Windows 10: Motherboard changed, i can't activate my windown 10 pro

Discus and support Motherboard changed, i can't activate my windown 10 pro in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; After having several problems on my PC, I decided to changed my motherboard. It's not a new one but a 2nd hand or even 3rd hand. I have no idea.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by OliverToha, May 30, 2019.

1. Motherboard changed, i can't activate my windown 10 pro

After having several problems on my PC, I decided to changed my motherboard.

It's not a new one but a 2nd hand or even 3rd hand. I have no idea.

Obviously that motherboard has its own product key which I don't know where it's from.

And now, I can't activate it with my digital licensed.

When I tried to activate it, always had an error just like this:

https://i.imgur.com/FO7uwrZ.png

My Windows version:

Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1809 Build 17763.379

There was no receipt whatsoever since I got my windows 10 pro when I had a chance upgrading from windows 7.

Any idea how I activate my windows 10 pro?

:)

OliverToha, May 30, 2019

2. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, May 30, 2019
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    Windows 10 Pro's license completely glitched out after changing motherboard and CPU

We appreciate your reply. For us to know more about the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Did you manage to deactivate Windows 10 Pro first before replacing your motherboard?
    • Do you still have the written copy of your product key?
    • Are you using the same hard disk where your Windows 10 Pro product key has been activated? If not, where is this hard disk?
    • Did you replace your hard disk along with your motherboard and CPU?
    • What is the edition of Windows activated on your computer? To know, press Windows + S. Type About, and click it.

Meanwhile, we recommend that you deactivate and uninstall your Windows 10 Pro license from your old motherboard and reinstall it back on your machine using the steps below:

Step 1: Check your your Windows 10 Pro product key using Windows Powershell or Command prompt. Follow the steps below and note down your product key:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click Command Prompt (admin).
    • Enter the following command: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
      and press Enter:
    • The product key will be revealed, copy the product key.

Step 2: Deactivate and uninstall the Windows 10 Pro Product Key from the old motherboard since it has your license. Follow the steps below:

• To know the Activation ID of your Windows installation. Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr.vbs /dlv and press Enter. This will display the detailed license information for the installed operating system.
    • A window will open up and will give you details about your Windows licensing and activation status. Look for
      Activation ID and note it down.
    • On the same command prompt window, type in slmgr /upk <your Activation ID> and press
      Enter. This uninstalls the product key of the current Windows edition. After a restart, the system will be in an Unlicensed state unless a new product key is installed.

Step 3: Activate your Windows 10 Pro to your machine after uninstalling it due to a hardware change, follow the steps below:

• Open a command prompt using the Windows search box and type in
      slmgr /ipk <Windows Product Key> and press Enter.
    • If the key is valid and applicable, the key is installed. If a key is already installed, it is silently replaced. If the key is invalid, an error is returned.
    • Open your Control Panel you will see Windows is activated message.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, May 30, 2019
  4. Liam Ryan Win User

Motherboard changed, i can't activate my windown 10 pro

win 10 pro will not activate after motherboard change

win 10 pro will not activate after motherboard change, I had it linked to my microsoft account before the change, it has a digital licence as it was an upgrade from 8.1

Liam Ryan, May 30, 2019
Thema:

Motherboard changed, i can't activate my windown 10 pro

1. Motherboard changed, i can't activate my windown 10 pro - Similar Threads - Motherboard changed can't

2. Changed my motherboard, can't use old activation key for windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed my motherboard, can't use old activation key for windows 10 pro: Hi! I just upgraded my CPU + motherboard, but now my windows is not activated. I was using windows 10 pro and had an OEM key for it, it worked well, but after upgrading, it deactivated. My windows got updated to windows 11 Pro because of some windows update, but it is still...
  3. Changed my motherboard, can't use old activation key for windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed my motherboard, can't use old activation key for windows 10 pro: Hi! I just upgraded my CPU + motherboard, but now my windows is not activated. I was using windows 10 pro and had an OEM key for it, it worked well, but after upgrading, it deactivated. My windows got updated to windows 11 Pro because of some windows update, but it is still...
  4. I changed my motherboard and now I can't activate Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I changed my motherboard and now I can't activate Windows 10: I changed motherboards due to a problem with the original board but now my Windows 10 that was installed previous to the change is not activated. How can I get it activated. Windows 10 was stalled on this machine before the change. In fact it has been installed on this...
  5. I can't activate my windows after changing motherboard

I can't activate my windows after changing motherboard: I haven't been able to activate windows in my pc. Even when I entered the product key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-activate-my-windows-after-changing/26c9fbaf-ac02-4d2a-ac85-e9c3c2f93e5b
  6. I can't activate my windows 10 after changing my motherboard

I can't activate my windows 10 after changing my motherboard: I am in a bit of a tricky situation where i can't activate my windows after changing the hardware of my computer error code : 0x8007232B we can't connect your organization's activation server ... error code from"slmgr.vbs /ato" : 0x800705B4 this operation returned because...
  7. Can't activate window 10 pro after motherboard and cpu change

Can't activate window 10 pro after motherboard and cpu change: My motherboard and cpu die recently so I decided to do a small upgrade. After installing the new motherboard and cpu, get everything up and running, i got a notification to activate window. I follow the troubleshooter but still unable to activate so I remove the pc and try to...
  8. Can't activate windows 10 pro after a motherboard change

Can't activate windows 10 pro after a motherboard change: Hi everyone, I'm trying to get windows 10 pro activated again. I have two devices registered on my Microsoft account. This PC with windows 10 pro, which was a free update from windows 7 pro, and more recently a laptop which has windows 10 home. I changed my motherboard and...
  9. win 10 pro will not activate after motherboard change

win 10 pro will not activate after motherboard change: win 10 pro will not activate after motherboard change, I had it linked to my microsoft account before the change, it has a digital licence as it was an upgrade from 8.1...
  10. changed motherboard - can't activate windows 10

changed motherboard - can't activate windows 10: Hello. I have a windows 10 Pro RETAIL license. I have upgrated my mobo, cpu and ram, and after installing of new drivers, windows is NOT activated anymore. I have tried the tool to reactivate my digital license, but after logging in, it says that the windows servers are...