Windows 10: "Most Used" function only shows Apps, not Programs

Discus and support "Most Used" function only shows Apps, not Programs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Perhaps clearing the Start menu's history will fix it? To do so: Open PC Settings, click Personalization, click Start, then slide the "Show most used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jaxel, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Jaxel Win User

"Most Used" function only shows Apps, not Programs

Nope. Still only shows metro apps for me.

Jaxel, Aug 1, 2015
  2. gator2013 Win User

I agree, some sort of bug.

Some items I have never used show in the Most Used list yet whereas other items I have used frequently never show in the list. I have also tried every possible solution here and elsewhere.

gator2013, Aug 1, 2015
  3. wjbodin3 Win User
    For me it seems to depend on where the program was started from shortcut on desktop will not always shows, but if I start from all programs more likely it does.

wjbodin3, Aug 31, 2015
  4. linw Win User

Strange. All six here are conventional programs.

5. ooeh Win User
    I have this problem, too. (Surface 3 with Windows 10 Home with latest updates applied)

The start menu "Most used" list does not show the programs that I use the most. The programs that I use regularly (like Chrome, NP++, Gimp) do not show up in that "Most used" list. Instead, that "Most used" list includes apps like "Calculator", "Alarms & Clock", and "Paint" which are apps that I have actually NEVER used!

So, in my experience, the "Most used" list in the Windows 10 start menu is very broken.

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 3, 2015
  7. ooeh Win User
    Yes, thanks, I am aware of that. Pinning to start is not the problem.

I would prefer if the "Most used" applications list worked properly. Why? Well, because, using my keyboard, I like to hit the Windows key to launch the start menu, then use the arrow keys to find the program I want to start.. This, in my experience, is the fastest way to launch a program using the keyboard (and this method works great in Windows 7 and earlier). But, in Windows 10, because the left side of the start menu is basically useless to me, I have to spend extra time navigating with my arrow keys to the right side of the start menu. (Sorry, I'm sure that sounds petty! I admit: I will survive! Maybe I'll even find more efficient ways to launch my favourite programs?)

It's also discomforting to see a feature fail so badly: listing the "Most used" programs is not a very complicated feature. If that is failing, what else is failing? What kind of house of cards are we living in?! *Smile

8. me10lee83 Win User

I'm having issues too. I removed all the "getting started" type apps and it showed a few other random things but never seems to update. Most specifically, I open Word (from All Apps on the start menu) several times a week but it never shows up.

I prefer the Most Used over pinned apps because the thing I miss most about Win 7 is being able to mouse over a most used app, and see the recent files for that app. I want to be able to open recent Word docs, PDFs, Excel files, etc just by mousing over the correct application on the start menu.Sem

me10lee83, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. "Most Used" function only shows Apps, not Programs - Similar Threads - Used function shows

2. How to enable Show most used apps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to enable Show most used apps?: I want to enable "Show most used apps" for Windows 11 but it seems disabled. How can I enable this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-show-most-used-apps/c2bb9dda-0810-41e6-b828-4e59c4ca8257
  3. How to enable Show most used apps?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to enable Show most used apps?: I want to enable "Show most used apps" for Windows 11 but it seems disabled. How can I enable this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-show-most-used-apps/c2bb9dda-0810-41e6-b828-4e59c4ca8257
  4. "Show most used apps" setting is greyed out

"Show most used apps" setting is greyed out: It has been my practice to have the setting "Show most used apps" always turned on. Today my most used apps disappeared from my start menu, so I checked the setting at Settings>Personalization> Start and found that "Show most used apps" was both turned off, and also greyed...
  5. "Show most used apps" setting is greyed out

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Show most used apps" setting is greyed out: It has been my practice to have the setting "Show most used apps" always turned on. Today my most used apps disappeared from my start menu, so I checked the setting at Settings>Personalization> Start and found that "Show most used apps" was both turned off, and also greyed...
  6. "Show most used apps" setting is greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Most useful app for you

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Most useful app for you: What is the most useful application you use on your desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/most-useful-app-for-you/358e8557-5acc-4e86-b393-55b563e0d413
  8. "Show most used apps" is disabled and it affects the "Run" history?

in Windows 10 Support
    "Show most used apps" is disabled and it affects the "Run" history?: The Run history is not retained a search led me to a post which informed that "Show most used apps" in Settings\Personalization should be enabled. In my case, this slider is greyed out and is not accessible. 128069
  9. Most Used Apps

Most Used Apps: The other day i opened the start menu and clicked on the left side under most used apps hiding programs from the list, now nothing appears in that list and i have the left side empty. how to set again the most used apps if i have ON the option in settings but still there isnt...
  10. most used apps icons

in Windows 10 Support
    most used apps icons: Don't know what you call the screen that shows up when you do a left click on the Windows icon on the main screen and a large box opens up with a bunch of little boxes of apps/programs that I have set up and use for quick access. Anyway, the programs and the names are there...