Windows 10: Motherboard died without notice, upgraded to a new, different one. How do I activate my...

Discus and support Motherboard died without notice, upgraded to a new, different one. How do I activate my... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Motherboard died unexpectedly, so I didn’t have the chance to follow the standard deactivation procedure before upgrading the components. I also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/EeK09, Jan 3, 2020.

1. /u/EeK09 Win User

Motherboard died without notice, upgraded to a new, different one. How do I activate my...

Motherboard died unexpectedly, so I didn’t have the chance to follow the standard deactivation procedure before upgrading the components.

I also haven’t turned on the machine since upgrading (was waiting for my thermal paste to arrive), but I’m already looking for possible answers on how to activate the same license that’s still tied to my old mobo, in a system which was running with a local account.

For reference, I performed a clean installation of 1903 back in May of last year, and activated my preexisting license... somehow (can’t remember what exactly I did). I followed online guides to avoid all forms of telemetry, and purposefully skipped the Microsoft account part to use only a local account with my system.

I do have a MS account, though, which I use for Xbox games, and which I’d also used with my copy of Windows until upgrading to 1903. I assume that the license is still tied to it, but have no idea how to activate it from scratch, on a different mobo, with a local account (I plan on keep using Windows that way).

Any tips for a smooth transition?

submitted by /u/EeK09
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/EeK09, Jan 3, 2020
  2. mshimala Win User

Windows saying not activated after motherboard upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded some PC parts (new motherboard, RAM, processor, video card) and ever since then I have a watermark in the bottom right of my display reading "Activate Windows - Go to Settings to activate Windows."

I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 back when they were allowing Windows 8 users to upgrade to Windows 10. I don't remember receiving an activation key during this upgrade.

I've read online that installing a new motherboard can occasionally cause issues with OS activation. How can I reactivate my Windows without having to purchase Windows 10.

Some things to note:
    • This watermark was not there prior to installing the new motherboard
    • As some places (and a Microsoft Tech Support member) suggested, typing the query "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" into CMD just returns with "OA3xOriginalProductKey". The Microsoft Support member seemed confused by this and said there was nothing further she could do.

Thanks!

mshimala, Jan 3, 2020
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    Activation after new hardware upgrades?

But you had never upgraded that motherboard from Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 previously? That was the first step of my suggestion.

It should have been install fresh SSD on the new motherboard. Install Windows 7 on it. Upgrade it to Windows 10. THEN copy the other Windows 10 image over to it.

NavyLCDR, Jan 3, 2020
  4. Motherboard died without notice, upgraded to a new, different one. How do I activate my...

Windows 10 activation with new motherboard

I've tried contacting Microsoft support by both chat (twice) and phone, and none of it was helpful. And so I'm posting the problem here.

I have a laptop that was originally running Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 last month via the free upgrade option, and things were working fine for a while. However, a motherboard issue forced me to replace the motherboard yesterday. This also required me to move the old hard drive and CPU to the new motherboard.

Now, my problem is this: while I do still have Windows 10 installed on my device, it is an evaluation copy; it is not activated as the full product. Some research told me that the free W10 upgrade is linked to the device's hardware, something I didn't know. Since I'm using a different motherboard now, Microsoft apparently doesn't recognize that I DO own a full version of W10 courtesy of the free upgrade.

So now I'm wondering whether there is a way to transfer my W10 license to the new motherboard so it will activate. And before you ask/suggest anything:
    • My original sticker on the bottom of my computer with the W7 license key on it fell off a long time ago. So no, I don't have that.
    • I tried contacting Dell to get my original product key, and they refused to help me because I'm out of warranty, even though what I'm asking them for is very simple.

Any help is appreciated.

HotWingsFTW, Jan 3, 2020
Thema:

Motherboard died without notice, upgraded to a new, different one. How do I activate my...

1. Motherboard died without notice, upgraded to a new, different one. How do I activate my... - Similar Threads - Motherboard died without

2. My motherboard died. I replaced the motherboard. How do I recover my Windows 10 licence key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    My motherboard died. I replaced the motherboard. How do I recover my Windows 10 licence key: My motherboard died. I replaced the motherboard. How do I recover my Windows 10 licence key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-motherboard-died-i-replaced-the-motherboard-how/67f1cb11-ee4a-4239-964f-cbd2726f50a0
  3. My motherboard died. I replaced the motherboard. How do I recover my Windows 10 licence key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My motherboard died. I replaced the motherboard. How do I recover my Windows 10 licence key: My motherboard died. I replaced the motherboard. How do I recover my Windows 10 licence key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-motherboard-died-i-replaced-the-motherboard-how/67f1cb11-ee4a-4239-964f-cbd2726f50a0
  4. My motherboard died. I replaced the motherboard. How do I recover my Windows 10 licence key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My motherboard broke. Got a new one and can't get windows 10 to activate. How do I activate...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My motherboard broke. Got a new one and can't get windows 10 to activate. How do I activate...: My motherboard was damaged physically so I bought a new one, with a new CPU as well. I have windows 10 pro installed on my SSD but it can't boot on the new hardware, which is understandable. I did a new installation of windows and entered the same product key but it doesn't...
  6. My motherboard broke. Got a new one and can't get windows 10 to activate. How do I activate...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My motherboard broke. Got a new one and can't get windows 10 to activate. How do I activate...: My motherboard was damaged physically so I bought a new one, with a new CPU as well. I have windows 10 pro installed on my SSD but it can't boot on the new hardware, which is understandable. I did a new installation of windows and entered the same product key but it doesn't...
  7. My motherboard broke. Got a new one and can't get windows 10 to activate. How do I activate...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. My old PC died, I built a new one but how do I activate Windows 10??

My old PC died, I built a new one but how do I activate Windows 10??: Hi, My old PC died running Windows 10 Pro, So I built a new PC. How do I activate windows again???? (I haven't got the code) I can see both PC's in my devices on my account. I have tried settings>Security>Activate >troubleshooting to activate but the only device that...
  9. My Motherboard died what do i do to get windows on my new build

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My Motherboard died what do i do to get windows on my new build: the motherboard on my computer died so im buying all new parts but still have all of the drives and the boot drive that has windows on it. i really do not want to have to buy windows 10 over again because that was very expensive and i do not have my product key any more. any...
  10. Motherboard Died - Windows 10 Activation

Motherboard Died - Windows 10 Activation: So my motherboard died (I'm writing this from my wife's laptop) and I have to replace it. I've replaced many motherboards in my long career and by far the Windows 7 replacements were the easiest. But now that I have the free Windows 10 upgrade (from Windows 7) on the PC I'm...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. motherboard died windows 10 activation