Windows 10: Most windows executable commands not recognized by CMD and PowerShell.

Discus and support Most windows executable commands not recognized by CMD and PowerShell. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Out of nowhere commands which involve executables like explorer.exe, msedge.exe, mspaint.exe, where, etc. are not working in command prompt or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by herbal_rage, May 15, 2022.

1. Most windows executable commands not recognized by CMD and PowerShell.

Out of nowhere commands which involve executables like explorer.exe, msedge.exe, mspaint.exe, where, etc. are not working in command prompt or PowerShell. The output of the command prompt seem to be quite simple: ```C:\Users\grass>where 'where' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. C:\Users\grass>explorer 'explorer' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.```I'm still able to call applications in the path, like: idea, code, adb, gcc, etc.Some things also stopped working, and it looks relevant to

:)

herbal_rage, May 15, 2022
  2. wiens Win User

Not all command lines of CMD are working in Powershell

In build 14971.1000 Microsoft has changed Command prompt with Powershell in the right-click context Startmenu, see screenshot below.

Batch files (.bat or .cmd) will also not run properly in Powershell because not all command lines of HELP are working in the Powershell. How do we run batch (.bat) files with command lines that aren't supported in it.

Consider you have a file "test.bat" on the root of the D: dirve. You can't run in it Powershell by entering "test.bat" on the D: drive. The term will not be recognized. You have to write "D:\test.bat" to run it in Powershell. That is strange behaviour. In
    the old CMD you didn't had to add "D:\" path in the line to run it in the opened directory.

I know CMD can still be executed in the Startmenu of build 14971.1000, but it looks they are changing this behaviour. It is now hidden from the contextmenu by default.

For those who prefer to use Command Prompt, you can opt out of the WIN + X change by opening Settings > Personalization > Taskbar, and turning “Replace Command Prompt with Windows PowerShell in the menu when I right-click the Start button or press Windows
    key+X” to “Off”.

wiens, May 15, 2022
  3. Steven L Win User
    Using PowerShell via MMC to execute admin level CMD commands

I'm new to PowerShell. I want to do something like this on shutdown before turning off the computer. I plan to have Windows MMC/Local Group Policy Editor do it with a PowerShell script.

Basically, after triggering the shutdown or reboot event it should:

1. Open CMD as admin (and automatically select Yes at UAC?).
    2. Execute SOME COMMAND (there will be many).
    3. Close CMD and then allow Windows 10 to shutdown/reboot.

Now, I know how to get MMC to add a PowerShell script to execute before the shutdown command is completed. I just need to know the syntax on how to do the above three steps.

To be clear though:

My main point is to be able to open CMD as admin, type in a command and then exit CMD. PowerShell does not normally execute a few particular commands as admin correctly, but CMD does. In that way, PowerShell itself does not need admin privileges, just the temporary run CMD.

I dont' mind clicking YES on a UAC, when needed, because I figure if it comes down to it, I can probably just used sendkeys {TAB}{TAB}{ENTER} or something. What I can't seem to find on the interwebs is how to start a PowerShell script so that one can save it. I'm seeing a lot on sendkeys in syntax though. In bash in Linux, it's simple: #!/bin/bash and presto insta-bash, but Windows seems bass-ackwards in this regard.

If there is a better way to do this than, CMD > Echo "stuff" > exit CMD, please let me know. I know what stuff I want to type in each Echo "stuff" (or rather, sendkeys, if I end up using that), I just don't know how to open CMD as admin.

Thanks.

Steven L, May 15, 2022
  4. Dutch2 Win User

Most windows executable commands not recognized by CMD and PowerShell.

Can not execute/run FCAT-VR in powershell or CMD

If typing that I did get a message “the server service is not started.”

So I did enable server in the Windows services and now after typing “net session” recieving the message “There are no entries in the list”

Dutch2, May 15, 2022
Thema:

Most windows executable commands not recognized by CMD and PowerShell.

1. Most windows executable commands not recognized by CMD and PowerShell. - Similar Threads - executable commands recognized

2. CMD command doesn't work on PowerShell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CMD command doesn't work on PowerShell: I'm trying to call 'cmd' inside Windows PowerShell console in order to get to work immediately with Command Prompt mode, but I got this message instead:I know I can use Command Prompt outside of PowerShell, but this is a special case.Any suggestions about how can I revert...
  3. CMD command doesn't work on PowerShell

in Windows 10 Customization
    CMD command doesn't work on PowerShell: I'm trying to call 'cmd' inside Windows PowerShell console in order to get to work immediately with Command Prompt mode, but I got this message instead:I know I can use Command Prompt outside of PowerShell, but this is a special case.Any suggestions about how can I revert...
  4. Most windows executable commands not recognized by CMD and PowerShell.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Most windows executable commands not recognized by CMD and PowerShell.: Out of nowhere commands which involve executables like explorer.exe, msedge.exe, mspaint.exe, where, etc. are not working in command prompt or PowerShell. The output of the command prompt seem to be quite simple: ```C:\Users\grass>where 'where' is not recognized as an...
  5. Executing "net user" command in cmd or powershell causes the window to close. No idea how...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Executing "net user" command in cmd or powershell causes the window to close. No idea how...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Patftw89 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mkqd6w/executing_net_user_command_in_cmd_or_powershell/
  6. Powershell reopens in new window on executing a command.

Powershell reopens in new window on executing a command.: Whenever I execute the command "npm", the current powershell window closes and a new one reopens with "npm" in its title bar as long as the process initiated by the command is in execution. This annoys me a lot coz this isn't the case with just npm but every other command...
  7. Cmd doesn't recognize 'Powershell' as an command in newer Windows version (same with...

Cmd doesn't recognize 'Powershell' as an command in newer Windows version (same with...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/i_hate_patrice [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e24hcj/cmd_doesnt_recognize_powershell_as_an_command_in/
  8. 10 CMD commands that can be executed with PowerShell

in Windows 10 News
    10 CMD commands that can be executed with PowerShell: [ATTACH] PowerShell is Microsoft’s own alternative to their own Command Prompt. Earlier, Microsoft announced that they will be open sourcing PowerShell and will be bringing it to recent versions and different Linux flavors like Ubuntu, CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux,...
  9. Most useful CMD Commands for IT Technicians

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Most useful CMD Commands for IT Technicians: I would like to learn the most useful CMD/Powershell commands to help me diagnose problems, can anyone recommend me any books or links to pdf that I could print and use Thanks 122140
  10. Execute Powershell command on remote computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Execute Powershell command on remote computer: Hello, I would like to execute a PowerShell command on a remote computer. The command is the following: Invoke-Command -ComputerName 10.40.27.174 -ScriptBlock { Get-ChildItem C:\ } -credential User I get the following error: [10.40.27.174] La connexion au serveur...