Windows 10: Motherboard change with retail version of windows

Discus and support Motherboard change with retail version of windows in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi all, I am looking at upgrading my pc with a new motherboard,cpu,graphics card,ect. What I need to know is do I need to purchase a new copy of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JimBH_485, Apr 11, 2020.

1. JimBH_485 Win User

Motherboard change with retail version of windows

Hi all,

I am looking at upgrading my pc with a new motherboard,cpu,graphics card,ect. What I need to know is do I need to purchase a new copy of windows 10.

I originally purchased a copy of windows 8.1 and then received the free digital upgrade to 10 but I cannot find the original disc,box or product key to find out if it was oem or retail version,so I searched in my command box and was told it was "retail channel".So does this mean that i can reativate it on my new pc.

Thanks

:)

JimBH_485, Apr 11, 2020

2. Purchased Windows 10 pro retail version and want to move it to a new motherboard

Yes, a retail purchased license includes unlimited transfer rights. Its a full version and you can move to new motherboard without hindrance. Learn more:

Andre Da Costa, Apr 11, 2020
  3. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, Apr 11, 2020
  4. Motherboard change with retail version of windows

Changing out failing retail motherboard

I have Asus M5a*** some of the 3.0 usb have failed no longer operating I am using W10 pro full version, I am changing it to Asus Tuf 990Fx, I have bought a retail windows 10 pro full version from microcenter. Would I be losing my current licence just because
    I change my motherboard, not changing CPU yet, I have change everything else without any problems. Anyone can help please. Thank you in advance..

rocksstuff, Apr 11, 2020
Thema:

Motherboard change with retail version of windows

1. Motherboard change with retail version of windows - Similar Threads - Motherboard change retail

2. Retail copy of Windows 11 is tie to Motherboard?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Retail copy of Windows 11 is tie to Motherboard?: I recently acquired a computer without a pre-installed operating system. I subsequently purchased a legal retail copy of Windows 11, complete with a valid serial number.Due to a technical issue, I entrusted the computer to a computer repair service for diagnosis and...
  3. Windows 10 pro retail won't activate after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 pro retail won't activate after motherboard change: Hi,I bought a Windows 10 pro retail digital copy and it won't activate after changing to a new motherboard. The retailer has since gone out of business. I phoned MS and they said that my product key whilst not counterfeit had expired or had limited activations. This is not...
  4. Windows 10 pro retail won't activate after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 pro retail won't activate after motherboard change: Hi,I bought a Windows 10 pro retail digital copy and it won't activate after changing to a new motherboard. The retailer has since gone out of business. I phoned MS and they said that my product key whilst not counterfeit had expired or had limited activations. This is not...
  5. Windows 10 pro retail won't activate after motherboard change

6. The retail version of Windows 11

The retail version of Windows 11: Hi. Please tell me when will the retail version of Windows 11 start selling in the Microsoft Store? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-retail-version-of-windows-11/37ff271a-b6ef-416f-a158-38350c12bde8
  7. Cannot transfer Windows 10 "Retail" license after motherboard change.

Cannot transfer Windows 10 "Retail" license after motherboard change.: Hi. I had a "retail" Windows 7 license, had been using it for 7+ years. Years ago I converted it into Windows 10 via a free upgrade. My Microsoft account is linked with this free Windows 10 account. I do not have any product code or license code. DVD cover is lost, gone....
  8. Windows 10 Retail Version

Windows 10 Retail Version: Can I Install Windows 10 Retail Version(Purchased) in multiple PC at a time? If so, how many times can I do that and how to install that product to another laptop with the same product key?...
  9. Retail version or OEM version

in Windows 10 Support
    Retail version or OEM version: Hi Friends, I am thinking of building a new PC on my own. I am a home user only. I will buy all the hardware from a local shop ie motherboard, cpu, ram, hdd etc and then I would like to install a genuine/legal version of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on it. But should I buy OEM...
  10. windows 10 retail version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 retail version: hi, please can some one help me i have a retail copy of windows 10 that i purchased at a pc store its still unopened . the question i have is its been on my shelf about a year, will i still be able to use it at some point? thank you, *Smile 94340