Windows 10: motherboard changed and activation failedafter troubleshooting

Discus and support motherboard changed and activation failedafter troubleshooting in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; free upgraded from WIN7. Changed motherboard today and "unable to activate this device" as quote after troubleshooting. i'm guessing the motherboard's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MickLaw, Dec 24, 2019.

1. MickLaw Win User

motherboard changed and activation failedafter troubleshooting

free upgraded from WIN7. Changed motherboard today and "unable to activate this device" as quote after troubleshooting. i'm guessing the motherboard's specifications affected my account and then i saw "two" devices on my account after logged-in the microsoft website. 2 names were the same but not the motherboards' description: one is OEMold one and other is my new board. As repeated many times of following microsoft's instructions for activation for hardware changing, i tried to delete the OEM device and now it told me no linked device could be found when i tried the troubleshooting again. and yet my account on the website shows my new-motherboard device is still available, which really starts to annoy me. SO HOW CAN I REACTIVATE MY WINDOWS?

:)

MickLaw, Dec 24, 2019

2. no longer activated after motherboard change. activation troubleshooter not connecting

That depends on what type of license you have of Windows 7/8/10.

If Windows 7/8/10 came preinstalled on the computer, that is called an OEM license. For an OEM license, the license dies as soon as Motherboard dies. So essentially it is non-transferable. If that is the case you need to get a new license.

However, this is not same for retail licenses i.e. you purchased the license through Microsoft store. That does carry transfer rights. If that is the case, please see the below steps:

What you need to do is to grab the key using any Software like Showkey Plus, uninstall that key from older PC and use it on another computer.

Download Showkey Plus:

ShowKeyPlus - Windows 10 Help Forums

Uninstall the key

How to deactivate Windows 10 and change the product key

Use the key by Showkey Plus on the newer computer.

Alternatively, there are two more options available other than this:

• Contact Microsoft at http://www.support.microsoft.com/contactus through chat support. They would take control of your PC and activate(might need a proof of purchase)
    • Use the Activation troubleshooter on the new PC signed in with same MS account.

Go to Settings>Update and security>Activation and run the troubleshooter.

Select I recently changed hardware on this device.

Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 24, 2019
  3. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, Dec 24, 2019
  4. motherboard changed and activation failedafter troubleshooting

windows activation after motherboard changed.

Hi Raed,

To reactivate your Windows 10 after changing your motherboard, we suggest that you check this
    article, and follow the Activation troubleshooter steps/instructions to resolve it.

Another possible resolution, you may refer to this thread, and look for
    Andre Da Costa's post.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

If you think this was useful, feel free to "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Michael Gall, Dec 24, 2019
Thema:

motherboard changed and activation failedafter troubleshooting

1. motherboard changed and activation failedafter troubleshooting - Similar Threads - motherboard changed activation

2. Changed CPU and motherboard on PC and am unable to activate windows via the troubleshoot...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed CPU and motherboard on PC and am unable to activate windows via the troubleshoot...: I recently changed hardware in my PC. When I view my devices listed on my microsoft account it displays my desktop correctly. I open the troubleshooter under activate Windows now and select I changed hardware on this device recently. After the Just a moment... loading screen...
  3. Changed CPU and motherboard on PC and am unable to activate windows via the troubleshoot...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed CPU and motherboard on PC and am unable to activate windows via the troubleshoot...: I recently changed hardware in my PC. When I view my devices listed on my microsoft account it displays my desktop correctly. I open the troubleshooter under activate Windows now and select I changed hardware on this device recently. After the Just a moment... loading screen...
  4. Changed CPU and motherboard on PC and am unable to activate windows via the troubleshoot...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Recently changed motherboard, troubleshooting won't help activate Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recently changed motherboard, troubleshooting won't help activate Windows: The goal: To activate windows on my pc since I changed my motherboard.Notes: I deactivated my previous device which was on my original, now trashed motherboard, a z170xpMy windows edition is quite literally purchased on this account so everything should be linked together to...
  6. Recently changed motherboard, troubleshooting won't help activate Windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Recently changed motherboard, troubleshooting won't help activate Windows: The goal: To activate windows on my pc since I changed my motherboard.Notes: I deactivated my previous device which was on my original, now trashed motherboard, a z170xpMy windows edition is quite literally purchased on this account so everything should be linked together to...
  7. Recently changed motherboard, troubleshooting won't help activate Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Motherboard change → The activation Issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Motherboard change → The activation Issue: My Sony Vaio Motherboard has changed. It had the OEM license, How can I activate window 10 now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/motherboard-change-the-activation-issue/a841eae6-5b69-48b2-a7bc-9506db4445fb
  9. Windows 10 fails to activate after a motherboard change despite the troubleshooter.

Windows 10 fails to activate after a motherboard change despite the troubleshooter.: Today, I upgraded both my motherboard and CPU (Along with a few case fans though I doubt that's relevant), and reinstalled Windows 10 Home Edition on my SSD to be certain that I'd have no issues. Before doing so, I absolutely double-checked that under activation, my old...
  10. Activation after motherboard change.

Activation after motherboard change.: I have three computers running Windows 10 in the house. I have just replaced the motherboard in my desktop and now it says it needs activation. I have not replaced the hard disks so it is exactly the same version of windows 10 that has run fine since doing a free upgrade from...