Windows 10: Motherboard died - moving install to new computer build - windows 10 key

Discus and support Motherboard died - moving install to new computer build - windows 10 key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Built a computer in 2011, with a new Windows 7 license. Sometime later took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10. Last week the motherboard on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ReyL88, May 23, 2019.

1. ReyL88 Win User

Motherboard died - moving install to new computer build - windows 10 key

Built a computer in 2011, with a new Windows 7 license.

Sometime later took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10.

Last week the motherboard on that computer died.

Will be building a new computer (new motherboard, CPU, memory).

Can I download Windows 10 from the microsoft site, install it, and enter the original Windows 7 key (I think I still have the CD/DVD package with the key #). If not, can I somehow boot up in safe mode with the old drive and retrieve the Windows 10 key code?

Thanks in advance.

:)

ReyL88, May 23, 2019

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, May 23, 2019
  3. CK011885 Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, May 23, 2019
  4. r.h.p Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, May 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Motherboard died - moving install to new computer build - windows 10 key - Similar Threads - Motherboard died moving

2. Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard: Hello,I am going to be upgrading my motherboard this week, and I was hoping to clarify some things based off my searching around.What I have read is that OEM licenses can not be transferred. From what I understand OEM licenses are ones that come pre-installed with a computer...
  3. Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Windows License to a new Motherboard: Hello,I am going to be upgrading my motherboard this week, and I was hoping to clarify some things based off my searching around.What I have read is that OEM licenses can not be transferred. From what I understand OEM licenses are ones that come pre-installed with a computer...
  4. Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard: Summary: Can I move the SSD with my Windows 10 OS OEM license which is digitally connected with my MS account to my new motherboard, and sign in with my MS account to reactivate my license?I would like to address the potential problem in advance, instead of risking having to...
  5. Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard: Summary: Can I move the SSD with my Windows 10 OS OEM license which is digitally connected with my MS account to my new motherboard, and sign in with my MS account to reactivate my license?I would like to address the potential problem in advance, instead of risking having to...
  6. Moving Windows 10 to a new motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Moving SSD with Windows 10 installed to a new build?

Moving SSD with Windows 10 installed to a new build?: Planning on building a new PC fairly soon once the RTX 3080 releases. Probably going to replace everything in my current build with the exception of my three hard drives, one of which is an SSD with Windows installed on it. Is it possible to simply move the SSD to the new...
  8. Wanna replace the motherboard and CPU and move Windows 10 to the new build and remove it...

Wanna replace the motherboard and CPU and move Windows 10 to the new build and remove it...: Hello! My Windows 10 is a free upgrade from a genuine physical copy of Windows 7 still have the package and it is activated. Does this combination allow me to move Windows 10 to a new computer? New motherboard and CPU make it a new computer, I believe. I linked Windows...
  9. Moving Windows 10 to a new build

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Windows 10 to a new build: Hey guys; I'm planning a new build this year, and would like to save some money by moving my Windows 10 Pro license to the new build. My old machine will not be running Windows after the new build. My current Windows 10 Pro license is the free upgrade from Windows 7...
  10. Moving Windows to a new CPU and Motherboard

Moving Windows to a new CPU and Motherboard: Hi, I am upgrading my motherboard and wonder what will happen when I move my version of windows to this new piece of hardware. I have my Microsoft account linked to my digital license, so I have heard that when booting on the new motherboard ASUS STRIX Z390-E Windows will do...