
  7. Most Programs dont open/respond

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Most Programs dont open/respond: Hello , I've been having this problem for a while now , it started when I was using an 8.1 Version of windows and then after I upgraded to 10 , it started happenning again after a bit, programs would simply not open in the foreground , programs like : Steam, Google Chrome ,...
  8. TWinui is hindering the opening of attachments to e-mails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    TWinui is hindering the opening of attachments to e-mails: The settings on my pc have changed so that when I want to open a pdf document in my pdf program instead it reads TWinUI and I am directed to get it open in Microsoft Edge. This I absolutely do not want as that program is very cumbersome. How can i get my settings changed so...
  9. Attachments do not come through Windows Mail

in Windows 10 Customization
    Attachments do not come through Windows Mail: I am now using a new computer using Windows 10 Mail. The computer I just stopped using (5 years old) did receive and show all email attachments in Windows 10 Mail. How do I get the attachments?...
  10. Most attachments no longer open through mail client program.

in Windows 10 Support
    Most attachments no longer open through mail client program.: I'm running Windows Live Mail (the 'client' program) under Windows 10 Pro. Even though it's not supported anymore, I like that mail program. Up until just quite recently, and not associated with anything that I can identify doing, I lost the ability to open some mail...