Windows 10: Motherboard and CPU upgrade after failure Win10 now says I do not have a valid license key...

Discus and support Motherboard and CPU upgrade after failure Win10 now says I do not have a valid license key... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, My motherboard went and I upgraded the CPU during it. I now have a watermark to "Activate Windows". When that is attempted, I receive error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Texez, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Texez Win User

Motherboard and CPU upgrade after failure Win10 now says I do not have a valid license key...

Hello,

My motherboard went and I upgraded the CPU during it. I now have a watermark to "Activate Windows". When that is attempted, I receive error code 0x803F7001 and troubleshooting is unable to locate my device.

What can be done about this?

:)

Texez, Mar 6, 2019

2. windows 10 says it can't validate product key

When I upgraded my windows 7 with win10, it says it cant validate my product key? Why? Can you give me the steps to follow to validate it?

aphrodite.soft, Mar 6, 2019
  3. Licensing confusion after upgrading motherboard and CPU

I recently upgraded the motherboard and CPU in an OEM desktop. This OEM originally came with Windows 8.1, and was upgraded to Windows 10 upon its release last July.

I found out after my hardware purchase that, since I had an OEM copy of Windows, I would have to purchase a new license in order to reinstall Windows 10. On a whim, however, since I had previously obtained a copy of my OEM license key from the original motherboard's
    BIOS, I tried entering it in to validate Windows. Surprisingly, it worked.

My question is, did I somehow have a retail copy of Windows all along, which would have allowed me to transfer the license to a different PC, or am I in violation of Microsoft's EULA. If so, what should I do?

thetortuga747, Mar 6, 2019
  4. Xylee Del Win User

Motherboard and CPU upgrade after failure Win10 now says I do not have a valid license key...

Windows 10 Pro's license completely glitched out after changing motherboard and CPU

We appreciate your reply. For us to know more about the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Did you manage to deactivate Windows 10 Pro first before replacing your motherboard?
    • Do you still have the written copy of your product key?
    • Are you using the same hard disk where your Windows 10 Pro product key has been activated? If not, where is this hard disk?
    • Did you replace your hard disk along with your motherboard and CPU?
    • What is the edition of Windows activated on your computer? To know, press Windows + S. Type About, and click it.

Meanwhile, we recommend that you deactivate and uninstall your Windows 10 Pro license from your old motherboard and reinstall it back on your machine using the steps below:

Step 1: Check your your Windows 10 Pro product key using Windows Powershell or Command prompt. Follow the steps below and note down your product key:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click Command Prompt (admin).
    • Enter the following command: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
      and press Enter:
    • The product key will be revealed, copy the product key.

Step 2: Deactivate and uninstall the Windows 10 Pro Product Key from the old motherboard since it has your license. Follow the steps below:

• To know the Activation ID of your Windows installation. Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr.vbs /dlv and press Enter. This will display the detailed license information for the installed operating system.
    • A window will open up and will give you details about your Windows licensing and activation status. Look for
      Activation ID and note it down.
    • On the same command prompt window, type in slmgr /upk <your Activation ID> and press
      Enter. This uninstalls the product key of the current Windows edition. After a restart, the system will be in an Unlicensed state unless a new product key is installed.

Step 3: Activate your Windows 10 Pro to your machine after uninstalling it due to a hardware change, follow the steps below:

• Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr /ipk <Windows Product Key> and press Enter.
    • If the key is valid and applicable, the key is installed. If a key is already installed, it is silently replaced. If the key is invalid, an error is returned.
    • Open your Control Panel you will see Windows is activated message.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Mar 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Motherboard and CPU upgrade after failure Win10 now says I do not have a valid license key... - Similar Threads - Motherboard CPU upgrade

2. have valid Win10 Pro license, can't upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    have valid Win10 Pro license, can't upgrade: I bought Windows 10 Home back in 2016 via Amazon digital download. I still have the product key. In November '22, I paid $99 to upgrade to Win10 Pro via the Microsoft Store. Everything was going fine until this week. I've upgraded my PC with new hardware mobo, RAM, etc and...
  3. have valid Win10 Pro license, can't upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    have valid Win10 Pro license, can't upgrade: I bought Windows 10 Home back in 2016 via Amazon digital download. I still have the product key. In November '22, I paid $99 to upgrade to Win10 Pro via the Microsoft Store. Everything was going fine until this week. I've upgraded my PC with new hardware mobo, RAM, etc and...
  4. have valid Win10 Pro license, can't upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. BSOD after motherboard and CPU upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after motherboard and CPU upgrade: Hello everyone,I had few issues with my old pc my supply broke the motherboard and cpu, also the power supply got fixed. But i had to change mbd and cpuOld system:i7 6700kNoctua NHD14asus z170a16g ram 2400mhzssd samsung evo 840Segotep 900gNew system:Ryzen 5600Noctua...
  6. BSOD after motherboard and CPU upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after motherboard and CPU upgrade: Hello everyone,I had few issues with my old pc my supply broke the motherboard and cpu, also the power supply got fixed. But i had to change mbd and cpuOld system:i7 6700kNoctua NHD14asus z170a16g ram 2400mhzssd samsung evo 840Segotep 900gNew system:Ryzen 5600Noctua...
  7. BSOD after CPU and motherboard upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after CPU and motherboard upgrade: I just finished upgrading my pc from a b450-f gaming and ryzen 5 2600 to a b550-f gaming and ryzen 5 5600x. Whenever I try to boot, though, I keep getting “system thread exception not handled.” Any help would be really appreciated!...
  8. BSOD after CPU and motherboard upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD after CPU and motherboard upgrade: I just finished upgrading my pc from a b450-f gaming and ryzen 5 2600 to a b550-f gaming and ryzen 5 5600x. Whenever I try to boot, though, I keep getting “system thread exception not handled.” Any help would be really appreciated!...
  9. Will Win10 boot normally after upgrading to new Motherboard and CPU?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will Win10 boot normally after upgrading to new Motherboard and CPU?: I want to be as prepared as possible before I swap my Motherboard and CPU. Will Windows 10 boot like normal after I install the new parts and configure the BIOS? Will I have to make a fresh Windows installation? I've looked around a bit before coming to ask, and I found a...
  10. If I upgrade my motherboard/CPU will my digital license be valid?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    If I upgrade my motherboard/CPU will my digital license be valid?: Just as the title states, I'm going to upgrade my CPU/Motherboard. I'm wondering if my windows 10 pro digital license will be able to be transferred over? In case it matters, but I'm sure it doesn't, it will be from a core2quad to an i5 8th gen, I know MS had rules/issues...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 oem license after motherboard upgrade