Windows 10: Motherboard died, can I use my Windows 10 with a new motherboard and hard drive?

Discus and support Motherboard died, can I use my Windows 10 with a new motherboard and hard drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, my Gigabyte motherboard died and I will have to replace it with another but newer Gigabyte motherboard. I have Windows 10 64 bit installed on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Robert_Jordan_2748, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Motherboard died, can I use my Windows 10 with a new motherboard and hard drive?

Hello, my Gigabyte motherboard died and I will have to replace it with another but newer Gigabyte motherboard. I have Windows 10 64 bit installed on a hardrive which I plan to keep and use with the new build. I do not plan to boot from that drive but from a new 1 terabyte solid state drive. The hard drive with windows 10 on it will be a secondary drive on my new system. Will I be able to install windows 10 on the new solid state drive without having to pay for a new install? If so, how should I proceed?

:)

Robert_Jordan_2748, Aug 29, 2020

2. Windows 10 New Hard Drive New MOtherboard

I am replacing motherboard cpu and memory and had windows 10 drive that originated from windows 7. How can install windows 10 on new hard drive

PhilWalenga, Aug 29, 2020
  3. Motherboard died... New licensed?

Hi. I am currently running windows 7 and it is/was my intention to stick with it at least until support for it finishes. My motherboards pcie port has died and rather than try and replace a 7 year old motherboard, i am replacing it with a current mobo/processor.
    As far as i understand, my license is tied with the mobo. While i could possible simply transfer windows to the new* pc/drive, i would rather do a fresh install.

Do i have to purchase a new copy of windows (10)? Or is there a way to continue with win7?

Thanks

Krovikan1701, Aug 29, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Motherboard died, can I use my Windows 10 with a new motherboard and hard drive?

Replacing the Motherboard/CPU and the Hard Drive

If you are replacing your motherboard you will probably need to purchase a new Windows 10 licence as your digital entitlement (which is stored on a Microsoft server, not on a chip) is tied to your motherboard.

It is OK to replace a hard drive or other devices, but the motherboard requires a new licence as it is essentially a new PC!

DaveM121, Aug 29, 2020
Thema:

Motherboard died, can I use my Windows 10 with a new motherboard and hard drive?

1. Motherboard died, can I use my Windows 10 with a new motherboard and hard drive? - Similar Threads - Motherboard died motherboard

2. Motherboard failure - can I swap the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Motherboard failure - can I swap the hard drive?: Hi. I have 2 identical if old Dell Zino 400 computers, one kept as a spare/back up; both run Windows 10.The one I normally use has been upgraded with SSD, CPU upgrade and more memory, and has all my programs inc MS Office on it. Unfortunately the motherboard appears to have...
  3. Motherboard failure - can I swap the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Motherboard failure - can I swap the hard drive?: Hi. I have 2 identical if old Dell Zino 400 computers, one kept as a spare/back up; both run Windows 10.The one I normally use has been upgraded with SSD, CPU upgrade and more memory, and has all my programs inc MS Office on it. Unfortunately the motherboard appears to have...
  4. Motherboard failure - can I swap the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Activated retail windows 10 on new motherboard/cpu successfully, motherboard dies, can't...

Activated retail windows 10 on new motherboard/cpu successfully, motherboard dies, can't...: So last month I upgraded my cpu and motherboard. I transferred my retail windows 10 over to the new system using the usb tool. It worked great and I was able to activate windows. Two weeks later my motherboard dies and I order a new one. I swap the motherboardsI do not...
  6. Windows 10 Oem to New motherboard and hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Oem to New motherboard and hard drive: Is it possible to transfer oem windows 10 if it is upgrade from windows 7? My brother is upgrading his computer to a Ryzen build with a ssd and has a windows 10 home key from amazon that was oem. Is it possible to then take that same key and use it with new hardware?...
  7. Windows 10 not activated after Motherboard died and new motherboard has been put in

Windows 10 not activated after Motherboard died and new motherboard has been put in: After only 3 weeks of using my new computer, my motherboard died and i had to replace it, and now my windows 10 pro key is invalid and I have a watermark in the bottom right corner of my screen that doesn't want to go away. I can't seem to solve it by using my Microsoft...
  8. new motherboard and new drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    new motherboard and new drive: How to get all the file icons back in the list for easy acces from F:// drive (my old drive) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-motherboard-and-new-drive/f82e7314-da5d-4a86-965f-8a2b0d526660
  9. Motherboard is dying?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Motherboard is dying?: Hi all I have a problem and don’t know how to proceed. Here is what was happening: Running window 10, 2 ssd drives 1st one is just C and system reserve 2nd drive is divided into 3 D-E F on E I store 2 Macrium images I turned on my PC and it booted fine, as far as...
  10. Hard drives and Motherboard Compatibility

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drives and Motherboard Compatibility: I have an Asus Z170M-E D3 and a Hardware compatibility list that I downloaded from Asus.com. My 3TB WD EZRZ isn't on that list. Does that mean I can't or shouldn't use it? 63816