Windows 10: Most stock Store apps displayed as "ms-resource:AppName" in search results

Discus and support Most stock Store apps displayed as "ms-resource:AppName" in search results in Cortana to solve the problem; For many months now, I noticed that the standard windows Calculator app, which I use often, no longer was displayed as "Calculator" in the search... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Anamon, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Anamon Win User

Most stock Store apps displayed as "ms-resource:AppName" in search results

For many months now, I noticed that the standard windows Calculator app, which I use often, no longer was displayed as "Calculator" in the search results, but as "ms-resource:AppName". It didn't bother me too much since I could still type "calc" or rather, the German equivalent "rech" to have it bring up the Calculator shortcut, even though the name was not displayed.

However, since installing the May 2020 feature update, this has changed, and typing "calc"/"rech" into search no longer brings up the calculator shortcut. I figured out that I can now only find the Calculator anymore by actually searching for the displayed name, e.g. by typing "AppName". The search results will then show me a list of suggestions, and it seems that most stock Windows apps at this point are displayed as either "ms-resource:AppName" or "ms-resource:AppName/Text", instead of by their actual names. This includes Alarms & Clock, Calculator, Calendar, Voice Recorder, and others; all third-party apps and a few remaining stock apps seem fine. The start menu shortcuts of these applications also show their correct name, it's only the search results that are affected.

Most stock Store apps displayed as "ms-resource:AppName" in search results de13a0a6-0378-43d2-89f8-049d98e5b435?upload=true.png

As you can see, it's still possible to distinguish what app each result refers to by looking at the icon. But, needless to say, this is a very cumbersome way of starting these apps.

Here are a few things I already tried:

• Reboot the system
    • Check for new updates I'm all up-to-date
    • Update the affected apps through Windows Store
    • Reset the affected apps
    • Uninstall and reinstall the affected apps
    • Run the Microsoft Store troubleshooter – it didn't do anything
    • Use an ugly way of forcing Windows to rebuild the Start Menu database

Out of these, only the last one had any effect at all: it fixed the name for the Calendar app, which now is displayed as "Calendar" again, instead of "ms-resource:AppName". However, subsequently performing that step repeatedly doesn't fix the display names of any other apps; Calendar is the only one I could get fixed.

How can I get my apps to display properly again?

:)

Anamon, Jun 19, 2020

2. MS Store apps icons are missing in search results

I get the same issue as described here App icons missing in start menu search results

To reproduce it I

1. Open Start menu
    2. Type an app name (UWP app only)
    3. Look at the search results

Consistently, UWP apps have no icons in the search results while W32 or x64 apps do.

I have already attempted to :

- Flush icon cache (as described in the linked post above)

- Repair app store

- SFC /Scannow

- DISM /Repairhealth

- Restore/Reset individual apps

And none of them worked.

So Please, do not claim this question if you have not experienced this and fixed it yourself.

Thank you very much

Chris Giroux Esq., Jun 19, 2020
  3. Search Results

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Please do let us know where exactly are you searching for the photos.

Are you searching on Windows search bar from desktop or Windows Explorer or Photo app?

If you are searching on Photo app try the below,

Step 1: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Follow the below steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar on the Taskbar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Windows Store Apps.
    • Select “Advance” and click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

If you are searching on Windows Explorer or Search box try the below,

Step 2: Run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks
    to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the
      Search box from the desktop.
    • Select the Troubleshooting option.
    • Select View All option and select the
      Search and Indexing.
    • Click on Next to perform the
      Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 19, 2020
  4. AndreTen Win User

View Poll Results: Do you use Edge as your primary browser??

I found suggestion on MS forums that could work. Did you tried this?

AndreTen, Jun 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Most stock Store apps displayed as "ms-resource:AppName" in search results - Similar Threads - stock Store apps

2. Windows Search results are mostly invisible

in Cortana
    Windows Search results are mostly invisible: I wasn't able to find any other forum or blog posts that had this exact same problem, and none of their solutions applied to my issue. It's not a major issue but it's pretty annoying to have to deal with having invisible search results and an invisible tab for switching...
  3. ms resource display name bug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ms resource display name bug: I got ms resource display name app bug in my laptop after upgrade windows 10 to 11. How to remove ms resource display name from my laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-resource-display-name-bug/91e90a2b-1841-4cb0-9019-3b99aaa82c40
  4. ms-resource display name -...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ms-resource display name -...: hey i have this issue i have tried all and i mean all available fixes for this can seem to fix itWindows is upgraded from 10 to 11What Doesn't work...
  5. ms-resource display name -...

ms-resource display name -...: hey i have this issue i have tried all and i mean all available fixes for this can seem to fix itWindows is upgraded from 10 to 11What Doesn't work...
  6. Mail App Search not finding most results

Mail App Search not finding most results: This thread described my problem but was locked 3 years ago. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail-winpc/windows-10-mail-app-search-function-not-finding/1dc6c199-54eb-4b74-8582-24ac990d6a11 I believe that a working search is the...
  7. Most apps appear as ms-resource:appname[insert appname here] and Microsoft Store won’t Launch

Most apps appear as ms-resource:appname[insert appname here] and Microsoft Store won’t Launch: A little question. I was doing some software modding “Halo MCC Microsoft Store edition”, and decided to stop and back out, and when backing out I had to restart and now the basic stock apps appear as ms-resource:appname{insert name here} None of the apps load, including the...
  8. Most stock Store apps displayed as "ms-resource:AppName" in start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Most stock Store apps displayed as "ms-resource:AppName" in start menu: For many months now, I noticed that the standard windows Calculator app, which I use often, no longer was displayed as "Calculator" in the start menu, but as "ms-resource:AppName". It didn't bother me too much since I could still type "calc" or rather, the German equivalent...
  9. MS Store apps icons are missing in search results

in Cortana
    MS Store apps icons are missing in search results: I get the same issue as described here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-icons-missing-in-start-menu-search-results/3a8ce022-1a91-4041-b953-becb0619932d To reproduce it I Open Start menu Type an app name (UWP app only) Look at the search results...
  10. Microsoft Store Search displaying incorrect results

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store Search displaying incorrect results: Hello All, When I search for an app in the Microsoft Store, incorrect results are displayed. For example, from the Home tab if I search for iTunes, the results displayed are only for Books and Movies, even though the Type dropdown shows "All Types". Opening the Store app...