Windows 10: Most painless way to reinstall win 10

Discus and support Most painless way to reinstall win 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For background visit 1903 installation defective I'm seriously considering reinstalling Win 10 1903 from scratch, given the quirks I've encountered so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, Jun 16, 2019.

1. tcebob Win User

Most painless way to reinstall win 10

For background visit 1903 installation defective

I'm seriously considering reinstalling Win 10 1903 from scratch, given the quirks I've encountered so far. I keep all program info and startups as well as most standard directories in a single large directory called "All". This is incrementally backed up weekly to an external hard disk and I keep monthly copies for a year or so. But I can't back up the Program Files directories and it wouldn't help if I did. I also keep weekly Macrium recovery on a USB flash drive.

Still, it's a daunting project to reinstall everything and bring the system to the way it is now. So my question is, what can I do to make this as easy as possible?

:)

tcebob, Jun 16, 2019
  2. gasolin Win User

Most painless way to reinstall windows 10?

Is there and easy way of reinstalling windows 10 with having to install most of the apps and adjust settings.

I keep getting DistributedCom 10016 error, bsod when gaming or just my gaming crashing,stopping

gasolin, Jun 16, 2019
  3. Kursah Win User

It depends on the junk accumulated honestly, but there are various methods. You can always remove programs, delete download folder, media locations, etc. As some have suggested, keeping some items on a separate internal storage drive is an option as well. Depends on what you have, what your budget is and how you want to handle your system and data.

The method @RejZoR suggests is sound and a method I've used dozens if not hundreds of time with great success in the field. In many cases though the goal is to keep user data intact, and to repair the OS. In place upgrade as it is called is also only doable in that method if you can boot to desktop, if you can't, it is time for some more advanced options or a format & reinstall.

With Windows 8 and 10 there are refresh and reset options that can be leveraged as well. Hold Shift and click Restart to reboot your system, this will get you into the advanced boot menu, which you'll need to choose advanced options (I forget ATM what it is called) and choose one of a couple items, refresh or reset.

Refresh is essentially In Place Upgrade but a little more aggressive as it wipes the Windows Apps and you may need to reinstall programs. Reset is like an OS reinstall, wipes user data, wipes profiles, registry, performs a install from the system image. Often times I'll do this and bypass using a USB key on a system. Though there are instances where these options will not work if a system has a level of corruption that has not been repaired/resolved. Check the OS Repair link in my sig for more info if ya need.

*Toast :toast:

Kursah, Jun 16, 2019
  4. gasolin Win User

Why Gdallsk ?

It's just creators fall (i think) that has given me some problems.

Making a dvd or usb drive once every year isn't that hard, find latest iso burn it, go out and make a cup of coffee og take a bath and when your done latest windows 10 64 iso is on a usb drive or dvd and you can reinstall windows 10 64 bit in about 10 min

gasolin, Jun 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Most painless way to reinstall win 10 - Similar Threads - painless reinstall

2. yesterday my xbox app on pc wasn't working so i tried to uninstall it and reinstall it, but...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    yesterday my xbox app on pc wasn't working so i tried to uninstall it and reinstall it, but...: everything is stuck on pending https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/yesterday-my-xbox-app-on-pc-wasnt-working-so-i/4fa790cc-3195-44eb-9536-9f31bddc21ac
  3. yesterday my xbox app on pc wasn't working so i tried to uninstall it and reinstall it, but...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    yesterday my xbox app on pc wasn't working so i tried to uninstall it and reinstall it, but...: everything is stuck on pending https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/yesterday-my-xbox-app-on-pc-wasnt-working-so-i/4fa790cc-3195-44eb-9536-9f31bddc21ac
  4. yesterday my xbox app on pc wasn't working so i tried to uninstall it and reinstall it, but...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Can't reinstall windows 10 i bought to my reset computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't reinstall windows 10 i bought to my reset computer: I ordered windows 10 in August of 2021 and installed it on my computer from the email link they sent me. I recently had my computer mess up so bad out of the blue, that I had to reset it completely. I now need to reinstall the windows 10 but when I try to used the file from...
  6. Can't reinstall windows 10 i bought to my reset computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't reinstall windows 10 i bought to my reset computer: I ordered windows 10 in August of 2021 and installed it on my computer from the email link they sent me. I recently had my computer mess up so bad out of the blue, that I had to reset it completely. I now need to reinstall the windows 10 but when I try to used the file from...
  7. How to reinstall all apps the most painless way?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to reinstall all apps the most painless way?: I will have to reinstall Win10 since I am changing the MOBO and CPU. However, I have a lot of apps installed. Reinstalling them painfully one after another will take me a whole day. Then, installing themes, backgrounds, desktop restoring to a setup I prefer, custom tuning......
  8. Most painless way to reinstall win 10

Most painless way to reinstall win 10: For background visit 1903 installation defective I'm seriously considering reinstalling Win 10 1903 from scratch, given the quirks I've encountered so far. I keep all program info and startups as well as most standard directories in a single large directory called "All"....
  9. 1809 - Oh my, how quick & painless!!

1809 - Oh my, how quick & painless!!: Geeez, how sweet it is.... complete, start to up & running w/ 1809 in no more than 1 hr 15 mins. Hums along ever so nicely, too. Great to have all 'we' have had in our Insider Builds! It's great for End Users but, from an IT Pro's point of view, compared to "back in the...
  10. Painless Windows 10 Backup Solution?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Painless Windows 10 Backup Solution?: Doing a search on Win 10 backup and I get tons of different programs suggested, paid and free. Then each has this option and that option, which makes my head hurt. All I want to do is to recover my COMPLETE computer system in the event of something going wonky. Issues...